Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Historic Cards
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
Hi all,

Does anyone collect historic (as in theme although age could come into it) sets?

I'm looking into finding reasonably priced sets I could purchase to begin building up a series.

Since I'm not sure what sets have been released and raritiy of these, would it be best to focus on one area ie military and one historic time period ie World War Two?

Any help is much appreciated. Wave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TC00,

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
I changed the topic I originally posted so hope no one minds me giving this thread a *bump* Smile

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of checklists posted in the "History/Nostalgia" section: http://nslists.com/nostalgi.htm#hist

Most of them are reasonably priced, because if you try to collect all genres, it's tough to afford some of the older or limited cards.

But since you're in UK, you might find even more things of interest (over a huge range of pricings and ages) if you dip your toe into the tobacco/tea/trade-cards universe, where history is a specialty. And popular culture or scenery published 100 years ago is all history now! There's a surprising number of complete card sets selling for less than £5.

As for specialties, history hasn't been a big draw for "mainstream" (cards in packs, sold at retail counters) but has been very popular in product inserts. And one reason the tobacco/tea/trade cards sets can be cheap is that the manufacturers also sold them separately as complete sets. Mainstream expanded its horizons (sort of) briefly in the early 1990s, but then mostly gave up, so you can find a big selection of series for Desert Storm. A lot of the earlier mainstream historic sets are military related, but more often things like favorite airplanes etc. About all you see these days from the mainstream is when some Royals decide to get hitched. From the U.S. side, the big draws have been occasional sets like Americana.

Good luck!

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with Jeff - if you look outside the regular 2.5" x 3.5" card world, you'll find a ton of historically themed cards; prime examples are the Brooke Bond PG Tips tea cards, which covered a wide array of subjects (from animals to the future of space travel) and which you can pick up for relatively low prices (sometimes including the little booklets into which the cards were to be stuck!)
Search for 'PG Tips' and you'll see what I mean!
Be careful with cigarette cards though - although these also covered a range of topics, you need to be sure you are looking are originals - some sets have been reproduced in recent years.
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Cult Stuff here in the UK have just recently done an historical set called Military Propaganda Posters.

This is a superb set which i cannot recommened enough as a great way to start your collection.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help/replies.

Have my eye on some reasonably priced sets to kick start my collection.

Thanks again Wavey