Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2023 Non-Sport Almanac #9
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
To my surprise my LHS had the new 2023 Beckett Non-Sport Almanac 9th Edition on the rack. The Almanac has generally been released around October in previous years, but there it was. I picked up the last one, but in truth I don't know how many they had or when they came in. Big Grin

I have no time to compare books right now, so I'll have to wait and see if there were any radical price changes from the last edition, or if most old values are mainly just regurgitated. Current year cards from 2022 - 2023 have been added of course.

The cover is three 2023 Doctor Who cards, with the David Tennant full bleed autograph card (that I myself went out and got because it's a great looking card) in the center sweet spot.

I'll try to comment about any significant price changes when I get the chance to sit down and compare this one to the 8th edition.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So it is eye-watering to try to compare pricing between Non-Sport Almanacs when you don't know what you are looking for and listings still have their own logic to the order of appearance. I tried to check the more expensive cards in older sets that I knew like GoT, Bond, Twilight Zone, etc. I saw the same values as last year, so I don't think there was any big, concerted effort to adjust standing card prices, as happened in 2021's #7 Almanac. More recent sets seem to be carrying the same prices you find in the NSU guide.

The number of pages has stayed at 376 for both editions. Since another year's worth of cards was added, something must have dropped off or been reduced in size. Eagle eyed readers may find sets that were omitted or smaller fonts, but I gave up. The only thing I know for sure is gone is the 10-page section that was at the end of the book entitled "Non-Sport In Sports" cards. You will have to keep the 8th edition if you want that section.

Added to the front of the 9th edition, along with the hot list, is a 2-page "In Memoriam" spread showing cards on people who passed away in the last year, which is a nice touch.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Added to the front of the 9th edition, along with the hot list, is a 2-page "In Memoriam" spread showing cards on people who passed away in the last year, which is a nice touch.

I wonder if this is the product of independent research, or if they just lifted it from the efforts done by myself and others here.

Posts: 2212 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did the In Memoriam section kind of on the fly. I just Googled a list and went from there and filled in blanks as I went up to the print date. I probably missed a couple but got as many as I could before the deadline.

Posts: 275 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post