Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Non-Sport Update Magazine Discussion    Feb/Mar 2024 NSU Hot off the Press!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feb/Mar 2024 NSU Hot off the Press!
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Got my latest issue today, and it is a good one. Cover story is 2024 Preview, nicely done. Also an article about Gary Gerani and his new book as seen at Philly. 5 promos this issue!
Dark Nights Metal P1 from Cryptozoic
Golden Girls BP-8 from Cardsmiths
Picard Season 2 & 3 P2 from Rittenhouse
Psycho Ape Part II NSU P1 from RRParks
Moon Patrol Promo 011 from House of Roulx

The Moon Patrol promotes both sets 1 and 2, although set 1 is now sold out. The Golden Girls is nice with foil details.

This is a great issue, seems like a bigger issue than usual, lots of good reading here.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds great. I'm looking forward to reading more about Gerani's book even though I'm already reading it.

Did we need Psycho Ape Part 2. Todd says "Yes!"

Posts: 4387 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like there are 11 diff House of Roulx promos in the new NSU, 1 card per copy. Frown

Posts: 4006 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The first 10 promos are for a set by artist Scott Listfield. There is someone with a promo # 3 on Ebay now, asking $ 65 for it !!!

Posts: 4717 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Heather Graham is signing for the next Twin Peaks release! Sweet!!!

Posts: 4853 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I got Promo-005 "M in the Street" from House of Roulx.

Just got a decent deal at renewal, so in for another 12 months

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think my subscription copy may be bouncing around again. Makes up for being so early the last few issues. Grabbed one from my LHS today in case it doesn't show up.

So the promos I got were the same as in Don Norton's copy, except for the House of Roulx, which was the same as in Hammer's copy.

For "Dark Nights Metal P1", I get the whole cracked glass sliver image concept, but I think CZ would have been more effective to just show a whole character. It took me too long to try to figure out what I was looking at.

Cardsmith's "Golden Girls" looked nice, and "Picard" and "Psycho Ape" were what you would expect. Not sure what to expect from House of Roulx from that promo. Their NSU ad says its a collective of "limited edition artist trading cards". The Promo-005 is by Scott Listfield.

Haven't started NSU yet, but did check out my favorite Top Ten List article. This time its "Top 10 Cryptozoic Entertainment Sets", and I'm not sure about this one at all. It says the picks were based on "content and innovation", which leaves room for any interpretation. Sixty percent of the list I wouldn't even consider, but that's just me. Three of the sets were CZ's most expensive and I'm not sure how many people even tried to make them. But then again it could be the innovation part that I don't get. Big Grin

Anyway I liked the cover because I always like seeing new autograph cards. I was pleased with the Matt Smith and Ted Danson examples. Amazed that there seems to be still another Nimoy that hasn't been released. It will be 9 years since he passed away. How many more could possibly be left?

Not too happy about that Heather Graham, which was welcomed until I saw her autograph, or I should say lack thereof. I hate it when an important and expensive signature does not compliment the card. Well, at least the Danson looks good.

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Unlike Hammer I am still awaiting my NSU copy to arrive, it may have arrived in the UK but it is likely being held up with my other outstanding post. I saw the postman across the road today delivering a parcel but no letter post. On a "normal" delivery day their routine is to deliver timed letter post, parcel post and NHS post first then once that is done deliver the letter post which usually occurs about 15-20 minutes later. In my area the postman was last seen delivering letter post last Tuesday so it appears that my local delivery office have returned to purposely delaying postal deliveries.

John

Posts: 2120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So my copy did come today, and all 5 promos inside were the same as my store bought one.

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My copy came in the mail yesterday. Appears the Dateline page with Upcoming Card Releases is omitted in this issue. I always use this to see what's recently released and about to be released. Hope this isn't a permanent deletion.

Posts: 1 | Location: Alberta | Registered: January 27, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
I think I got Promo 10.
Cheers.

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chrome-Angel:
My copy came in the mail yesterday. Appears the Dateline page with Upcoming Card Releases is omitted in this issue. I always use this to see what's recently released and about to be released. Hope this isn't a permanent deletion.

Hi Chrome-Angel:

Dateline will return next issue. We didn’t run it in the current issue as our 2024 Preview cover feature pretty much covers the same ground. But Dateline will return in the Apr/May issue.

Thanks and glad to hear you find the column useful.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Not too happy about that Heather Graham, which was welcomed until I saw her autograph, or I should say lack thereof. I hate it when an important and expensive signature does not compliment the card. Well, at least the Danson looks good.

Not really sure what you expect....it's not like she's signing other things much nicer. I get as a presentation it isn't what I would have hoped for but I wouldn't want a radical signature change just because she is signing a card. Graham has another sig that basically spells "He" which I am assuming is her street graph. I would really hate to see that on a card. I wouldn't be surprised if these don't have a bit of a range to them and I will be hunting for the nicer presentation but for the most part I am thrilled she is finally landing on a licensed product. Was always bummed out that her and Matt didn't sign for Lost in Space.

Also think her signature looks more balanced on a card than on many of the larger items I have seen her sign. She tends to sign small.

Posts: 4853 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I finally received my Feb/Mar 2024 copy of NSU today, its delivery being purposely delayed by the Royal Mail. Like Hammer I also received House of Roulx Scott Listfield Promo No. 5. I have attached a scan of the front and back below for those interested.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

In addition the letter post delivery, also included was an envelope from Rittenhouse which had the Game of Thrones Art & Images P1 promo that I had asked for and in addition included the P1 promo for Picard Seasons 2 & 3 which had become available since I paid my $5 as an international collector. Many thanks Rittenhouse.

John

Posts: 2120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Also an article about Gary Gerani and his new book as seen at Philly.

Alas it is not available internationally according to the fantastic press website.

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I found the new issue at B&N last week. I decided to buy two issues to get two different House of Roulx promos but I got two of Promo 10 "The Reef." Bad luck.

Regarding the auction sale of a Gem Mint 10 Topps 1977 Star Wars #1 (Luke Skywalker) card at $78,000, that beats a $63,000 sale of another Gem Mint 10 #1 card just a few months before in a Robert Edwards auction.

I was happy for Roxanne after reading she got over 22K for her Topps 1970 Hee Haw test set. I've seen only a few cards from that.

Great interview with Gary Gerani.

I liked the article about cards on comic strips. I knew you couldn't get them all but I was hoping "Bloom County/Outland" (Krome Productions, 1995) would be covered but it wasn't. I have that set, the holochromes, the promos, and the uncut 6-card sheet (1 per case) but not all the parallel stickers.

The Ira Friedman article was interesting to me as it is another perspective on the history of Topps after reading the Gerani interview and being nearly done reading Gerani's book.

Posts: 4387 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Not really sure what you expect....it's not like she's signing other things much nicer.

Ideally, I would like to be able to read the autograph without already knowing the name. I know my signature can be read without a caption. Big Grin

Celebrities sign however they sign and, as long as its genuine, that's it. However it does hurt when it's a high demand autograph card, because now you are probably going to have to pay in the 3-figure range if you want it, and the signature just doesn't make for a nice overall card appearance.