Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    James Bond Archives- Final Edition.
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Bond Archives- Final Edition.
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
James Bond Archives 2017 SEAN CONNERY Archive Box Exclusive Cut Autograph Card
Winning bid:
$1,387.98

Only 6 bids.......

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That is very low for something that should have been the highlight card of the series, but I can see why the actual cut did not live up to the promise of other lesser RA cuts in other products.

First of all, these Connery cuts should have been numbered. You always get a premium for #1, lower numbers are deemed more valuable than higher numbers and the last numbered card usually gets a bit more too. For Bond, #7 would have also been huge. If they had numbered 001 - 037 or whatever, imagine how desired #007 would have been.

Next is the design. Some people don't like the very small Connery/Bond picture. The writing on the front is also small, but the signature space is large. The cuts I have seen have all been on a blank background, very clean. I did not expect that, I thought we would have pieces of photos and checks and maybe even other signed cards. So the clean background is good, but the source is undeterminable.

Which brings me to my biggest objection about the card. The back text. It does not read right for a cut signature that had to be authenticated by a third party, unless Connery did sign paper specifically for RA. As far as I heard, he refused RA requests to sign. So why does the back read, "personally signed by Sean Connery" and not authentic signature of Sean Connery. A small point maybe to some, but it would have meant a stronger guarantee of authentication to me and perhaps others.

Maybe it is because, as some have said, there are fewer Bond card buyers. Or maybe its because they have better sense than Star Trek card buyers. Big Grin I still would not have thought that the Connery cut would not break the record prices of the Star Trek cuts by lesser names.

However at least this one sold for under $1,400 and there you have it. Anything in this hobby is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay at the time.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
I'd Love to have seen them numbered...

Glad I didn't pull this one....

congrats on pulling one
the black auto looks good with the rest of the card

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
That is very low for something that should have been the highlight card of the series, but I can see why the actual cut did not live up to the promise of other lesser RA cuts in other products.

First of all, these Connery cuts should have been numbered. You always get a premium for #1, lower numbers are deemed more valuable than higher numbers and the last numbered card usually gets a bit more too. For Bond, #7 would have also been huge. If they had numbered 001 - 037 or whatever, imagine how desired #007 would have been.

Next is the design. Some people don't like the very small Connery/Bond picture. The writing on the front is also small, but the signature space is large. The cuts I have seen have all been on a blank background, very clean. I did not expect that, I thought we would have pieces of photos and checks and maybe even other signed cards. So the clean background is good, but the source is undeterminable.

Which brings me to my biggest objection about the card. The back text. It does not read right for a cut signature that had to be authenticated by a third party, unless Connery did sign paper specifically for RA. As far as I heard, he refused RA requests to sign. So why does the back read, "personally signed by Sean Connery" and not authentic signature of Sean Connery. A small point maybe to some, but it would have meant a stronger guarantee of authentication to me and perhaps others.

Maybe it is because, as some have said, there are fewer Bond card buyers. Or maybe its because they have better sense than Star Trek card buyers. Big Grin I still would not have thought that the Connery cut would not break the record prices of the Star Trek cuts by lesser names.

However at least this one sold for under $1,400 and there you have it. Anything in this hobby is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay at the time.

I agree on the Numbering of the Card.

I do like the Design of the Card.

The Text on the back is a problem for a lot of people.....

Trek Collectors are more Passionate IMHO...

The Sean Connery Cut Signature card is Crazy Undervalued IMHO.... Once the Mini-Flood is Gone, I expect a Huge Spike in Price......

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Still far too rich for my blood but it is good to see the price of the first cut didn't go for INSANE money (compared to other cut cards).
It probably helps that there are good few out there rather than single digits.

I think Trek and Star Wars have far more fanatical fanbases willing to pay daft amounts for something if it strikes their fancy.

Kryten is probably right and that once the first few have been absorbed by mega collectors the odd few that pop up over the years will sell for a solid amount.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
P.s. , When Mr. Connery Passes Away ..... the Death GHOULS will have theirs at 10K or more...

We've all seen it.....Every Celebrity that Passes Away.....Huge Spike in Prices. Nimoy, Bowie & all the Rest.......

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
the Shima WA56

has 2 open Auction Sales & is getting just over $200 on Average...

We will see how Sean Connery Does tonight....

Open Auction ends in a bit..still only one bid @ $999

Over $200 for the Yvonne Shima WOB autograph is just madness in my eyes! I mean, she wasn't even a proper Bond girl, just a woman who features in a Bond film! When you can get the 40th Ann. and full-bleed versions for between half and quarter of that price, I just can't imagine who would happily pay that kind of a price!

Posts: 240 | Location: London, England | Registered: December 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
But if the Shima is an Archive Box exclusive, doesn't that mean only about 38 are out there ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
But if the Shima is an Archive Box exclusive, doesn't that mean only about 38 are out there ?

