Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    SDCC 2023 Promo Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SDCC 2023 Promo Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Have seen an Upper Deck Spider-Man Funko Pop card that says PROMO on it.

Any other promos at the show besides gaming cards?

Posts: 4009 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Will Cryptozoic have anything new at SDCC ?

Posts: 4009 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have also seen an Upper Deck Black Panther Funko Pop card that says PROMO on it

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Have also seen an Upper Deck Black Panther Funko Pop card that says PROMO on it

I've read UD has a different Funko promo every day, but you have to buy a box to get it each day. Kinda defeats the purpose of a promo?

Posts: 1571 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have seen one of Thor also. Each card comes with the box of cards-- a mere $ 300 on Ebay. Frown

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Those promos are serially numbered to 1,000. I bought one box and got Black Panther 991/1000. The guy said it's a different one each day. That makes me think they made 5,000 boxes of this. I'm leaving mine sealed for the moment.

quote:
Will Cryptozoic have anything new at SDCC ?

I went by on Thursday to the booth they are listed at, but it seemed to be a hybrid booth with other non-Cryptozoic concerns going on there. One worker told me someone from Cryptozoic would be there Saturday when I asked about their trading cards, but unfortunately, I'm here (far from San Diego) and not there (San Diego) today.

We do get to go back tomorrow, so I'll take another pass at the booth. I'm very interested in their upcoming "Freak Brothers" and "What We Do In the Shadows" sets, and would love some first hand info, even if no promos.

I'm hoping to take a little more time to visit the (few) card dealers there on Sunday, so I'll make some report beyond what follows early next week, though there may not be much more.

No promos from Upper Deck, although they were selling blasters of Shang-Chi, WandaVision, Falcon and Winter-Soldier, and I think, Avengers Ultra. I'm not collecting those, so I didn't buy any. I did get a pack of World of Warcraft cards that came with a free 9 card sheet, with purchase (which seems to be a theme.)

I can say now that Topps was basically a little corner of the Star Wars booth and had only one promo card, a #0 Jabba, available to those pre-ordering the new Star Wars 2023 "Flagship" set there on-site while Panini is mostly (quickly sold out) blaster boxes of sports trading cards with no non-sports to speak of, save some album stickers.

There is a Metazoo booth giving out promo cards (including Hello Kitty characters) 4 times each day. They go fast (none for us the two times we walked over there), and you can see why: they sell instantly for $80 to $100 each on Ebay.

I did stop by Cardsmiths and bought some Preview packs of "Killer Klowns". There were no promos I saw at this booth either. I'm going to go by again tomorrow and if they have anything left, I might buy at least one pack of the other things. They are previewing several different sets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. I haven't been to SDCC in over 20 years now. It was huge back then but people say it's even more huge now. I remember going to a Star Wars panel discussion at the 2001 SDCC and the show exclusive Star Wars Evolution promo P4 was handed out afterwards. I thought that was going to be a valuable card, and it did go for more than the average promo at the time (around $10) but these days, it's a tough sell at $5 even though you don't see a lot of them offered.

For the moment, those Black Panther promos are going for $30-40

I knew Hello Kitty had a huge following but those selling prices are crazy. Sell them while they're hot if you get any and you're not particularly interested in them.

I hope you find more stuff and look forward to the next report.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
RE: UD's Funko/Marvel Cards

quote:
Those promos are serially numbered to 1,000. I bought one box and got Black Panther 991/1000. The guy said it's a different one each day. That makes me think they made 5,000 boxes of this. I'm leaving mine sealed for the moment.

Well 5000 boxes is 120,00 packs

Sketches are 1:11,500 Packs.

So, rounding up, that's 11 Sketches total or
1 in 479 boxes.

Seems pretty crazy for something that's prominent on the box. I'm guessing they roll this out other ways including ePack. The stickers say SDCC Debut, not exclusive.

Very odd product.

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Jabba the Hutt promo #0 also comes as an orange variant limited to 299. One is on Ebay now

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have seen a fourth Funko promo, Captain America

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like the Jabba the Hutt promo #0 also comes as an orange variant limited to 299. One is on Ebay now

I got one numbered to /25 today, so that's gotta be one of the rarer versions. There's also a green version numbered to /499. Someone on Ebay claimed the regular flat grey version is limited to 1200, but I'm not sure if that's true. I also have a gold foil that is unnumbered.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember about 8 to 10 years ago Topps had that 4 card promo set at the SW Celebration show in Florida that you could only get by buying boxes of cards at Topps table, and there was a different card each day. Aside from that I can't recall Topps doing any other pre order Star Wars promos

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The fifth Funko promo card is the Hulk

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is a very unique Alice in Wonderland acetate card called Fairy Tale Fantasies by artist J. Scott Campbell from the show. SDCC exclusive. Says 2023 Sneak Preview Card on the back. Someone said only 500 made. They are asking $ 100 and up for them on Ebay.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In case anyone is wondering, there were NO cards by Ndbag and the Boogeyman this year.

He's had new cards at SDCC every single year, 2009 to 2019, and then again in 2022, but none 2020-2021 or this year.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Although they are not promos, Cardsmith had Dragons Lair and Killer Klowns preview packs at SDCC which I believe had 6 cards each.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, I noticed a few a couple of days ago. At auction, they end up in the $65-75 range.

quote:
There is a very unique Alice in Wonderland acetate card called Fairy Tale Fantasies by artist J. Scott Campbell from the show. SDCC exclusive. Says 2023 Sneak Preview Card on the back. Someone said only 500 made. They are asking $ 100 and up for them on Ebay.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have seen the Jabba the Hutt #0 card as a green parallel (25 made), silver foil, gold foil, a red foil limited to 199, an orange version limited to 299, and a different green version limited to 499.

So including the regular one, at least 7 different

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although they are not promos, Cardsmith had Dragons Lair and Killer Klowns preview packs at SDCC which I believe had 6 cards each.

The Dragon's Lair was $20 and is a complete set of 6 plus a bonus foil or throwback (on vintage-style card stock). The Killer Klowns were $12 but is not a complete-set-in-one, so you'd need to open more than one pack to make a full preview set.
They also had a limited version of an existing "Street Fighter" set, 2 packs in a little box for $20. These had green borders as opposed to the original version, and there were also some new chase/parallels cards in those.

There was also two different 4 card sets based on anime TV shows that air on the Crunchyroll channel and available at that booth.

There were also Rittenhouse Promo cards from Doctor Who that were SDCC exclusives with logo. These were given away at the Doctor Who booth, but I was only able to get 1 featuring David Tennant as whatever number Doctor he was. I think it was 5 cards, one for each day, and they comprised the five most recent Doctors, including the new one, who I don't think has debuted yet.

I'll try to add some pictures of these shortly.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, I wasn't aware of the Dr. Who promos ! Searching around I have seen just these 2:

SDCC1 The Fifteenth Doctor (Gatwa)
SDCC2 The Fourteenth Doctor (Tennant)