Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Pirates and Privateers (RRParksCards, 2024)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pirates and Privateers (RRParksCards, 2024)
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
These came out fast, Richard mailed them Monday and got mine today, Wednesday morning.
Here's what was in my Master Set box:
50 Pirates of the Spanish Main cards - reprints of an 1888 Allen and Ginter set, these beautiful full size cards feature a portrait of the pirate with a scene in the background. Most of these men I had not heard of before. Text on the back is extensive and quite small, so wear your optivisor when reading them.
18 Howard Pyle Art cards - In the 1920's, Howard Pyle was a well known illustrator and he did a series of paintings of pirates for magazines and books.
The box the cards come in is just a strip of cardboard with 4 Holographic images on it. I cut these out and added them to the collection, There are 2 versions of Pyle cards, a base set Header Card and a Pirates and Privateers Checklist.
2 Pirates and Privateers Promos, One and Two
2 Oversized 3D Images. One can be cut up into 4ths and one kept intact
1 set 3D glasses
1 Pirates and Privateers Series 2 Promo A
1 RRParks 11th Annual Halloween Event Promo 1
1 Patas The Paws of Fate Promo Card P1
1 Floofy Little Monsters Promo Card 1
1 Blank Sketch Card
1 Print Plate
1 Lenticular Card - The Flying Dutchman by Howard Pyle
1 Kanvas Sail Card - Canvas textured card by Arthur Rakham
1 Etching card - Signed and numbered by Richard Parks
1 Metal Card - Sea Serpent by Arthur Rakham, signed and numbered by Richard Parks
1 Sketch - Anne Bonney by Varon Moreno in color
1 Genuine 17th Century Spanish Coin - More than 1/4th the coin is left, they used to break off bits of the coin for change. I will have to study the coin under a magnifying glass to see any details, but it is guaranteed to be 300 years old.

There is much to study in this set, very eyecatching. Pyle's work has always fascinated me, and the base 50 card set really looks interesting. Well done Richard!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 2918 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I nearly ordered these sounds like a very cool set -- how is the sketch?

Posts: 5427 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My cards arrived on Saturday morning and I have yet to examine the box fully. I have a reprint set of the Pirates of the Spanish Main cards so I won't need any extra visual equipment.

Posts: 2125 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
The sketch is well done Jon. Of course, the artist took a little free license with Anne Bonney's image, she probably never looked that good, but I have been pleased with most of the sketches I get from RR Parks, they seem to be a cut above.

Posts: 2918 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post