Do you think she would have only signed 38?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unless they are hand-numbered I always assume there are more autographs than what the archive boxes can amount to. I've seen sets where the 9-case incentive or archive box exclusive autographs seem just as available as the pack-inserted "Very Limited" or "Extremely Limited" ones.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

And to expand on that question, if she as a common signer did a normal number of autographs in that card style, will RA destroy all copies above the archive box production number? Anybody want to make a guess? Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

I agree with wolfie, Rittenhouse usually have loads of each card done.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WOMBLE,

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Whenever Shima signed all her 3 styles of cards (around 2013) I doubt RA had decided how her Women of Bond variant would be distributed.

There have to be a bunch more of the incentive cards stashed away, not every dealer orders exactly 6 or 9 cases, meaning some incentive cards will never have gone out in the first place. Then you have stuff held back for damage replacements etc.

Archives 2016 was 4,000 boxes. Doing the maths, there could only be about 37 of the 9-case card distributed, however this card (J.Pryce auto relic) is serial numbered to 250!

Maybe there isn't such a large discrepancy for every incentive card but I think there are a lot more of some of them. What about the 6-case Roger Moore/Richard Kiel double auto released in 2012 and has now popped up for direct sale on RA's website... with a minimum order amount of 10!?

The question is, what are the plans for all the extras?

It would be a shame if collectors were having to pay over the odds, or forever have holes in their collection, when there may be a stash of these 'rare' cards in an office cabinet back at RA.

quote:
Originally posted by RP01:
quote:
quote:
the Shima WA56

has 2 open Auction Sales & is getting just over $200 on Average...

We will see how Sean Connery Does tonight....

Open Auction ends in a bit..still only one bid @ $999

Over $200 for the Yvonne Shima WOB autograph is just madness in my eyes! I mean, she wasn't even a proper Bond girl, just a woman who features in a Bond film! When you can get the 40th Ann. and full-bleed versions for between half and quarter
of that price, I just can't imagine who would happily pay that kind of a price!

Madness to say the least. Artificial rarity at it's finest. Given that Shima is just a bit-parter, I don't think anyone would happily pay that money for her - only the completests.

The WOB series is my favourite run. I still need Chaplin and Regin if I can get them cheap, but don't recognise Sheena Easton or Pool Girl (Warville) as characters so don't want them. I've got the new Harris coming but Shima looks to be a gap for a looong time. But if I was spending that kind of money on a card, I'd rather pay a bit more and get the Christopher Lee auto.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Last Yvonne Shima Archive Exclusive Auto has Sold for $271

5 have sold so far......
$200 - $271

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kryten67,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Sheena Easton sang the theme song for "For Your Eyes Only". She didn't play a character in a film.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Precisely why I don't want her on a Women of Bond card.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Do the Archive Boxes contain 4 "Die Another Day printing plate cards" as some dealers advertised prior to the release ? Anyone know ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Do the Archive Boxes contain 4 "Die Another Day printing plate cards" as some dealers advertised prior to the release ? Anyone know ?

No it does not.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually Sheena Easton did not play a character in For Your Eyes Only but she is the only singer in Bond film history who sang the title song onscreen during the opening credit sequence. So she was onscreen for several minutes and that should count.

Posts: 193 | Location: Ca | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Maybe there isn't such a large discrepancy for every incentive card but I think there are a lot more of some of them. What about the 6-case Roger Moore/Richard Kiel double auto released in 2012 and has now popped up for direct sale on RA's website... with a minimum order amount of 10!?/QUOTE]

I don't see the minimum order now, but the direct price seems to be $250. In the latest NSU this card was booking in the $100 - $200 range as the 6 case incentive. Of course this was before Roger Moore passed away.

So I was wondering how collectors feel when a card previously released suddenly appears as a direct sale with a set price from the manufacturer. Are we to automatically say that the value of the card becomes whatever the manufacturer says it is and that becomes its minimum price? In this case, should all copies already up for sale just be reset for $250?

I realize this one is a little tricky because the death of Moore would have created a jump in his autograph card values anyway, but here we see the jump validated by the actual manufacturer. I don't know if the pricing was set before or after he died, but it does present an interesting precedent for other short printed cards that might not be as short as the initial math lead collectors to believe.

So do Bond card collectors think $250 is a fair price for a dual signature card of two deceased greats? And would card collectors like to see rare cards from other products turn up in direct sales after a reasonable time?

I'm not sure. I can see both the for and against arguments and I'm not really sure. I think it is probably not a bad thing for collectors who don't own them, but maybe not such a good thing for people who already have them. Of course if it's a case of all boats rising, then I imagine that a direct sale would be welcome as long as it results in the price going higher. Only a reduced price would cause fits. Wink

Any thoughts on the subject?