Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Show Returns
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
We've had X-Files, Twin Peaks, Prison Break, 24, and Will and Grace return.

And now, coming back in 2018, "Roseanne", 8 new episodes with all of the original cast

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy
And now, coming back in 2018, "Roseanne", 8 new episodes with all of the original cast

That would be a neat trick since Roseanne's husband, the John Goodman character, died during the original run. Maybe it will have zombies. Big Grin

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And both actresses who played the daughter Becky are in it, as well

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
And both actresses who played the daughter Becky are in it, as well

That is awesome! It would be hilarious if they kept switching them out during the 8 episode run.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, groundbreaking in some aspects at the time, but was anyone really beating down the doors for more Roseanne?

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Both Roseanne Barr and John Goodman are in their mid-60s now, so much time has passed since the 1990s.

I was surprised to hear of this revival, also.

Well, in recent years they also brought back "Dallas" on cable, and the new version lasted 3 years, I believe.

Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
The Roseanne revival was the result of a sketch that John Goodman and Sara Gilbert did on "The Talk" a few months back that sparked interest in possibly reviving the show. Everyone quickly got on board and it was quickly picked up. Roseanne went on record when the pickup was announced as saying that she felt the show had something to say about blue collar life in modern times and that was the main incentive for them to want to do it. As someone who enjoyed the original series (minus the lackluster final season), I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Connors.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Or any of the listed shows. Last night, I scanned through hundreds of channels and settled on "The Rockford Files," maybe the best detective show ever (great dialogue, stories, and actors) originally ran from about '74 to '79. They brought that back as a few TV movies in the 90's but they weren't as good even with some of the same writers and a few of the recurring characters. Even a writer for an original can lose the flavor of the show when trying to get back to it.

I expected the new "Odd Couple" to be bad but it was actually pretty good. I catch the original when I see it in the hinterlands of the cable guide.

quote:
Originally posted by weasel-king:
Hmm, groundbreaking in some aspects at the time, but was anyone really beating down the doors for more Roseanne?

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Now they are saying that the FOX cartoon show "King of the Hill" may be returning

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And now Jerry Seinfeld has hinted that "Seinfeld" may come back, after 20 years.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
And now Jerry Seinfeld has hinted that "Seinfeld" may come back, after 20 years.

I don't know about all over, but unlike other old shows, Seinfeld reruns have never left the mainstream air in NY. And the show about nothing, remains very fresh and relatable, even though there is no modern technology or social media in it. Indeed its funny to get a glimpse of Jerry's flickering computer or humongous cordless phone.

Other than that, Seinfeld does not feel old. I would like to see what those characters might have evolved into today. The only trouble is that its a high bar to live up to, so it has to be good or don't bother. I think maybe that's why Seinfeld and David have not come back to it sooner.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Seinfeld looks much older than he did in the 1990s--- he's almost 64.

And hasn't Julia Louis-Dreyfus had alot of health problems recently ? I think she's missed a few award shows due to breast cancer.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seinfeld looks much older than he did in the 1990s---

Ahhh, don't we all. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's still on local channels in the San Francisco Bay Area as well. Reruns of younger shows pale in comparision. The joke is that "Seinfeld" was the show about nothing but it was often about the lighter end of the dark side of human nature and what we experienced in the 90's as a culture therefore it's still relatable to various degrees to a lot of people. We're still laughing at them and ourselves.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

I don't know about all over, but unlike other old shows, Seinfeld reruns have never left the mainstream air in NY. And the show about nothing, remains very fresh and relatable, even though there is no modern technology or social media in it. Indeed its funny to get a glimpse of Jerry's flickering computer or humongous cordless phone.

Other than that, Seinfeld does not feel old. I would like to see what those characters might have evolved into today. The only trouble is that its a high bar to live up to, so it has to be good or don't bother. I think maybe that's why Seinfeld and David have not come back to it sooner.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shows are such a product of the time they are on. Will and Grace was funny and edgy back then; now? It's terrible and has too much forced political mess in it.

I don't think Roseanne will fare much better, but we'll see. John Goodman makes about any role better. Even if he's dead. Or alive. Or however they pull that off.

Seinfeld seems timeless. You can laugh at the turtlenecks and white sneakers, but it's still one of the best sit-coms on tv today. If they tried to update it, I think that would ruin it. Or they would try and hit nostalgia too hard, bringing back any of the scores of people who passed through the show.

Sometimes shows go off the air for a reason.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
CBS is bringing back late 80s/90s sitcom "Murphy Brown" with most of the original cast.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Do you know how much Seinfeld made off of his TV show, DVD sales, etc ? Apparently about 900 million. No exaggeration. There is a reason why he hasn't had to work over the past 20 years

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Yes, it's still on local channels in the San Francisco Bay Area as well. Reruns of younger shows pale in comparision. The joke is that "Seinfeld" was the show about nothing but it was often about the lighter end of the dark side of human nature and what we experienced in the 90's as a culture therefore it's still relatable to various degrees to a lot of people. We're still laughing at them and ourselves.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Heard on the radio some TV executive from FOX saying that they may try to bring "Buffy" back

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
What a co-ink-a-dink. I was just thinking about popping my DVDs in and watching the entire run again.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post