Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
 Login/Join
 
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
Just had an e-mail from a UK dealer with prices . Noticed that according to the e-mail the UK cases are 10 boxes and the US cases 12 boxes . I suspect this is a mis-print and the number of boxes per case will be the same but does anyone know which number is correct ?


If you click through to cases on the RA website it says 12 boxes per UK case.

Doctor Who Series 11 & 12 Trading Cards - UK Case (12 Boxes)
 
Posts: 1084 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bond fans do collect things like the original novels and reissues, movie posters, and scale models/toys of the vehicles. But yeah, they haven't really collected many of the card products though the various sets go back almost as far into the 60's as the movies. People already collecting cards collect Bond cards.

I don't really know the Doctor Who collecting hobby. I know maybe two people who haven't seen a Bond film but I know a lot of people who haven't watched Doctor Who. I haven't seen a full episode since the 70's when a local channel paired it with "Space 1999" on Saturday evenings.

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:


Yeah..I see no comparison between Bond and Who in the collectible sense.



I'm curious why not?

To me Bond doesn't fit into the 'normal' type of shows that translate well into trading cards with longevity -- most of the long running trading card releases are sci-fi/fantasy related.

Also Dr. Who has a huge fan base. I personally see more Dr. Who collectibles / merchandise in my daily life that I see Bond stuff. I see Tardis shirts all the time.

I am also familiar with Dr. Who conventions -- not so much on the Bond side.

I may be wrong, this is just my personal experience. . .

There are people in my life who love Bond, and others who love Dr. Who. Oddly the Bond people are collectors who don't collect anything Bond related, and the Who people are not collectors who buy tons of Who merch.
 
Posts: 3309 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
People already collecting cards collect Bond cards.

Hey Jess,

Yeah, over the course of all these years, you could probably say that most card collectors would have bought at least some Bond, at some time, even if they weren't big fans.

Right or wrong, the modern card product has come to live or die on the quality of its autograph cards. Bond is right up at the top with the best of them. Star Wars beats Star Trek for the same reason.

The general rule is that autographs of popular movie actors are more in demand and thus more expensive than popular actors in TV shows. The Bond checklists have so many well-known film actors that have done tons of things besides Bond, it goes beyond just that title.
 
Posts: 9361 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I'm curious why not?


Probably should have clarified card collecting. You are correct in the broad world of collectables you seem to see more Who than Bond.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I don't really know the Doctor Who collecting hobby. I know maybe two people who haven't seen a Bond film but I know a lot of people who haven't watched Doctor Who. I haven't seen a full episode since the 70's when a local channel paired it with "Space 1999" on Saturday evenings.


My perception of Dr Who is exactly this. The fans seem to inject into the series at certain times and many of them find it difficult to go back to the older shows. Then future shows change their favorite Doctor and they bail. As a Bond fan I can go back to Dr No or Live and Let Die without much difficulty and enjoy it.


quote:
Originally posted by raven:
Right or wrong, the modern card product has come to live or die on the quality of its autograph cards. Bond is right up at the top with the best of them. Star Wars beats Star Trek for the same reason.


20+ years of signatures from some of the biggest names in the game have even pushed non-bond fans to chase after the Bond card product. Although Dr Who has a few (Baker, Tennant, Coleman) most of them are more well known to the UK base. Maybe I am wrong but it seems that production on Dr Who cards is much more contained because of this.

Not sure I buy the Wars/Trek comparison as the fan base for Star Wars is much bigger but it brings up a good point. Just like Dr Who, Star Trek as a following is much more disjointed than Star Wars. Star Wars is still mostly tracking the Skywalker timeline and no major divisions (other than hated movies) have split the fan base. Dr Who fans are split among the various doctors and Star Trek is all over the place.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,
 
Posts: 4079 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
The insertion rates of the chase cards are crazy, with some one/two per case it will be near impossible to complete, especially with the UK/US box exclusivity.

quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I received an email from a friendly dealer who has these priced at $156 a box.


That's Friendly Dealer™, thank you!

And to add some content for discussion, from said email:
quote:
These cards are in both versions:
...

16 Card New Year’s Specials set (1:24 Packs)
5 Card Heroes of Doctor Who set (1:48 Packs)
9 Card TARDIS set (1:48 Packs)
4 Card “Space for All” Metal Portraits set (1:288 Packs)*
7 Card “Asia/Realistic” Poster Card set (1:48 Packs)
4 Card The Universe is Calling set (1:144 Packs)*
1 New Year’s Special 2021 Poster Card (1:288 Packs)*
7 Card “Asia/Painted” Poster Card set (1:48 Packs)
4 Card Graffiti Art Character set (1:144 Packs)*
1 New Year’s Special 2019 Poster Card (1:288 Packs)*

...
 
Posts: 1084 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I like the sound of the asian posters.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28758 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

quote:
Originally posted by raven:
Right or wrong, the modern card product has come to live or die on the quality of its autograph cards. Bond is right up at the top with the best of them. Star Wars beats Star Trek for the same reason.


20+ years of signatures from some of the biggest names in the game have even pushed non-bond fans to chase after the Bond card product. Although Dr Who has a few (Baker, Tennant, Coleman) most of them are more well known to the UK base. Maybe I am wrong but it seems that production on Dr Who cards is much more contained because of this.

Not sure I buy the Wars/Trek comparison as the fan base for Star Wars is much bigger but it brings up a good point. Just like Dr Who, Star Trek as a following is much more disjointed than Star Wars. Star Wars is still mostly tracking the Skywalker timeline and no major divisions (other than hated movies) have split the fan base. Dr Who fans are split among the various doctors and Star Trek is all over the place.


