Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
 Login/Join
 
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Logan:
I wonder if the box/case price point alone will drive up the price of the Jodie autographs./QUOTE]

They will try to make her signed cards the highest priced Doctor ever. They are very nice on-card signatures and the way some card buyers are acting these days, I really wouldn't say any price is impossible. It depends on who bites, for how much.

However for base cards, inserts and lesser common signers, I think we have seen that higher box prices have not guaranteed a level spread of higher prices, even with limited quantities. They aren't $5 base sets anymore, but nobody wants to pay $200 either. That's why you still need to pull a big hit out of a high end box to get back value.
 
Posts: 9630 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
I want to know how many strands of gold are woven into each card to warrant this huge price rise. They say it's a premium product. My sets from them in 1999 are still holding up so what is so special?


The increase in price does not seem to have affected sales as boxes/cases are listed as 'SOLD OUT' on their web site.
 
Posts: 1089 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Checklists now up on Rittenhouse's web site, the bas cards look nice.
 
Posts: 1089 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Autograph list is still TBA 3 days till release. Probably doesn't matter much here because the title is self-contained in Series 11 & 12, and I don't know if anyone else of importance could be an unmentioned surprise. Still, this is the pattern to expect now, as bad as UD. Roll Eyes
 
Posts: 9630 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
The only auto not listed which would be a nice surprise is Bradley Walsh
 
Posts: 12086 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
The only auto not listed which would be a nice surprise is Bradley Walsh


The chase really would be on for that chase card. Big Grin
 
Posts: 1089 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
The only auto not listed which would be a nice surprise is Bradley Walsh


The chase really would be on for that chase card. Big Grin


Twak
 
Posts: 12086 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Autograph list is still TBA 3 days till release. Probably doesn't matter much here because the title is self-contained in Series 11 & 12, and I don't know if anyone else of importance could be an unmentioned surprise. Still, this is the pattern to expect now, as bad as UD. Roll Eyes


The autograph list is now up, no surprises that Jodie Whittaker card is extremely limited.

What is surprising is the sheer number of inscription cards (58) which at one per box will be near impossible to collect all.
 
Posts: 1089 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
What is surprising is the sheer number of inscription cards (58) which at one per box will be near impossible to collect all.


The concept of the inscription autograph as being a special variant has been completely ruined. RA turned it into simply another design format with "Game of Thrones" and it's carrying all the same design patterns through all its product titles. The inscription variant is now overused and generally uninspired in what they write. Also, some signers shorten or squeeze in their autographs to fit. Poor penmanship isn't improved with more words. The clean, unadorned autograph can be much more attractive.

Having said that, there are exceptions when the inscription has a meaningful wording or its just a favorite character/actor and it provides a different look to the autograph you already have. Since the ranges I have seen in GoT can go as high as 39 different inscriptions from a single person, and then with some as limited as 1, collecting all of them is impossible. Collecting all of a single signer is next to impossible.

The thing I dislike most is that inscription autographs are used as an excuse for why the box costs $169 SRP now. Over $120 seems to be the new average for RA. Look at the added value, they say. Sellers can charge more for the inscriptions because they are rarer, they say.

No and no. They don't add value in most cases because, like in all checklists, most cards are from common signers and common signers have limited demand. When you needed those cards to complete something, the common signer in a shorter print had some importance. If nothing can be completed anyway, then it's just falls to the lowest value the market will bear. Rarity is gone, because when you add them all up, common signers may be doing 200 - 300 inscription cards, if not more.

If each Doctor Who edition has 5,000 boxes, there will be 10,000 inscription autographs and 30,000 clean autographs in a combination of the other RA designs. The inscriptions will be expected to carry that premium value, even though I would venture to say that less than 2 in 5 will deserve it because of the signer or the quality of the inscription. Yet all inscription cards will be called a bigger hit and priced higher, if they can do it.

The manufacture of inscription autographs has erased the once blanket premium in my opinion. As variants they are just not that special anymore, at least not in RA products.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
 
Posts: 9630 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I am looking at the asian posters and really liking those. Thumb Up

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28833 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Over the Moon to pick up a Charlotte Ritchie autograph really surprised she was selling so cheaply. I guess shes not very well known in the US?
 
Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Member
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I've been pleasantly surprised with the autograph list. A lot of well known(to us Brits anyway Big Grin ) actors that I've loved in other things. The box price is still far too spicy, but getting actors like Laura Fraser, Julie Graham, Shaun Dooley, Siobhan Finneran as supposed more 'common' signers are not a disaster. Smile
On the flip side us Brits don't know who half the nobodies are in most US TV shows, so fair's fair and it is what it is. Wink Smile
 
Posts: 378 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
On the flip side us Brits don't know who half the nobodies are in most US TV shows, so fair's fair and it is what it is. Wink Smile


Yep, with all due respect to the actors, I don't know a single one pointed out so far by their name. I do watch many British mystery shows, so perhaps I would recognize a face that way.

