Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    What's your promo card holy grail?
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your promo card holy grail?
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Holy Grail is the same as "Master Set" and it is personal - some Holy Grails are - "never seen one" some are "can't/won't pay that for a promo card".

My "Holy Grail" at the moment is Outlander Season 2 P10 as I won't pay $170 for a promo card but I need it for the set.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
My "Holy Grail" at the moment is Outlander Season 2 P10 as I won't pay $170 for a promo card but I need it for the set.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Holy Grails. I picked up one of mine this year. Not a promo, but an autograph card that completes a pair. I could have picked it up at anytime because, although rare, there were always a couple of copies for sale. I just didn't like the price and it never came down. This year I pulled the trigger and bought it because my spending was way down and I had the extra. I'm really happy I finally got the card after 17 years, but the timing does have to be right, even for Holy Grails. One day that P10 might seem worth it to you, even if its never a bargain. Smile

Posts: 10368 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Is there a card from Monty Python with the Grail pictured on it?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:

it's only a model.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

it's only a model.

!!!WHAAAAAT!!!
Another fantasy dashed all to pieces. And not Marvel Masterpieces either Frown

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I would swear someone posted a scan of the front and back of a card that does show the Holy Grail.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

it's only a model.

!!!WHAAAAAT!!!
Another fantasy dashed all to pieces. And not Marvel Masterpieces either Frown

Posts: 4369 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year, I did find a card that felt like a "Holy Grail" when it arrived. It's a Don Marquez's Fantastic Stories promo. It was given out at Wondercon 2002 in Oakland, CA. It shows artwork on both sides (cover art to the two variants of the first issue of the comic series). I had at least one of both cards given out at the show (the other has the cover art of Don Marquez' Retro Blast) but couldn't find the Fantastic Stories card after a wave of organization of my collection a few years ago.

I started looking for it again online and at shows even though it could still be in a wrong box somewhere. It seemed to be a long shot because it's basically a local card and the kind of local show to look for something like that doesn't really exist anymore. However, people from all over have made a point of going to Wondercon over the years so there was a chance I would run into somebody with one for sale. I ended up finding it but only because I took the time to go through pages of various cards for sale on a website. The guy mailed it rather haphazardly in a box but it arrived in good shape. There was a sense of satisfaction that seemed higher than for any of my other recent purchases so I have to say it was a holy grail kind of card for me.

It's an example of what's been said about holy grails: they're personal. It was a card given out in my general area and one I had but couldn't find again at any price. When it was found, it was only $4 (might've gone $10 at a weak moment if I had seen it on Ebay or a show) because it's rather obscure (and not marked as "limited edition" nor similarly stamped) - perhaps not known to even some Marquez comic collectors.

Posts: 4369 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are both sides of that Don Marquez' Fantastic Stories promo card. I've seen it for sale online more recently.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
As it stands at the moment, the promos I'm looking for are very recent, but seem to have gone amongst the missing - Rittenhouse's Lost in Space Season 1. Newest grail ever?

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the 2019 Lost in Space by Rittenhouse, both the common P1 and the scarce PT1 seem to be hard to find now, especially the latter.

Not sure why all of the P1s have disappeared.

I was told by a source that less and less dealers are receiving the general release P1 promos from RA, for all of the recent sets

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I collect Doctor Who cards, so mine would be:
Doctor Who Big Screen Promo RE-3 "TRANSFER"

Posts: 64 | Location: Norton Ohio 44203 | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
YAY!
I have a rare promo card!
LIS PT1!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
YAY!
LIS PT1!

From where?

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
It's not like Rittenhouse to produce a promo card and then make it so that you cannot get one. Confused

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I sent for it from their site.
Maybe that's not the rare one?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The lost in space p1 shows the boy in the space suit. The harder to find PT1 shows the boy looking at the robot, the same image as the DVD cover
Which one do you have ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I have the boy looking at the robot.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You have the harder to find one, then. Very lucky ! A few showed up on Ebay last year but not many

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
YAY!
LIS PT1!

Cardaddict,
Your generosity has been rewarded. What you did last month for the collective was a true act of selflessness and you deserve good tidings. Congratulations on having acquired this card. Now, how do we get you to become an avid promo card collector? Wave Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post