Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Wizard World New Orleans
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wizard World New Orleans
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted
Heading to the Big Easy this weekend to hit the local edition of Wizard World. Based on prior years, I don't expect much in the way of card dealers to be there. For those of you who may go to other WW shows across the country, is this normal or just my luck?

I imagine that the crowd will be mostly people interested in talking to or meeting Ian Somerhalder and/or Paul Wesley from Vampire Diairies, but I am still hoping for a good show!

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Hope you have fun!

Be sure to scan over the movie studio and artist tables - that's where I sometimes find cool promos, postcards, & swag at WW Texas shows.

If you do pick up some cool stuff, try to get extras for trade (hint)

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
A little late updating this, but better late than never....

As expected, WW New Orleans had no dealers who were card heavy. In fact, I only recall seeing one dealer with cards of any type, and they were strictly gaming. A number of dealers with comics, which was a nice change. Lots of "other" stuff, some of which seemed to have nothing to do with the theme (hello, Lasik surgery center?). Quite a few artist tables, but no movie studio tables that I noted. Got a chance to meet and speak with Ken Kelly, who was really nice. In addition to comic work, he also illustrated the covers of two different Kiss albums from the 1970s, Destroyer and Love Gun.

If there were any promos, giveaways, or other swag, I missed it. My wife was all about seeing Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley from Vampire Diaries, so my ability to roam and shop was somewhat limited.

All in all, not a bad show, but it just didn't feel great either. Perhaps the lack of "huge" stars had some impact on the show and the dealers, not to mention that it was right after the holiday season. I'm sure I will go back, but only to people watch and check out the artist tables.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
Yeah I talked to Ken Kelly at the last Chicago NS card show I attended (2010) - still remember he made up a promo card that was free from his table LOL

Been skipping a lot of Wizard World shows lately due to high admission price and decreasing emphasis on cards/comics/swag but glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
The was the first Wizard World New Orleans that I have skipped. Outside of the Charmed booth, I have met everyone I would ever want to met there. Cards were in always in short supply except one year that K&J was there.
Pensacon is a possibility.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post