Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Razor Poker Inaugural (Razor)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Razor Poker Inaugural (Razor)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Nobody else has reported, so I'll start.

Two boxes, each 24 packs of 6 cards. Expect 1.82 76-card base sets on average; I got a complete set in each box but the extras were clumpy.

2 autograph ("Showdown Signature") cards (out of 37) per box, as advertised. I pulled Sammy Farha, Jerry Buss, Amir Vahedi, and Erik Seidel. The Farha seems to be one of the top 5 in combination of rarity and demand.

None of the only other insert, four event-worn autographed apparel cards ("Poker Paraphernalia"), seeded at 1:case (1:288 packs).

Signature cards are on thick stock, probably the same thickness as the signed shirt cards to discourage searching for the latter somewhat.

The images are sharp and have variety, and the card text is pretty good. Base cards are silver-foil stamped. I call it a good first foray into poker cards.

The auto cards follow the Topps lead of signatures on stickers that are then applied to the cards. The only excuse that I see for this trend is that some manufacturers may have been burned by "lost or damaged" cards that then showed up later in the aftermarket, and you have to admit that they have a lot more control over the material. (Nobody's going to pay the same amount for a signed sticker, and the "official" signatures can go straight into packs.) But still I don't like it. Billy Drago would never have achieved card-collecting stardom that way; there's no chance for lesser variations or messages; and it makes for a cramped signature if you have a long name or you sign with a flourish.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted Hide Post
i didnt tart this as it was not non sport and thought i wpould of got told of lol but i do want some of these

Posts: 4508 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some people say "It's not a sport if you can drink beer while you're competing."

My general rule is that "sports cards" as a collecting community involve the major five professional men's sports, baseball, basketball, hockey, American football, and soccer. People who collect auto-racing or golf cards are aligned more with the non-sports-cards community than with the sports carders. I would put Rittenhouse's WNBA sets right on the conceptual borderline, but wouldn't complain about them because (again) a different group of people collect them than the typical sports-carders.

Oh, and World Wrestling Entertainment says it in their name; wrestling sets are TV-related, not sports. Wink

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted Hide Post
I AGREE THERE I WOULDNT CLASS IT AS A SPORT PART OF A FUN TEST OR GAME LOL.

whoops didnt realise i had caps on sorry

Posts: 4508 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
it shouldnt be a sport, if being blinding drunk doesnt nessacarily hurt your ability to play it, ala gavin smith.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of THX2112
posted Hide Post
Just ran across this thread today. Purchased a box shortly after these cards were released. Came up 4 commons shy of a full set, but had over 50 extras. Good thing was I pulled three autos

A13 - Antonio Esfandaiari
A18 - Chip Jett
A26 - Gavin Smith

Cool set. Glad I picked it up!!!

Posts: 139 | Location: Noblesville, IN | Registered: May 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
Few years late, but I just bought 3 boxes.
Complete base set in each (though I got 4 copies of card #1 and #11 in each box).
Box 1: Chris Moneymaker, Phil Laak
Box 2: Chris Moneymaker, TJ Cloutier
Box 3: David Williams, Josh Arieh

Overall, I really liked the cards. Good design, nice thick Auto card stock - though with 37 packed autos, I was extremely disappointed getting a duplicate.

Posts: 281 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post