Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books about cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
I looked for a thread on Card Talk about books on cards but didn't see one so I'm starting one with a review of Gary Gerani's recently-published "The Card King Chronicles: Vol. 1: The 70's." It's the first finished volume of a planned set of five autobiographical books covering his creative life - his time as a writer/editor/art director among other jobs. Chapter 1 covers his childhood and his interest in drawing and filmmaking as well as his discovery and collecting of trading cards in the 1960s. The following chapters are each devoted to a year starting with 1972 when he was hired at Topps Chewing Gum. The book closes with an epilogue as he recalls looking forward to the 80's.

I enjoyed reading "The Card King Chronicles." Gerani certainly loved his early years at Topps. His enduring enthusiasm jumps from the pages. He provides background info on all the favorite sets, the lesser-remembered ones (at least to me), and the test sets. The reader learns why some products were cards and others had to be stickers or something else. We watch his rise within the company across the 70's, hired at first to write gags for card and sticker projects but he soon pivoted to editor and then art director just as Topps, itself, was evolving from finding ways to sell bubblegum to kids to telling stories on trading cards for kids and adults (not that selling gum wasn't serious business). This book also tells a basic story of someone finding his niche, not landing a job he had imagined but still spotted as someone who could fit in with a team of highly creative people and contribute as part of the next generation of talent at the company.

Any negatives? The book could've used a round of editing itself. There are numerous typos (even on the back cover) so at times it reads like a near-finished final draft but with all the artwork ready to go. I get the feeling it was rushed to publication so copies would be available for the October Philly Show. Volume 2 (The 80's) is said to be shooting for a release this October as well. Even with this minor quibble about typos, I highly recommend this book to trading card collectors and others interested in the history of what became The Topps Company.

Posts: 4387 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One other thing, when you buy a copy of the book, you get it signed to you plus two signed sketch cards as well. I received one of "The Colossals" and one of the "Card King Kiddies."

Posts: 4387 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Card King Chronicles: Vol. 1: The 70's

I have a criticism not about the book but about the publisher and their website. One part of the website states No International Orders and the shop part states for International orders shipping would be $15 yet when you try to order the only selection for Country on their automated address details the only option is United States thus preventing an international order. I tried using the contact facility on their website but could not get past the telephone number requirement as it would not accept by landline number as I don't have a mobile number.
John

Posts: 2120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lindsey and I interviewed Gary Gerani a couple of months ago, and he chatted a lot about both the book projects and his experiences, if anyone is interested Smile

https://youtu.be/mCpug3mRMm4?si=gbGKvHec9qqLuMRU

Posts: 71 | Location: Province of Quebec | Registered: March 27, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post