Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NSU Price increase
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
I feel bad that I'm the one breaking this news, but the price of NSU is going up with the Oct/Nov issue.

So, if you subscribe it might be a good time to renew.

If you pick it up at a LCS or bookstore, be aware that it's coming with the issue shipping in September.

I'll have the last few issues at the shows in Chicago and Philly. But with my scaling back on travel shows, this is definitely going to make me think long and hard about my commitment going forward.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well that's not good news, but hardly unexpected. The NY Daily News costs $3 a day without a subscription now and it's got like 25 pages for the whole thing. Once most advertisers left print publications, the actual circulation numbers weren't enough to cover expenses for them. They cut back and then cut out. I used to subscribe to about a total of 7 weekly, monthly, and semi-monthly magazines and papers. Now I get NSU, the others went online or closed down altogether.

So I would suggest that non-sport card collectors and readers subscribe to NSU. Unless you have trouble getting your mail, it will be cheaper than the new price and you won't have to hunt around for it. It's not like there is anything else, so try to preserve what we can, as long as we can. Wink

Posts: 10405 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I hope it’s cheaper than the $9.99 like the other Beckett publications

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'll keep buying it at Barnes & Noble. I want to encourage the chain to continue carrying it. NSU needs impulse buyers and there won't be enough of them if you can only find it in some comic shops/hobby stores and maybe at a collectibles show. The last time I was at a Books-A-Million store, it was still on the rack.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Well that's not good news, but hardly unexpected. The NY Daily News costs $3 a day without a subscription now and it's got like 25 pages for the whole thing. Once most advertisers left print publications, the actual circulation numbers weren't enough to cover expenses for them. They cut back and then cut out. I used to subscribe to about a total of 7 weekly, monthly, and semi-monthly magazines and papers. Now I get NSU, the others went online or closed down altogether.

So I would suggest that non-sport card collectors and readers subscribe to NSU. Unless you have trouble getting your mail, it will be cheaper than the new price and you won't have to hunt around for it. It's not like there is anything else, so try to preserve what we can, as long as we can. Wink

Posts: 4392 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think the price will bump up 50 cents or maybe a buck. I hope they add some pages, but as Raven indicated. $6.99 isn't bad for a magazine focusing on trading cards and bagged with at least one exclusive promo.

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
I hope it’s cheaper than the $9.99 like the other Beckett publications

Posts: 4392 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
At least you can buy it in America, i have not seen a copy for sale in the UK for years and the cost of subscribing and having it posted to the UK would make your head spin.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
I just saw the next issue for sale from an online dealer and the cover price is now $8.99 - pretty hefty increase without a corresponding increase in content.

Posts: 286 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
At least you can buy it in America, i have not seen a copy for sale in the UK for years and the cost of subscribing and having it posted to the UK would make your head spin.

There are couple of comic shops in Wolverhamption that should be able to order it for you from Diamond UK. You might have to set up a standing order for a non-standard item, though.
I don't know what the prices are these days but it might work out cheaper than subscribing.

Posts: 3251 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aeolus14ummbra:
I just saw the next issue for sale from an online dealer and the cover price is now $8.99 - pretty hefty increase without a corresponding increase in content.

There has been no increase for a number of years. I'm sure the price of paper/ink/production/distribution have all increased, had they increased costs by 50cents/$ a year we wouldn't have noticed but a straight 50% increase is a bit of a shock!!

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:

There are couple of comic shops in Wolverhamption that should be able to order it for you from Diamond UK. You might have to set up a standing order for a non-standard item, though.
I don't know what the prices are these days but it might work out cheaper than subscribing.

Thanks Raj. Wavey

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
NSU used to cost $5.99 on the stand. Not sure about Beckett's other card and gaming magazines, but Heroes said $9.99 above. I do know that those are monthly issues as compared to NSU's bi-monthly schedule. So it's half the number of issues to make any money on right there.

So yes, it's a 50% increase, but the base price was less than the market as it was, and I'm pretty glad that Beckett is still publishing NSU. That was probably the other option, so just be happy with it as it stands. Smile

Posts: 10405 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I think it should stop being a physical magazine and just be an online mag aligned with this website.

Just a thought.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it should stop being a physical magazine and just be an online mag aligned with this website.

Just a thought.

You can get a digital version, without the promo cards

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:

I believe the new price is $8.99, which is reflected in the new subscription price $53.94 before discount

An annual subscription with domestic mailing was $26.95, so basically a discount of $1.50 per issue or $4.49 each. If that holds true to the increase, I would expect an annual subscription after the price change to be around $45.00.

Considering that there is individual address shipping costs involved also, well what much can you say, unless the subscription turns out to be a lot more than $45.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hope it continues to be a physical magazine for as long as it can.

Some people still like holding on to something real. I still buy actual books. I don't like those readers. The reader needs a battery and it needs to be recharged every day. A book that exists in space doesn't need a battery.

quote:

Just a thought.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I hope it continues to be a physical magazine for as long as it can.
[/QUOTE]

It's in the nature of any kind of collector to want the physical item, even when it overruns the house. Wink

But I have seen what some people leave on their smart phones and computers. Thousands of text messages and photos clogging up the save box until capacity has been reached. Than they have to delete something, but while they have it they don't look at it or can even find it if they tried, most of the time.

Strangely enough my digital files are just the opposite. I keep practically nothing. I can't wait to delete messages and emails and photos of dinner food plates. I don't know what that means, except that I feel no attachment to it once it's looked at or read. Smile

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi All:

Yes, our cover and subscription rates are going up. We have been due for a price increase for some time -- our cover price has been at $5.99 since the Feb/Mar '09 issue.

As Hammer pointed out above, had we slowly increased these rates every 3 or 4 years, the cover rate increase would not have been as dramatic. But couple the need for an increase with all added costs since the pandemic (paper, printing, packaging, shipping, etc.), it was definitely due. Our one-year U.S. subscription rate will be $37.95 (lower with longer term subscriptions). Subscriptions to Canada, Mexico, and overseas will be $55.95

Thanks.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven

I have gone a little bit better, in that I don't have a phone but I do have a laptop that has lots of photos of cards, holidays in Switzerland and family history with the majority being looked through fairly frequently. In addition I do have a physical collection of cards, which must total many thousands as I have over three hundred albums most of which are nearly full. The laptop also has many documents and I have a couple of hard disc drives that I use for back up storage.

Plus of course every issue of NSU.

I know of a couple of card collectors that bought the house next door purely to keep their cards in.

regards

John

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
John, I think we collect very different cards, as I am focused on certified autograph cards, which is a fairly recent development in comparison to your vintage card collection. You are much more the expert than I and I'm sure your collection is close to museum worthy. I wouldn't know where to keep 300 binders, but buying a house is definitely out.

I do have to save files to keep my stuff organized though and remind me of what is there. For some stupid reason known only to me apparently, I dislike cloud back-up or multiple drives or automatic syncing. Go figure.

Anyway, high speed USB flash drives have always worked well enough as back up for me and it even makes for another collection. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
Our one-year U.S. subscription rate will be $37.95 (lower with longer term subscriptions). Subscriptions to Canada, Mexico, and overseas will be $55.95.

That seems pretty reasonable on the whole. Smile