Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Philly Non-Sports Card Show October 14 & 15 2023
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Philly Non-Sports Card Show October 14 & 15 2023
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
Didn't see a current Philly Show thread, so I guess I'll start one.

This will be SciFi Cards last trip out to Philly. The cost of travel, time away from home, and wear and tear on body and spirt makes this the right time to retire to more local shows. I'm not quitting the business or hobby, just changing my travel habits.

We're planning on bringing LOTS of wax and hope to go home with less than we left with. I'll have specials on recent Marvel sets and new sets from Cardsmiths, Rittenhouse, Cryptozoic, and Stellar.

And, we have a special promo for the show. Numbered P80b, this is the B version of this artwork:

Art by Wacky and GPK sketch card artist Floydman Sumner.

Available at the SciFi Cards table for the asking. Exclusive to the show with show logo on the back.

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That might be your best promo yet!!

Posts: 1570 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
You've done a great job and it's been nice seeing you at the show. Have a good last one

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
That might be your best promo yet!!

I don't play favorites, they're all my children...

But this was a good one too:

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Another special promo for Philly...

This from the fine people at Faerie Metal who also create the comic Eule's Vision. This is P5 for 2023.

You can get this promo 2 ways:

1 Per Person at the Friday Night Dinner
or
For the asking at the SciFi Cards tables at the far end of the room.

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Time to resume the unofficial official gathering on Saturday night! The Hilton Garden Inn has a nice bar and lounge area, so after the fabulous show dinner we can just walk down the hallway to gather and have some fun. Many non-sport collectors will be there, including the ever popular Harris Toser and the Big Chief himself, Alan Biegel. Curler from Nova Scotia, Carol Tooker (who I always owe a beer to) and yours truly will also be there so let’s have some fun! Hope to see everyone at the show!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Time to resume the unofficial official gathering on Saturday night! The Hilton Garden Inn has a nice bar and lounge area, so after the fabulous show dinner we can just walk down the hallway to gather and have some fun. Many non-sport collectors will be there, including the ever popular Harris Toser and the Big Chief himself, Alan Biegel. Curler from Nova Scotia, Carol Tooker (who I always owe a beer to) and yours truly will also be there so let’s have some fun! Hope to see everyone at the show!

Have a Good time

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Just a bit of Philly Show news:

• Gary Gerani - Gary Gerani will be our special media guest at the upcoming show. Gary has written countless card backs for television and movie cards and his career spans well over 4 decades. His work has mostly been for Topps (all the classic Topps movie and television sets) but also for other companies such as Upper Deck. Additionally, Gary created and co-authored the screenplay for Stan Winston's Pumpkinhead. Gerani also scripted Showtime's adaptation of the popular Vampirella comic book in 1996, and created/produced a TV pilot in 2017 called Convention. Looks for Gary’s brand new book, the Card King Chronicles, Vol. 1: The ‘70s (Gary will have some of these on-hand at the show available for sale).

• Artists - 4 artists will be on-hand: David Acevedo, Jason Brower, Ted Dastick, Jr., and Michael Munshaw.

• Promos - We have been placing images of the promo cards that will be given out on the Philly Show website. There are more to come!

The Philly Non-Sports Card Show takes place October 14 & 15 at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center at Oaks, PA (Hall E). Hope to see you there.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
For those staying over, there's still time to book hotel rooms at the Best Western Executive Residency Pottstown (the deadline has passed at our other hotel partner locations). But you need to reserve now! The deadline is tomorrow (Oct. 1). The Best Western is located approximately 20 minutes from the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center. The discounted rate is $79/night plus taxes. Book via the link below or by calling the hotel at 610-327-3300 (mention "Philly Non-Sports Card Show" for the discount).

https://bit.ly/PNSCS-BWP-10-23

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'll be debuting Most WanTED Trading Cards' first set "Legend of the Jersey Devil" at the show with a 5-card preview set (plus holographic parallels)! Big Grin

Posts: 1570 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I'll be debuting Most WanTED Trading Cards' first set "Legend of the Jersey Devil" at the show with a 5-card preview set (plus holographic parallels)! Big Grin

Looks great Ted! Best of luck with the new company and card series.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
Just a bit of Philly Show news:

[LIST]
  • Gary Gerani - Gary Gerani will be our special media guest at the upcoming show. Gary has written countless card backs for television and movie cards and his career spans well over 4 decades. His work has mostly been for Topps (all the classic Topps movie and television sets) but also for other companies such as Upper Deck. Additionally, Gary created and co-authored the screenplay for Stan Winston's Pumpkinhead. Gerani also scripted Showtime's adaptation of the popular Vampirella comic book in 1996, and created/produced a TV pilot in 2017 called Convention. Looks for Gary’s brand new book, the Card King Chronicles, Vol. 1: The ‘70s (Gary will have some of these on-hand at the show available for sale).

• What a really cool idea for a guest! I love this, having someone who works in the industry that isn't a manufacturer or actor is very cool. I love it!!

Posts: 1952 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of Jessica
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Batman:

I'm ending up coming to the show (probably late Saturday and maybe staying for Sunday) as our plans for NYCC have changed. I remember there used to be a morning official meeting at the show, does that happen anymore? It has been a very long time since I've gone to a show.

Posts: 1952 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    New Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    This will be my first strictly non sport card show. I have done over 800 popculture conventions in 4 countries over the last 30 years but not since Saturday's Child back in the Mark Macalusa days when he would also vend there have I been to a show with impressive non sports. Of course Macalusa was the man with boxes of everything. Gilligan, Brady Bunch, Hogan. The man had it all. Really looking forward to being at a strictly non sport card show. First packs bought 1973 Kung Fu from the ice cream truck man. I will be bringing singles in box houses of almost every Star Wars Set made. Not many high end items but a couple hundred sets of various genres and tons of singles for people to complete their sets.

Posts: 1 | Location: louisville, ky | Registered: October 12, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Titanium Card Talk Member
    Picture of wolfie
    posted Hide Post
    Did anyone actually go to this show?

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by wolfie:

I couldn't make it this show.

I hope to be set up again in May.
    With that- did anyone get the dates for the May 2024 show?

Also- who were the Philly show promo(s)?

Thanks.

Posts: 68 | Location: NC | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Administrator
    Picture of H_Toser
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by cubby5454:
    quote:

Thanks.

The May Philly Show will be held on May 18 & 19.

For the red-border Philly cards, we featured dealer Bill Miller on one of the cards and we did an "in memoriam" card for longtime Philly show dealer Maryann Wolf.

Thanks.

Silver Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    Had an awesome time at the show! It's always great seeing old friends and making new ones. It was wonderful hanging out with this group of artists - David, Jason and Michael are really cool guys.

I'm eternally thankful to everyone who came by my table and purchased my "Legend of the Jersey Devil" preview set. I can't express how much the support means. Metal

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by H_Toser:
    quote:
    Originally posted by cubby5454:
    quote:

Thanks.

The May Philly Show will be held on May 18 & 19.

For the red-border Philly cards, we featured dealer Bill Miller on one of the cards and we did an "in memoriam" card for longtime Philly show dealer Maryann Wolf.

Thanks.

Thanks Harris.

I will reserve those dates right now.

Sad to hear about Maryann.

Another long time show attendee also passed recently- Sandra Haley.

Mike.

Posts: 68 | Location: NC | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Batman
    posted Hide Post
    One interesting news item from the show was Rittenhouse Archives listing Cheers as a 2024 release. It will be a full release in boxes and Ted Danson has agreed to sign cards.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post