Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange Omissions
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
There were several country music sets in the early 1990s: Tenny, Branson on Stage, Collect-A-Card, Sterling Country Gold. Plus the Panini set of a decade ago.
Dolly Parton doesn't appear in any of them. The only mainstream US card she has is from when she was on the cover of Playboy.

Another big omission is Alan Rickman in the Robin Hood Prince of Thieves set -- he only appears in a long shot on one card.

Several of the stars of the Mars Attacks movie are missing from the set: Jack Nicholson, Pierce Brosnan, Glenn Close, others.

Jenette Goldstein and Xander Berkeley should be in the Terminator 2 set.

The Upper Deck Aliens set has big holes -- Jenette Goldstein, Bill Paxton, Michael Biehn, Al Matthews.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Not sure how the contracts work, but some celebrities make a greater effort to own their images, so that when the studios grant a license for the project, they have to agree to negotiate individually in order to be included. Some just won't sign a contract for their own reasons. It's not always about the money. Some just don't believe in it ever, or they may be having a temporary beef with the project's management.

Just for Aliens, I know Michael Biehn and Jenette Goldstein ran hot and cold. Sometimes they were in, most of the time they were out. Paxton was just more of a busy guy, than a flaky one.

I loved Alan Rickman since "Die Hard". I wish he had been more accessible to the hobby, but it wasn't his thing.

Posts: 10401 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure Al and Bill passed away just before that set was released but yeah. Almost looks like some of them have image rights that they weren't willing to give up.

Which explains why they didn't sign for the sets either.

Going to meet Michael Biehn next month.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4857 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Biehn's a fun interview. Definitely has his own take on things and he's been in some great films. He doesn't seem like your typical actor and maybe that kept him from even bigger roles in his career. I get the impression that he doesn't care. Smile

Posts: 10401 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Madonna was totally missing from the Rittenhouse Die Another Day set.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
At one time there were rumors of an upcoming Apollo 13 set. It never showed, and speculation was that it didn't happen because one of the stars wouldn't agree.

OF the main stars, only Bill Paxton and Gary Sinise have mainstream licensed cards. Nothing for Hanks, Kevin Bacon, Ed Harris, Kathleen Quinlan. It would have been a good set to have gotten all of them.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nicholson, Brosnan, Close, Bening, Steiger, Tom Jones, and Lucas Haas are all prominent in the oversized Mars Attacks movie promo set that was available through a Barclays Bank promotion in the UK. I have one of the cards somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
There were several country music sets in the early 1990s: Tenny, Branson on Stage, Collect-A-Card, Sterling Country Gold. Plus the Panini set of a decade ago.
Dolly Parton doesn't appear in any of them. The only mainstream US card she has is from when she was on the cover of Playboy.

Another big omission is Alan Rickman in the Robin Hood Prince of Thieves set -- he only appears in a long shot on one card.

Several of the stars of the Mars Attacks movie are missing from the set: Jack Nicholson, Pierce Brosnan, Glenn Close, others.

Jenette Goldstein and Xander Berkeley should be in the Terminator 2 set.

The Upper Deck Aliens set has big holes -- Jenette Goldstein, Bill Paxton, Michael Biehn, Al Matthews.

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
The most prominent set to me is Close Encounters of the Third Kind missing Richard Dreyfuss. The story is completely shifted.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Granted, I haven't gone over all the cards but it appears that Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire do not appear as themselves in the new No Way Home product. They appear as their versions of Spider-Man but aren't unmasked. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Posts: 275 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
RRParks did all of those Three Stooges card sets. Someone said that he was not allowed to use photos of Lucille Ball who had a supporting role in their 1934 football short Three Little Pigskins, many years before she became famous. I never understood that. Doesn't Columbia Pictures completely own the rights to the film ? How can Lucille Ball's estate control images of her from a movie that she didn't produce ? I can understand I Love Lucy but not something like this.

Posts: 4007 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The one we have discussed before is the omission of some very well-known stars from the otherwise very complete Twilight Zone sets. You can't find Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson or Elizabeth Montgomery on those cards. Even their episodes are barely mentioned.

I think in these cases permission is all in the original contracts, and if it's not there from the start, selling the license to someone else just doesn't include those people. It could be someone big protecting their image, or it could be someone of no consequence that no one needed to include at the time. Lucille Ball was a nobody in 1934, but now her Estate would want a good sum of money to grant approvable for any new product.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is there a Carol Burnett Twilight Zone card?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
We're still about 5 years away from "Three Little Pigskins" becoming public domain unless Lucille Ball's estate has a way to delay it further.

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a Carol Burnett Twilight Zone card?

Well she's done no autograph card and I don't recall a base card appearance, but that would have to be researched.

Besides those 4 already mentioned, here are several known actors who made at least a small TZ appearance, but I don't recall a photo on a card. Sorry in advance if I missed their cards.

Peter Falk, Sally Kellerman, Robert Redford, James Coburn, Telly Savalas, Donald Pleasance, Ted Knight. Robert Duvall, Dennis Hopper, Roddy McDowall and Agnes Morehead.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
We're still about 5 years away from "Three Little Pigskins" becoming public domain unless Lucille Ball's estate has a way to delay it further.

Public domain is a copyright issue, and is governed by federal law. The use of likenesses and publicity rights are governed by state law. They aren't the same thing.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For those of you who haven't seen "Three Little Pigskins", it involves gangsters trying to win a football game by hiring the Stooges under the mistaken belief that they are star college players. Lucy has a few brief scenes as one of gansters' girlfriends

Posts: 4007 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Twilight Zone episode "Two", the one with Charles Bronson and Elizabeth Montgomery, must have been really locked up. As Raven says, there doesn't seem to be any cards of either of the stars. And in the two sets that should have an episode card (2009 and 2019), one has a text only description with no picture, and the other, instead of a picture of one of the stars, has a shot of a hand (Bronson's?) holding a newspaper.

There are cards of most of the stars that Raven lists, but sometimes the likeness is pretty poor:

Roddy McDowall

Donald Plesence

Robert Duvall

Peter Falk

Dennis Hopper

Agnes Morehead

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Mullins,

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The 1976 Topps King Kong set is missing almost the entire cast. Jessica Lange is recognizable in a number of cards, but that's all. All of the other cards feature shots of the ape, long shots with no recognizable people, people in masks, or production art.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Mentioned this in my case break but the latest Highlander release has no Sean Connery images.

Posts: 4857 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Twilight Zone episode "Two", the one with Charles Bronson and Elizabeth Montgomery, must have been really locked up. As Raven says, there doesn't seem to be any cards of either of the stars. And in the two sets that should have an episode card (2009 and 2019), one has a text only description with no picture, and the other, instead of a picture of one of the stars, has a shot of a hand (Bronson's?) holding a newspaper.

There are cards of most of the stars that Raven lists, but sometimes the likeness is pretty poor:

Roddy McDowall

Donald Plesence

Robert Duvall

Peter Falk

Dennis Hopper

Agnes Morehead

Rittenhouse probably couldn’t get affordable likeness approvals from the various Estates of these actors.

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post