Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Upper Deck Overhauls Its Distribution Program
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upper Deck Overhauls Its Distribution Program
 Login/Join

Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you missed the recent EXCELLENT Galaxy 6?

No, I didn't miss it. I'm just not a Star Wars fan. I don't like what Topps did with their WWE releases or the Indiana Jones license. Just my opinion.

Posts: 281 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:

Entertainment card stores? Where?

I wonder if they count stores that are ment for other things and just happen to have "entertainment cards" for sale as well. Like Toys R Us...Best Buy...or other various retail stores.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
They could also mean stores that sell Magic cards etc. UD have the very strong game orientation and probably mentally think of 'Marvel Vs' as the same thing as Marvel nonsports.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
After posting a slightly snarky remark on their Facebook wall about not being able to buy their products, someone at UD had this to say:

quote:
Upper Deck Entertainment: Ed, all you need is a retail store and you can carry our products. We encourage you to explore opening one up.

Invest thousands in opening a store just for the honor of carrying their products? Amazing attitude.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
As I've just put on their Facebook page, their arrogance is gobsmacking Shake Head How long before they tell the B&M brigade that they will only be supplied if they are exclusive to that shop? I can see it coming...

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
Does not bother me how they distribute their cards. They don't carry anything I want and even if they did if I can not find it affordably I wont buy it anyway!

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
After posting a slightly snarky remark on their Facebook wall about not being able to buy their products, someone at UD had this to say:

quote:
Upper Deck Entertainment: Ed, all you need is a retail store and you can carry our products. We encourage you to explore opening one up.

Invest thousands in opening a store just for the honor of carrying their products? Amazing attitude.

Ed

I think you should have replied to their comment by asking if they were going to give you the money to open a store. Smile

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I was going to leave a comment, but apparently I've been blocked from their page, lol! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
How are sports card dealers and collectors reacting to this? I can't believe UD's attitude. Even if someone would consider opening a store, they'd need a loan to get started. Banks aren't approving many new business loans.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kbmum:
How are sports card dealers and collectors reacting to this? I can't believe UD's attitude. Even if someone would consider opening a store, they'd need a loan to get started. Banks aren't approving many new business loans.

I don't think the sports card dealers care as most of them I know already own shops. Upper Deck doesn't have licenses to produce MLB, NFL or NBA cards so I'm sure there are plenty of sports cards dealers who don't wany to carry their product anyway. The dealers I talked to were more upset about Paninin's policy as Panini is requiring all sorts of proof (photos, etc) that people have a store - and Panini has the licenses for the NFL and NBA.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
Thanks -- I was going to ask how they would know someone has an actual shop.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just had a very interesting e-mail from a retailer I buy from off the internet.

They have been *selected as one of a very few authirized internet dealers for the USA".In their words this dramatically changes who they can sell to.

They cannot sell to anyone from Canada until the product has been out for a full year Eek .

They cannot sell to any store or re-seller until the product has been out for 90 days.

If you buy a box from them and re-sell it within 90 days thhis will be found out by the Upper Deck Enforcement Team(I find it really hard to type this with a straight face Shake Head ) and you will be placed on the Do Not Sell list issued to all authorized retailers.

One other thing the message notes is that if you but from a non authorized re-seller Upper Deck will not likely be able to assist you with product issues such as collation and missing or damaged cards Mad .

Have to say after reading all that I never want to buy another Upper Deck product ever again.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
I just got that email too Triple-Frog. I fired off a rather nasty email to UD asking for clarification - essentially, who do they think they are to threaten me with any action if I choose to sell something I own outright.
If they want their cards to sell higher and/or retain value... release better cards! In my opinion, the worst thing a business could do is threaten their customers.

Posts: 281 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I should really stop checking back in with this thread - reading it just makes me angry!

The gall of Upper Deck is really quite astonishing.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I should really stop checking back in with this thread - reading it just makes me angry!

Don't worry, it won't last long. The key to making people jump through hoops is having something they must have. If the authorized distributors can easily move their UD inventory with all the restrictions they will play along, but once they can't, they will scream bloody murder.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing like threatening your customers to stimulate sales!

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

Don't worry, it won't last long. The key to making people jump through hoops is having something they must have. If the authorized distributors can easily move their UD inventory with all the restrictions they will play along, but once they can't, they will scream bloody murder.

Unfortunately for the Entertainment product line it will last just long enough for most of us not to be able to get Marvel Beginnings (first of a 3-part set) and Captain America. Both of which would sell well at shows and conventions.

If I miss out on Marvel Beginnings, I'll be ordering very little of the next two sets if any.

And good luck on the no sales to Canada for a year with UD's NHL products. That's laughable.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
Way to shoot yourself in the foot UD!

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually Ed, as long as you aren't selling sealed boxes online I don't think you'd have trouble finding someone to sell you boxes/cases.

Might take a little hustling, but I doubt you'd have much trouble finding a sports card dealer willing to sell you product. . .

After all -- there appears to be no rule about selling opened product online. . .

And, as has already been said -- who are they to tell me what I can do with product I bought?

We should all buy a box and put it on eBay immediately and sell it back to UD.

Ohh -- and how are they going to check this 'blacklist?' Are they going to card the people buying boxes of Captain America?

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
From what I read, it sounded like UD "Enforcement Team" (teeheehee) will send the blacklist to Authorized Internet Retailers. Probably along with some threats of legal action if they chose to still sell to those who are listed.
As much pleasure as I get out of doing things that would make my mother scream "You're cutting your nose off to spite your face!", I can't justify spending money on a UD product - even to protest. The closest thing I could do is offer to buy boxes and ship to Canadian Card Talkers.

Blacklist me and give me 'legal' protection from buying your releases Upper Deck! Big Grin