Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Should the inworks.com Promos be included in every set they mention
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should the inworks.com Promos be included in every set they mention
 Login/Join

Picture of AWR
posted
Inkworks put out some yearly promo cards to celebrate the year. Some of these yearly promos list sets that were going to be released during the upcoming year

When collecting the promos for a particular set, would these cards be considered part of the set? If you think so, does that mean you need to have multiple copies for each promo set you collect? I have a lot of sets, and am wavering if I need to track down a lot of these promos and make sure I have one for each set

Inkworks 2002 (INK-2002)

The Scorpion King
Witchblade Season 1
Scooby-Doo Movie
Men In Black 2
Buffy Evolution (All-Chrome Look)
Angel Season 3
Buffy Season 6
Scooby-Doo Classic
Smallville Season 1
* Andromada Season 2, Terrminator 3, Battlestar Galactica and more to be announced soon

Inkworks 2002 (KYH-1) Give out in Hawaii

The Scorpion King
Witchblade Season 1
Scooby-Doo Movie
Men In Black 2
Angel Season 3
Buffy Season 6
Scooby-Doo Classic
Andromeda Season 2
* More to be announced soon

Inkworks 2003 (INK-2003)

Scooby-Doo Mysteries and Monsters
X-Files Season 9
Buffy Connections
Charmed: Power of Three
Justice League
Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life
Angel Season 4
Buffy Season 7
Smallville Season 2
Loony Tunes: Back in Action
Alias Season 2

Inkworks 2004 (INK-2004)

Hellboy
Buffy: Big Bads
Charmed: Connections
Catwomen
Alien vs Predator
Buffy:  Women of Sunnyville
Angel Season 5
Smallville Season 3
Alias Season 3
Robots (2005)

Inkworks 2006 (INK-2006)
Charmed Destiny
Family Guy Season 2
Veronica Mars Season 1
The 4400 Season 1
LOST Revelations
Buffy Memories
Hellboy Animated
Supernatural Season 1
LOST Season 2
Smallvile Season 5
Naruto Way of the Ninja
Naruto Ninja Ranks
Alias Season 4
Firefly

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't class them as part of a set but i can understand why some people would.

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Technically promos were not considered part of any set. However expert card collectors who wanted to compile Master Sets used to chase the promos as part of the complete Master.

This was also generally before the time of all those custom promos and exclusive promos that get handed out for specific events and to certain dealers, so it could be done, maybe. Now Master collectors have all but given up and only retro sets can still be attempted.

I'm not sure that the yearly preview promo cards counted into it at all, but a Master Set collector could always have taken it that far. There's no standard for it that I know.

I also don't think I ever came across a Master Promo card collector for titles. If that is your intention, you probably would need one for each title set of promos that you are making to be consistent. However that is extreme, and I really see no reason for it myself, unless you just want to do it of course. Smile

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AWR:

When collecting the promos for a particular set, would these cards be considered part of the set? If you think so, does that mean you need to have multiple copies for each promo set you collect?

More importantly, do YOU consider these cards to be part of the set? Do YOU think you need multiple copies?

It's your collection -- collect what makes you happy and don't get caught up in the distinctions other people make.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Technically promos were not considered part of any set.

A base set wouldn't include them. A master set would.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Mullins,

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right, some people would want one for each set they have but most would want just one of each and maybe keep them with their favorite set.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I wouldn't class them as part of a set but i can understand why some people would.

Posts: 4387 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with one for each year. I, personally, look at them as an Inkworks promo card rather than a particular set.

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
In the past there were some standard hobby rules for card collecting. They have largely been forgotten or simply ignored and the general motto now is, collect what you like and don't worry about what other people think.

That is mostly good advice, but not always.

When someone asks for your advice, like in this thread, it's OK to give your opinion and your reasons. Nobody has to agree with you, but it's OK to say it. Smile

The other thing is, sometimes there really is a right and wrong answer to a card question. Sometimes people are buying the wrong thing or just wasting their money. It doesn't pay to tell them that if they don't specifically ask you, because it may only bring on an argument. It certainly doesn't pay to point out someone's unlicensed cards, or questionable autographs, because that will definitely bring on an argument. Big Grin

People should collect whatever they want, but if it's in an established hobby, with an established marketplace, they should also be knowledgeable enough to know any prevailing rules that they are either going along with or going against. Sometimes there are facts and history and correct answers.

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
In the past there were some standard hobby rules for card collecting. They have largely been forgotten or simply ignored

Raven
I have been collecting cards for more than 50 years and its the first time that I have heard of there being rules in collecting them yet alone ignoring or forgetting about them. Do you know who produced these rules and how they were made available to the collecting public as I would be interested in seeing what they contain and in addition make them known to the Cartophilic Society. Do you know if other collecting pastimes have rules that must be obeyed? I wonder if I should even make having a card collection known to the general public in case I may have broken a rule I was unaware of, for example keeping my collection of cards in the wrong size of box, drawer or make of album.

regards

John

Posts: 2120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hey, John. I know that I don't have to tell you anything about cards, you are much more expert than I. I also think you are jesting a bit, because surely you understand my reference to rules.

Is there a handbook of card collecting rules? No. Is there a rules hobby police? No. Can you collect whatever you want? Of course you can.
Is it smart to collect whatever you want? Well now, that depends, especially if it's in an established hobby that has an expensive secondary market.