It was just a bit different with "Game of Thrones" because they wove quite a few international actors into that one. However there were many, many people who were unknown in the US until they appeared in that series. Not just talking about the younger stars, but the character actors as well. Now I can pick them out in other shows, but wouldn't have noticed them without the connection.
 
Posts: 9630 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:


The concept of the inscription autograph as being a special variant has been completely ruined. RA turned it into simply another design format with "Game of Thrones" and it's carrying all the same design patterns through all its product titles. The inscription variant is now overused and generally uninspired in what they write. Also, some signers shorten or squeeze in their autographs to fit. Poor penmanship isn't improved with more words. The clean, unadorned autograph can be much more attractive.

Having said that, there are exceptions when the inscription has a meaningful wording or its just a favorite character/actor and it provides a different look to the autograph you already have. Since the ranges I have seen in GoT can go as high as 39 different inscriptions from a single person, and then with some as limited as 1, collecting all of them is impossible. Collecting all of a single signer is next to impossible.

The thing I dislike most is that inscription autographs are used as an excuse for why the box costs $169 SRP now. Over $120 seems to be the new average for RA. Look at the added value, they say. Sellers can charge more for the inscriptions because they are rarer, they say.

No and no. They don't add value in most cases because, like in all checklists, most cards are from common signers and common signers have limited demand. When you needed those cards to complete something, the common signer in a shorter print had some importance. If nothing can be completed anyway, then it's just falls to the lowest value the market will bear. Rarity is gone, because when you add them all up, common signers may be doing 200 - 300 inscription cards, if not more.

If each Doctor Who edition has 5,000 boxes, there will be 10,000 inscription autographs and 30,000 clean autographs in a combination of the other RA designs. The inscriptions will be expected to carry that premium value, even though I would venture to say that less than 2 in 5 will deserve it because of the signer or the quality of the inscription. Yet all inscription cards will be called a bigger hit and priced higher, if they can do it.

The manufacture of inscription autographs has erased the once blanket premium in my opinion. As variants they are just not that special anymore, at least not in RA products.


It was the GOT inscriptions that got me back into the hobby after a 5 year hiatus. I don’t think anyone is happy about Rittenhouse’s price increases, but unfortunately the cost of everything has gone up, even for card companies. I imagine they have to pay the actors more for their inscriptions too. With that being said, with GOT and TNG upcoming, there will be some $10 inscriptions in the bunch. Lord knows I had a lot of $10 cards in Iron Anniversary 2. I will note that Discovery Season 3 boxes with some main cast inscriptions weren’t over $100, but I realize it’s not as popular as other Trek Series. Also, there were only 2 autos per box, and if you were lucky, 3 with a signed relic card.

I do agree with you, Raven, about some of the inscriptions being “uninspired”. I HATE getting an inscription with just the character name or the name of the show on it.

____________________
Anne Welles - "You've got to climb Mount Everest to reach the Valley of the Dolls."

 
Posts: 3136 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
Looking at the signers for the set I see there are 61 different actors have signed spread across the 2 versions. So not as many as it looks when looking at the checklist.

Full Bleed 60 cards
Bordered 15 cards
Doubles 3 + 3 incentives
Inscriptions 59 cards

Sacha Dhawan only signed inscription and incentive cards. With 2 signers not doing inscription cards.
 
Posts: 300 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:

The autograph list is now up, no surprises that Jodie Whittaker card is extremely limited.

What is surprising is the sheer number of inscription cards (58) which at one per box will be near impossible to collect all.


Strangely, the Archive box has most of the Inscription cards, but just a few normal autograph cards, if I am reading it correctly.

https://www.scifihobby.com/pro...Box-Contents-HOB.jpg
 
Posts: 1089 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:

The autograph list is now up, no surprises that Jodie Whittaker card is extremely limited.

What is surprising is the sheer number of inscription cards (58) which at one per box will be near impossible to collect all.


Strangely, the Archive box has most of the Inscription cards, but just a few normal autograph cards, if I am reading it correctly.

https://www.scifihobby.com/pro...Box-Contents-HOB.jpg


Looking at what's classed as an inscription, I wouldn't bother. Writing "Doctor Who" before or after an autograph is not an inscription.
 
Posts: 3798 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I pre-ordered a basic set and binder from Rittenhouse and to my surprise both arrived today. The album card is P3 and features Bradley Walsh as Graham O'Brien.

Many thanks to Rittenhouse for a prompt despatch.

regards

John

____________________
 
Posts: 1987 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who thinks the asking prices for the Jody Whittaker autographs are ludicrous? Only 2 sold thus far on ebay. I assume they are being driven by the cost of the product from RI. If this is the pricing policy from them going forward, do you think it could kill your interest in collecting their releases?
 
Posts: 28 | Location: scotland | Registered: May 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
With the inscription cards, the Jodi Whittaker singed cards are not ludicrously rare, but the dealers probably think they need to put a high price on them to cover the cost of the lower priced limited/rare cards which will be harder to sell, even at ~$10.

For Doctor Who fans, there are plenty of interesting cards to collect, but it will be near impossible to collect everything, which is common to most recent Rittenhouse products.
 
Posts: 1089 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!

© Non-Sport Update 2013