Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Non-Sport Update Magazine Discussion    April/May Issue a Sign that Spring is here
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

April/May Issue a Sign that Spring is here
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Today received my latest issue. Rather a dark cover with Dark Nights: Metal from Cryptozoic featured. 3 promos:
Dark Nights Metal P2 from Cryptozoic
Currency (Series 3?) Beckett Promo 9 from Cardsmiths (A beautiful card with lots of foil)
Pirates and Privateers Series 1 P1 from RR Parks Cards

Some of the articles are Scoops 1954 set, Top 10 Wrestling Sets, and Roulx Trading Cards.

Posts: 2913 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
And there’s even some wrestling cards at the end of the price guide Eek

Posts: 684 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Got mine in the mail today. Got the exact same promo cards as above, even the Currency P-9.

Happy that someone new has gone into trading cards, but I think Cardsmiths might be too high concept for me, same as House of Roulx. The cards are well done, but I can't figure out what it is I'm supposed to be looking at. Big Grin

The Top Ten list this time is on Wrestling Sets. Needless to say, I don't know a one.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Got mine in the mail today. Got the exact same promo cards as above, even the Currency P-9.

Just so there's no confusion, the three cards that are in the current issue are all the same.

Thanks,

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
While I know that there must be a lag time between the release of a card title and the NSU publication deadline, I was wondering just how long it is for a mainstream title to appear as a new pricing entry? It seems to me that it used to be in the passing of one issue and then it would show up.

The reason I ask is specifically in regard to a set like Game of Thrones Art & Images. It came out mid-December 2023, so it was certainly missing the Dec-Jan 2024 issue and I could see even missing the Feb-Mar 2024 issue. However I did expect to see it added to the guide in the current April-May issue. It's not there either.

So I guess its another two months before it finally appears and that seems too long to me, as new pricing is one of the things many card collectors still look for first or second in NSU. The supplemental guide has been seriously shortened and some people don't find it very useful anymore, preferring the up-to-date online pricing or eBay listings. I get that, but I still find the bi-monthly guide to be another resource to compare prices and track historical data if nothing else. Pricing is never written in stone anyway and I would rather see new sets priced out as soon as possible and not 6 - 7 months after the fact.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
My first magazine from my new subscription arrived today. Very interesting cardboard conversation as always

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked up this issue last week. I also enjoyed Biegel's editorial. He notes the move away from art-based to cheaper photo-based sets. Gary Gerani also talked about that and the higher-resolution images that were becoming available to Topps by the late 70's in his "The Card King Chronicles" memoir published last year.

It was great to read in the "News" on the next page that Gerani's next volume is coming so quickly after the first.

The "House of Roulx" article states that its "Moon Patrol" release has sold out. I looked at its website some time ago and noticed that it had sold out by then already. Who hung onto a sealed box of that? The company seems to be retooling/updating what Comic Images did in the 90's by putting out more limited and smaller art-based sets, even including Norman Rockwell.

And yeah, as Don Norton pointed out, that "Currency" promo looks great done in foil.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Saw a few issues at a sports card store over the weekend Eek and a couple at B&N. Think that cover could have done pretty good for comic book shops.

Posts: 684 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post