Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Ebay and combined shipping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ebay and combined shipping
 Login/Join

Picture of STCardGeek
posted
Not sure if it's been discussed here, but Ebay has made some big changes recently.
First, there Internationsl shiping service, they made us sign up (funny how it was voluntary and then they mandated it, literally changing our settings to accept it and remove the PO's shipping) but they have also changed accepting best offers for US and overseas. They are forced to pay as they accept each card, even if they're buying many cards.
I seem to be able to combine US auction wins, until they stop that too, I suppose.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: STCardGeek,

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Can't you just ignore it. Once you get the buyer's address, just pack the box and go to the post office if you want and then notify the buyer directly that the box was sent.

Also, I think the seller would still have control over the prices of individual items using the "request a total" or "request an invoice" option.

In the past, Ebay has pushed sellers to improve their descriptions and lower prices on items that sit for a while so I don't understand why it is interfering with "Best Offers." It would be actually discouraging a buyer from purchasing multiple items.

quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
Not sure if it's been discussed here, but Ebay has made some big changes recently.
First, there Internationsl shiping service, they made us sign up (funny how it was voluntary and then they mandated it, literally changing our settings to accept it and remove the PO's shipping) but they have also changed accepting best offers for US and overseas. They are forced to pay as they accept each card, even if they're buying many cards.
I seem to be able to combine US auction wins, until they stop that too, I suppose.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I may be misunderstanding, but since ebay takes the shipping payment, I only get the equivalent of US postage), I wouldn't have nearly enough to cover international shipping. Also I can't just tell the buyer it shipped, I'd have to upload tracking (since I'm a top seller category), not sure if they'd let me add my own tracking for their shipping plan.
International is easy to resolve though, opt out of their plan and then edit 1000 items to add in the old USPS method. (Did I say easy?) I wish they had t of forced us to take their shipping as an option.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Can't you just ignore it. Once you get the buyer's address, just pack the box and go to the post office if you want and then notify the buyer directly that the box was sent.

Also, I think the seller would still have control over the prices of individual items using the "request a total" or "request an invoice" option.

In the past, Ebay has pushed sellers to improve their descriptions and lower prices on items that sit for a while so I don't understand why it is interfering with "Best Offers." It would be actually discouraging a buyer from purchasing multiple items.

quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
The request option may not work on the best offer option since ebay is making them pay as soon as they accept the offer. No time to request it.
Requesting an invoice does work for auctions.

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
There are two settings u det buyer requirements that may resolve the US combined issue. Won't help with international though.
I had the immediate payment set to off, but it appears we were opted in by ebay.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Related to this...This month, I made an offer on an item and had to submit Paypal info with the offer. Previously, it was always that an offer was made and the seller had to accept it before payment was requested by Ebay.

The offer was accepted but I didn't get an "Offer Accepted" email. I just got an order confirmation. It seems Ebay thinks if it dangles the actual money in front of the seller, the seller is more likely to accept it.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Related to this...This month, I made an offer on an item and had to submit Paypal info with the offer. Previously, it was always that an offer was made and the seller had to accept it before payment was requested by Ebay.

The offer was accepted but I didn't get an "Offer Accepted" email. I just got an order confirmation. It seems Ebay thinks if it dangles the actual money in front of the seller, the seller is more likely to accept it.

This is a VERY positive move for sellers. Nothing worse than accepting an offer thus ending the item and then it sits unpaid for a week before you can cancel it

But yes, it makes it impossible to make an offer on 2 items and get them combined. So there is a downside.

eBay would like to go to everything is "Free" shipping. They just don't have the guts to force the issue with sellers.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
eBay would like to go to everything is "Free" shipping. They just don't have the guts to force the issue with sellers.

Ed

There is no such thing as a free ride and whenever most sellers are forced to go to free shipping to compete, other things will happen to make up the difference or more. BINs will be set higher, or minimums put on.

I don't begrudge sellers charging shipping costs or having to add for insurance that protects them from loss. That is legitimate cost to them, which keeps going up from the PO, and the buyers must accept it or go elsewhere in person.

What I won't accept is a seller who charges me $6 per item for 3 items that I bought in the same hour. I don't really care whether it was mandated by some eBay shipping rule or just the seller's idea. I don't really care if I do get 3 separate packages, or if the seller decides everything can fit in the same package.

If I buy multiple items from the same seller while the first items are not yet shipped, I expect combined shipping charges. I expect adjustments to be made to my account. When I use a seller like this once and I get separately charged for each item, either I never use them again or, only when absolutely necessary, I will just purchase a single item at a time.

I don't care why sellers won't or can't combine shipping. I'm not paying $18 to send 3 cards worth $25 and bought minutes apart.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't had that problem with a buyer making an offer, getting it accepted but then not paying within around 24 hours and when I make an offer and it gets accepted, I always pay within 24 hours. Hey, I want that.

I don't sell a lot so I haven't had to deal with too many problems.

Yeah, Ebay has to fix that combined shipping loose end. Buyers need to complain. Ebay will find a fix when it hears people are deciding not to buy one or two more things because of the Ebay system itself.

quote:
quote:

This is a VERY positive move for sellers. Nothing worse than accepting an offer thus ending the item and then it sits unpaid for a week before you can cancel it

But yes, it makes it impossible to make an offer on 2 items and get them combined. So there is a downside.

Ed

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I do free shipping but I also don't sell anything for less than around $20. After shipping and Ebay fees, I make maybe 12-13 bucks for a $20 item. It's not worth the time/hassle of going to the post office for that.

I see some sellers offering cards for a dollar and charging a dollar (or less) for shipping. They must sell enough stuff in a week for a post office run more than once-per-week or they live walking distance from a post office.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Ed

There is no such thing as a free ride and whenever most sellers are forced to go to free shipping to compete, other things will happen to make up the difference or more. BINs will be set higher, or minimums put on.

I don't begrudge sellers charging shipping costs or having to add for insurance that protects them from loss. That is legitimate cost to them, which keeps going up from the PO, and the buyers must accept it or go elsewhere in person.

What I won't accept is a seller who charges me $6 per item for 3 items that I bought in the same hour. I don't really care whether it was mandated by some eBay shipping rule or just the seller's idea. I don't really care if I do get 3 separate packages, or if the seller decides everything can fit in the same package.

If I buy multiple items from the same seller while the first items are not yet shipped, I expect combined shipping charges. I expect adjustments to be made to my account. When I use a seller like this once and I get separately charged for each item, either I never use them again or, only when absolutely necessary, I will just purchase a single item at a time.

I don't care why sellers won't or can't combine shipping. I'm not paying $18 to send 3 cards worth $25 and bought minutes apart.