Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Lion King Series II P2 mystery solved
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion King Series II P2 mystery solved
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
A very astute observer on another forum where I had posted images of the P2, detected these issues on the backs of the 6 different P2s that were supposed to be an exclusive Australian-release, but have been impossible to find ever since they were known to exist.

Promo card collectors have often speculated on the reasons why these cards are so scarce and now we know why!

Here's the quote:

"It seems pretty clear as to why it wouldn't have been released, namely some errors in the text on the reverse side:

1. It misspells Rafiki's name as "Rafilci".

2. It misspells the word "scene" as "sene". With Rafiki, it appears whoever was typesetting the cards might have done so from a hand-written paper and they possibly mistook a "k" as an "lc", hence "Rafilci". And while "sene" may not be an uncommon misspelling of "scene", it's unusual here since the word "scenic" appears earlier in the text and it is correctly spelled.

Given those flubs, and Disney's quality control and attention to detail, it's highly likely the vast majority of the run would've beem pulped (and probably not reprinted).[/QUOTE]

PS: Obviously, a few got out before Skybox noticed or was notified of the errors.

Perhaps someone who knows how to post an image can post one of a P2 here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of justalion
posted Hide Post
Here is the one P2 I have and it has the two typos you mention.

The image is unique to series II but is just the mirror image of one that appeared on card #4 of series I.

Something I didn't notice previously was that although appearing fine at normal glance, you can see fine striation lines on the card surface if you look at it just right in the light and feel the lines faintly. I think I have seen this type of thing before and have associated it with the manufacture process - though that is just a guess.

I wouldn't have spotted it except the lines showed up in the scan I made (top picture of the two fronts). Card #4 from series I on bottom.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: justalion,

Posts: 81 | Location: Pennsylvannia | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of justalion
posted Hide Post
I was trying to find any info I could on how these P2s were given out (no luck). But happened to stumble on something I hadn't noticed before.

This is pic of the 6 p2s (I only have 1)

This is pic of the Australia only Kodak promotion set. I have this set. The cards are the same pictures as the P2s. This set was sold or given out as a promotion when you had your film developed at a participating retailer. The cards are slightly thinner and smaller (just millimeters) then the P2. There is no indication of who printed the set, and they are just marked Kodak and Disney. Rafiki is spelled correctly.

This has me wondering how it all was done. Which came first, why the errors, etc. There was only a few months between the issue of series I and II so haste may have been a factor.

Posts: 81 | Location: Pennsylvannia | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the conundrum of collecting promo cards.

As best as I recall the collective didn't find out about the P2s until well after the other cards for Series 2 were released.

It would make sense that the P2s were printed first but never shipped to Australia for the now-confirmed reasons. Since a few escaped the slaughter, presumably after the spelling mistakes were caught, they went out the back door early on. However, they didn't make it onto the secondary market until several months, at least, following the release of the set.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of justalion
posted Hide Post
Conundrum indeed.

Series I had several Skybox promo cards made which all shared a pattern. Standard type image on front and light green colored back. These were SB1, S1, T1 and A1.

The only Series II promos of this type were the P2s, but they have several problems/oddities.

- Spelling errors you mentioned
- Given a designator P2 already used in series I (pop-up card)
- Issued 6 different cards all with the same designator.

It's hard to understand all this together unless I insert a very inexperienced person putting this together.

And to confuse matters more Kodak issued the same 6 card images in their own promotion set around the same time. They have to be related in some fashion.

The typos alone would be cause to axe the cards as you say, but some did make it out and I think mostly to Australia. I say that because early on you could still find them for sale on Ebay (particularly the Australia Ebay site) on occasion for some time (a few years I think) and most of the sellers I saw were in Australia. At the time they were selling for about $50 a card until they more or less dried up.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
There were also some changes made to the final set-as-released from the information that was listed on the advance Series II P2 Skybox, which may have played a role in the card's limited distribution beyond the spelling errors:

1. There ended up being 18 scenic puzzle cards in the set, not 9 as listed on the promo.

2. The 8 Behind-The-Scenes Making of the Movie cards didn't make the final set.

3. The promo lists 3 Foil Embossed cards, but the set that was issued did not contain those. Instead, there were Foil Border cards, and only 2 of them.

Posts: 3325 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Let's not also forget that this was the same brilliant marketing/promotions team, or individual at Skybox that exclusively released the LK SB1 at the premier sports event of the year-The Superbowl! Absolute genius...

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
yes Albert, that SUPER elusive SB1 lol... I always imagine a garbage can midway thru the second half of the game, underneath the stadium seating with roaring crowds, and a gentle breeze pushing dozens of unwanted scattered SB1 cards around on the ground. Perfect opportunity for the Delorian with the built in Flux-Capacitor.!

I have a few of the Aussie LK series 2 P2's. I'll have to check mine for any variants etc

Posts: 711 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of justalion
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention The 6 card Kodak set issued with the same main images as the P2s was also only issued in Australia.

I have no real idea how these are connected except to think they must be. The confusing part is Kodak may not and probably did not have the cards made by Skybox. As mentioned the cards are slightly thinner, smaller and not marked Skybox, just Kodak and Disney. It would seem Kodak worked directly with Disney on the promotion, as they have on other card promotions at the theme parks themselves. In the age before digital cameras and the new phones, old style film and single use cameras were likely sold at the parks by the millions.

I think copyright owners like Disney sell access to part or entire libraries of approved images. I believe at one point I came accross a example of that made by Disney for the Lion King. It's one of the reasons you tend to see the same images over and over even 30 years after the film was made.

How the P2s and Kodak set (only issued in Australia) happened to end up with same 6 images is perplexing.

But I guess part of the investigatory fun. Wink

Picture of justalion
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardscout182:
yes Albert, that SUPER elusive SB1 lol... I always imagine a garbage can midway thru the second half of the game, underneath the stadium seating with roaring crowds, and a gentle breeze pushing dozens of unwanted scattered SB1 cards around on the ground. Perfect opportunity for the Delorian with the built in Flux-Capacitor.!

I have a few of the Aussie LK series 2 P2's. I'll have to check mine for any variants etc

I have had that same daydream more then once. So tempting how you might score so many scarce cards at once. But in mine I stand outside after the game and offer people leaving 10 bucks for their cards (I'll need some bodyguards because I will be carrying quite a stack of 10 dollar bills). Big Grin

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Remember though if you could back in time and get all those cards at the superbowl they would not be rare anymore, you would have loads of them and just be another $2 card.

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Touche! Monsieur Wolfman.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My time machine day dream is to the late spring of 1938, and go to the nearest newsstand and get all the copies of Action Comics #1 that they have. And then to the local candy stand, and buy all the boxes of Horrors of War and Goudey baseball gum cards available.

The Errol Flynn version of "The Adventures of Robin Hood" had just been released, so I'd go to a local theater and see if I could bribe the manager for posters and lobby cards of it.

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of justalion
posted Hide Post
I guess that makes good sense. Why just go to 1994 if you can go back further.

What came to mind next for me was to go back to 1962 and get a few dozen boxes of Mars Attacks. I remember a kid showing them around on the playground when I was about 5 and being amazed. I always liked the giant bug monsters theme. (ie.'Them').

There was another set out about the same time. It was pictures from the old classic horror films, like Frankenstein, Dracula, etc, but had humorous captions. I never knew what set that was.