Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    The ad's are getting more cunning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The ad's are getting more cunning
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
Have you noticed lately that some posts to this forum quite often have a word that is underlined. If you roll your mouse over that underlined word an ad appears! These guys are getting moe cunning (and pervasive) by the minute. Shouldn't there be an infringement law somewhere which protects an innocent post from been adulterated like this??

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Report any posts like that and the moderators will remove them

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Huh? I know the type of ads you are talking about but we don't have that kind of functionality here in Card Talk. The only thing we have are plain ole links. No pop up ads.

But like Hammer says, if you see anything hinky, please report it. Ther is a 'report this post' icon under every post.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
It could also be soemthing on your end that we don't see. Do a google search on:

random words underlined ads

or something along those lines and see articles about it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: STCardGeek,

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Curiouser and curiouser said Alice! Well let's run a test then. On my original post the second sentence starts with "If you roll..." and on my computer the word "roll" is underlined and putting your cursor over it brings up a pop-up ad for a money making scheme. Can anyone else see that?

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Hah! I've just discovered this. Check it out.

http://text-enhance.com/

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
Curiouser and curiouser said Alice! Well let's run a test then. On my original post the second sentence starts with "If you roll..." and on my computer the word "roll" is underlined and putting your cursor over it brings up a pop-up ad for a money making scheme. Can anyone else see that?
Certainly not seeing that on my computer. Under the circumstances, I think I'll skip checking out the link you've posted Big Grin

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:

I don't see anything on my computer either.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I don't see the underlined either. (the link is an article about one of the means companys include underline words in browsers.
Your best bet is to ignore them or seach for browsers that are less prone to it (if possible) But, mostly, just read what you came for and ignore their little enticements. But, this is not something of the board's doing it's jsut the evil nature of ads Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Don't see anything like that when I read forum posts. If you search the web a lot and don't have just the right settings on applications, or don't have enough security protection on your PC, all sorts of junk gets deposited that you don't even know is there.

You should research it and remove whatever it is that's giving you unwanted links. Ramp up your security as high as you can and still function. There is no such thing as being paranoid on the internet, they are all out to get you. Big Grin

Posts: 10406 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I agree with everyone else (and do not see the underlined items you point out on my computer). As I said originally, I've seen that functionality on other sites but we don't have it here. Hope you can get rid of it or use a different browser.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
OK I've got it resolved. After a search on Google I have found out that it is a nasty little piece of malware that often sneaks in while you are downloading something quite inocuous (Like Google Chrome for instance). Once you have got it, it is extremekly difficult to rid yourself of it. However, I have now managed to do that but it does raise the question as to who in their right mind would want to buy any product from a company that uses such aggressive tactics as this? The world has gone to hell in a handcart.