Yes, excellent points about the fragmenting of the fan base between Star Wars and Star Trek.

My own comparison was more simplistic when I said Star Wars beats Star Trek because I was just talking about it from an autograph standpoint. If you were to take the values on the top 3 signed cards from the first SW trilogy and match them to those in STOS or take the top 3 signers from the next two groups of SW trilogies and match to the ST movies, there is no question that the bigger money cards are in Star Wars.

The signed cards from the likes of Ford, Hamill, Fisher, Portman, Ridley and MacGregor leave Shatner, Nimoy, Doohan, Pine, Saldana and Quinto far behind. And there are many, many more major movie stars in the Star Wars autograph checklists than in the many Star Trek TV series, which might only have Cumberbatch as a really current film star and my own favorite Yeoh. Forgot about Hemsworth, who used to be a common. Big Grin

So that's not to diminish Star Trek, it's just to acknowledge the market value between it and Star Wars. The same way that it must be said that a Doctor Who signer checklist is nowhere even close to having the value of all those Bond star autograph cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
 
Posts: 9361 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I want to know how many strands of gold are woven into each card to warrant this huge price rise. They say it's a premium product. My sets from them in 1999 are still holding up so what is so special?
 
Posts: 3796 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
I want to know how many strands of gold are woven into each card to warrant this huge price rise. They say it's a premium product. My sets from them in 1999 are still holding up so what is so special?


It is a puzzle to me too.

...However from a dealer point of view, all they are now interested in are the 'hits' and they get 4 autographs in this box and a few premium standard chase cards. So it makes little difference to them whether a £70 box has 2 autographs in or a £140 box has 4 autographs. Of course, the collectors have a different point of view.
 
Posts: 1084 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
I want to know how many strands of gold are woven into each card to warrant this huge price rise. They say it's a premium product. My sets from them in 1999 are still holding up so what is so special?


It is a puzzle to me too.

...However from a dealer point of view, all they are now interested in are the 'hits' and they get 4 autographs in this box and a few premium standard chase cards. So it makes little difference to them whether a £70 box has 2 autographs in or a £140 box has 4 autographs. Of course, the collectors have a different point of view.


With Lost in Space coming out just before this release, I couldn't afford both, but may have had a dabble if it had been the £70 option.
 
Posts: 3796 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I like the sound of the asian posters.


RA have updated both their web-pages with pictures of the cards. It looks like UK/USA exclusive autograph variants are part of the mix too.
 
Posts: 1084 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I like the sound of the asian posters.


RA have updated both their web-pages with pictures of the cards. It looks like UK/USA exclusive autograph variants are part of the mix too.


I really like the full bleed design. It looks really sharp with the yellow logo.
 
Posts: 5131 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Only disappointment is that Bradley Walsh doesn't appear to have signed
 
Posts: 12061 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Of the 5,000 boxes for the UK Dr Who how many will actually end up there and is there a Wholesaler to stock them?

In my opinion the only auto worth collecting is that of the Doctor as no one else interests me.

regards

John

____________________
 
Posts: 1954 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that if you really needed to produce two editions for a card product, it would be to target greater interest in certain areas and one edition should be made in a higher quantity than the other.

To make a hobby and an international edition with the same 5,000 box run, is simply to half your 10,000 box run Wink , and throw in a few exclusive cards with the hope that people will buy double the amount.

They won't. Not at these prices! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
 
Posts: 9361 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Of the 5,000 boxes for the UK Dr Who how many will actually end up there and is there a Wholesaler to stock them?

In my opinion the only auto worth collecting is that of the Doctor as no one else interests me.

regards

John


I think the 5,000 boxes is the combined run. If so, it is still too much, I just cannot see it selling through to collectors as well as a Star Trek release, plus with 4 autograph cards per box there are twice as many autograph cards hitting the market than as usual, which will likely drive down their price.
 
Posts: 1084 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
RA has listed the editions separately as "Hobby Edition limited to 5,000 numbered boxes" and "UK Edition limited to 5,000 numbered boxes".

I take that to mean that there will be a total of 10,000 Doctor Who Season 11 & 12 boxes available. GoT also had a numbered international edition with a difference of a handful of exclusive cards and a small insert set, but the rest were all the same.
 
Posts: 9361 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Doctor Who (Hobby)
Info Posted on RA website








Doctor Who (UK)







____________________
Today is a Good Day to Buy!
 
Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the box/case price point alone will drive up the price of the Jodie autographs. In normal years and with normal prices, I would say this is probably a $200-$300 card. But is it still *only* going to be worth that much when that is basically the price of 1 1/2 boxes? I guess it depends on what collectors say and the print runs. I really like the full bleed & inscription versions but if it's a $1000 card, then I am out for sure. I'd much rather go and get me a Topps David Tennant for 1/3 that price. Wink And on a semi-related side note, I'm a bit surprised those Tennant cards haven't exploded in price like everything else. I'm not a Doctor Who expert but I am a fan, and I know that guy is immensely popular in that role.
 
Posts: 2131 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
I wonder if the box/case price point alone will drive up the price of the Jodie autographs.


Only on the dealer side of things. They will work out how much they need to charge based on how much they laid out on product. The only thing that will drive up the price of the Jodie is the people buying it or not buying it which i still think is the more likely outcome.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28758 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!

© Non-Sport Update 2013