Do you mix counterfeit cards into your card collection? Do you mix unlicensed cards into your collection? Do you mix repaired or fixed cards into your collection? You could, maybe you do, but I rather doubt it because it wouldn't be a wise thing to do. It devalues a collection. Why? Well, it's kind of a rule isn't it.

I mean I could go on about all the things we learn about collecting cards and autographs after you do it for a while and what we should avoid, but that would be a very long post and very unnecessary to most Card Talk readers who already know most anything I could say. They might think some things unimportant to them and that is up to them. But there are smart choices and not so smart choices. The rules are there, though they sometimes change and are unwritten.

When I started collecting autograph cards it was in-person signatures on regular mostly sports cards. I was told that I was breaking the rule. The autograph, though genuine, was defacing the card and taking away all value. I collected them anyway. When licensed certified cards became popular and an expected hit in boxes, everyone agreed that autographed cards were the most expensive hits to pull.

You might think this was a vindication to me because I liked them before they were accepted by the standard. It was not. Know why? Certified autograph cards really did make my in-person cards worthless. Nobody wants to buy a card where they have to authentic the autograph themselves. Especially not when that signer is on a licensed and already certified card.

See a broke the rule and they were right. I recently dumped almost all my old autograph because the sports stars were no longer special to me and believe when I tell you that no one would give me any value or even demand for them. Just a true example for your reading pleasure. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I get my card rules from Hoyle, the ghost of a man who tells me he died in 1769.

Posts: 3326 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
My rule is listen carefully and then do the opposite whenever possible, and, oh yes! take pictures of pitchers! And when pitchers aren't available...

I only found two of those packets, but I may have more elsewhere:

Posts: 2503 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you read much about the "how" of writing, everyone says there are rules.

Spell correctly, use good grammar, show don't tell, don't use adverbs, etc., etc.

And beginners probably should follow the "rules". But at some point, if you keep at it, you are no longer a beginner, and you start to learn about what the rule does to and for your writing. And you may decide that you don't like what the rule is doing. So you decide to break it. You might be writing a story like "Charly" and decide to misspell words, to show that your character isn't intelligent. Or to use poor grammar, to show that a character is from a group that doesn't typically use "standard" English.

In other words, there are reasons for rules, and the reasons don't always apply.

Same here. For every "rule" that Raven or anyone else can come up with, there will be reasons and occasions to break it. Most importantly, if you get pleasure from acquiring or owning a card, then no matter what anyone else's rule says, you should get that card.

So, if what other people think about your collection is important, follow their rules. If you collect for your own amusement, do whatever makes you happy. Buy counterfeits, get cards signed, build incomplete sets.

I've done all of the above, and honestly (and I mean no offense to anyone who thinks otherwise) I couldn't give a shit what anyone else thinks of it. It's my collection, and my only rule is "do whatever makes you happy."

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

I couldn't give a shit what anyone else thinks of it. It's my collection, and my only rule is "do whatever makes you happy."

....and you are totally correct unless you try to sell your collection and then what other people think becomes rather important.

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Rather than utilise the word "rule" I prefer "Guideline" as then each collector can do what ever they like whenever they like etc.

regards

John

Posts: 2120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Rather than utilise the word "rule" I prefer "Guideline" as then each collector can do what ever they like whenever they like etc.

So not polluting your collections and wasting your money on fake autographs and unlicensed homemade cards is just a "Guideline" then, not a "rule"? OK.

Now I'm jesting. Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think you could be a bit confused regarding Inkworks internet and SDCC promo cards
Anyway here is what i know
The Inkworks internet promo cards were available by mail in only from the company send a SAE and you got the card available at the time
The earliest Pi card would be Charmed season1 2000
Last one Ghost Wisperer set supposed to be issued 2008 but cancelled due to Inkworks demise a promo set was issued for this set.
Basically Inkworks issued a Pi card for all sets from 2000.
None for Alias 1 2
Buffy 1 2 3 4
Their last promo sets
Spirit ( issued )
Dr Who (unissued 0
Spiderwick Chronicles ( unissued )
Had promo sets issued but no Pi cards
Initially Pi cards were hard to obtain
I had a set of the first 5 offered to me by an Australian seller approx 2002 for $350 AU of course I refused , as were all Inkworks promo cards expensive in the initial years
But the Inkworks demise put a end to all that when their stock came up for sale by the buyer of the Inkworks stock came on the market via the internet but even then they were not that cheap but more available.
There would approx 110 Pi cards as Inkworks issued approx 120 sets during their few years of existence.
The first Inkworks Promo card was the change of ownership card Graffiti to Inkworks # of 500 with a James Bond picture.

Posts: 761 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the first Inkworks promo the Goldeneye promo by Graffiti ?

Posts: 4006 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Theoretically you are right but the Goldeneye card has the Graffiti logo .
The set also was issued by Graffiti.
These are the only Graffiti cards that have been issued .
Here is the problem
Did Alan Kaplan own Graffiti and changed the name to Inkworks or did he purchase Graffiti and change the name to Inkworks.
Then used the same card picture to announce the Graffiti name change to Inkworks thus the # of 500 card wich says name change from Graffiti to Inkworks
I do not know but my opinion is he actually started Graffiti didnt like the name and changed it
I stand corrected as there is only this one set issued by Graffiti and really no information regarding this company
Mabey someone could do a search of the Company registrations and see what happened.

Posts: 761 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think the story was that in 1995 when he started the company and was about to produce the Goldeneye cards, he was approached by another company called Graffiti, which had nothing to do with trading cards, and they asked him to change the name, and so he did.

Posts: 4006 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ok interesting so he got sidetracked