Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Al Lewis
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
On ebay right now, there's an Al Lewis for Governor card published by Dart Flipcards. (Al Lewis played Grandpa Munster). Does anyone know any background on this? Was it a one-off by Dart? Did they do any other similar cards? Is it part of a set (it doesn't appear to have anything to do with Dart's 1997 Munsters set)?

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Jeff Allender's site lists an election promo card for The Munsters 2 set.I don't know if it's the same one.but worth checking out.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was a one-off by Dart. PCE2008 describes it as, "handed out as a promotion for Grandpa Munster's bid for governor of New York." At the time, I think some collectors considered it as part of the Munsters set, or at least, they stored the card with their Munsters set.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
On ebay right now, there's an Al Lewis for Governor card published by Dart Flipcards. (Al Lewis played Grandpa Munster). Does anyone know any background on this? Was it a one-off by Dart? Did they do any other similar cards? Is it part of a set (it doesn't appear to have anything to do with Dart's 1997 Munsters set)?

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. It's unusual to see a card from a mainstream company devoted to an individual like this.

30 or so years ago, Traks (who made Nascar racing cards) made what were essentially "business cards" for some of their staff, and I have some of them. And Upper Deck made a card of Richard McWilliams (I think that was his name). Don't know of many others.

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there are other oddball cards like that. Liberty Bell Productions printed at least two cards for salespeople with fronts from the Coin Cards set and Imagine did a card with Rhonda Shear (model from one of their sets) on the front for a company rep. Tempo did a few cards like that too.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Thanks for the info. It's unusual to see a card from a mainstream company devoted to an individual like this.

30 or so years ago, Traks (who made Nascar racing cards) made what were essentially "business cards" for some of their staff, and I have some of them. And Upper Deck made a card of Richard McWilliams (I think that was his name). Don't know of many others.

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Upper Deck did a card of Magician David Blaine that was for some event and not part of a card set

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Upper Deck did a card of Magician David Blaine that was for some event and not part of a card set

Yes, and as a hobbyist magician, I'd love to run across one of those cards. Or even a scan of it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have the David Blaine card. I can dig it out and post a scan.

It was issued in 2000 by Upper Deck for his Frozen Alive event. From what I recall, it is white and blue. Someone gave me one years ago, but about 2 years ago I saw one show up on ebay.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Didn't the seller want an unusually large chunk of money for it? I think it was hundreds of dollars like maybe $500-700.

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I have the David Blaine card. I can dig it out and post a scan.

It was issued in 2000 by Upper Deck for his Frozen Alive event. From what I recall, it is white and blue. Someone gave me one years ago, but about 2 years ago I saw one show up on ebay.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bill, I have a scan of the David Blaine card and Jess will help me post it.

I noticed that the back has 2 copyrights, 2000 and 2001. Maybe one is for his photo ?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
I bought the Al Lewis card way back on Ebay when it cost me about $2 Aus. and shipping wasn't too exy. Might have a spare if I look hard enuff.
Did anyone ever get their card signed by Al..?

Posts: 711 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post