Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NSU Price increase
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John,

Wow. Three hundred binders. Like Raven, I'm not sure where I could keep that many. I have maybe 10 binders roughly full of cards plus various plastic bins and cardboard boxes pretty much full of cards. Some of it could use a re-sort.

Sometimes, on "American Pickers," the hosts meet a collector who uses a separate building just to store/display a collection. There are nice display cases, associated items, and special lighting to make it comparable to a well-designed museum.

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Raven

I have gone a little bit better, in that I don't have a phone but I do have a laptop that has lots of photos of cards, holidays in Switzerland and family history with the majority being looked through fairly frequently. In addition I do have a physical collection of cards, which must total many thousands as I have over three hundred albums most of which are nearly full. The laptop also has many documents and I have a couple of hard disc drives that I use for back up storage.

Plus of course every issue of NSU.

I know of a couple of card collectors that bought the house next door purely to keep their cards in.

regards

John

Posts: 4392 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
I'd just like to add on to what Harris said above. This is only the 3rd price increase in our 34 year history. 34 years! If you take a look at newsstands today, many magazines in the U.S. have cover prices of $10.99 to $14.99 or higher, generally with lower quality paper stock than what we use. It's an unfortunate aspect of economics, in order to survive, prices must occasionally go up. In our case, it's much less than occasional.
~Alan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: A_Biegel,

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
It's still a great Magazine, with top class articles

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
John,

Wow. Three hundred binders. Like Raven, I'm not sure where I could keep that many. I have maybe 10 binders roughly full of cards plus various plastic bins and cardboard boxes pretty much full of cards. Some of it could use a re-sort.

Sometimes, on "American Pickers," the hosts meet a collector who uses a separate building just to store/display a collection. There are nice display cases, associated items, and special lighting to make it comparable to a well-designed museum.

In number form it sounds a lot but remember that Cigarette/Trade Cards are a lot smaller in size (2 11/16 x 1 7/16 inches than Entertainment Cards (3 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches) which means albums are about 4 inches high compare to 4 ring binders at about 11-12 inches and of course being smaller storage in book cases is different. The only problem I have had is that most book cases are not sold with enough shelves and their fixings.

Not all my card collection is in pages yet alone binders. I too still a lot in boxes.

regards

John

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
Our one-year U.S. subscription rate will be $37.95 (lower with longer term subscriptions). Subscriptions to Canada, Mexico, and overseas will be $55.95

Thanks.

Why is overseas $18.00 more expensive?

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
As i don't know how much does it cost to post a magazine within the usa and how much to post one to the uk.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They have a separate media mailing system and discounted rates for publishers of bulk printed material. Just looking at my mailed issue when it arrives, I couldn't tell you how much it cost for Beckett to ship it to me. Only they would be able to do the math of how many copies they sent out and what they paid into the Postal Service for the bunch.

Just this past Sunday US Postal rates went up again. I would think the Royal Mail adds a lot to cost for international items. My own personal service, just based on what I get, seems to have improved, but mail theft has gone way up in general over here.

Posts: 10405 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post