Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    James Bond Somportex Film Scenes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Bond Somportex Film Scenes
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering if anyone out there was collecting this set or already has completed this set. I am having trouble finding the variations and I still need 1 card to complete the set of 60. These have been pretty tough for me to find and most that I do are being sold from overseas.

Posts: 249 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
If you have a trades list of extras/needs, feel free to post it in the trading section a few section down.
http://nonsportupdate.infopop....s/a/cfrm/f/638605253

No buying or selling there, but if you have dupes, maybe someone can help with that final card!!

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bacall1:
I was wondering if anyone out there was collecting this set or already has completed this set. I am having trouble finding the variations and I still need 1 card to complete the set of 60. These have been pretty tough for me to find and most that I do are being sold from overseas.

I have about 6 cards from the original set but hased any more down as it iis very cost prohibitive given the price for cards in decent condition. The variations can go for big money as well.

These were a UK only set so I'm not surprised you are having trouble finding them over your side of the pond. Not to mention they were in short production due to their 'controversial' nature at the time.

I have settled for the Daleon reprint set that comes in a mini attache case + 4 additional cards explaining why they were banned. Its a great little factory set.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks X. This set has definitely proven expensive to complete. Is it known which variation of the 4 cards that have them is the toughest to find? I have at least 1 card of each variant duo and have both of #35. still looking for card 53 and even if I don't get the variants I will have a full numbered set. I should have gone for the reprint and might have to track it down as an addition to the original. Sound like a pretty cool set. I probably have 2/3rds of a 2nd set that I kept when I ended up upgrading cards in my collection. Just hoping to complete the one.

Posts: 249 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I did once come across an article detailing all the variant cards however I have since lost the information. From memory though (and I could be wrong on this) I'm sure there were 6 variants, not 4.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope there aren't 6. That will make it even tougher to complete. Doing a google search I was only able to find someone showing 4 variants and he only had pics of 3 of the pairs. I guess I need to look at my doubles more closely to see if I notice any that look different. I didn't even know of this set a year ago so I appreciate any new information on these. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
You were right about the 6 variants. Today I received all but 1 of the 6 variants and now I just need #39 to complete my set and I only need 3 variants to complete a 2nd set. I also bought an empty wrapper so all that is left besides the 1 card is an empty box. I have never seen one for sale though. My first set contains mostly VG to Excellent condition cards and some look NM. I have tried to upgrade so much that I am only 4 cards short of a 3rd set minus the variants and probably 20 - 25 short of a 4th set.
Here are the cards with variants that I have been able to obtain thus far.

quote:
Originally posted by X:
I did once come across an article detailing all the variant cards however I have since lost the information. From memory though (and I could be wrong on this) I'm sure there were 6 variants, not 4.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see the differences between the two Shirley Eaton cards, but what are the other variants in your pictures ? The shading on Ursula Andress' face ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
The main variations are the cropping. The middle 3 scans are cropped differently, look at where they crop at their hair or feet. The first card has "27" in the bottom right corner of the photo by the bathtub on the variation. This site gave me the info:
http://users.skynet.be/jamesbo...ond007ChewingGum.htm

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is one of the sites that helped me also. The Andress has the Number 35 at the bottom and you can tell a slight difference in the cropping and On card 44 you can see both her feet in 1 photo and not the other one. The ones on the bottom are the variants and they are terribly hard to find. I probably should look through my countless other duplicates to see if I can find any other variants, but as of now I have been relying on information provided by other collectors.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I can see what you all mean by the cropping but the only real variant is the Shirley Eaton, i personally would not spend money getting any of the others.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I know what you are saying Wolfie, but I am trying to be a completist. The number 58 is actually an extremely tough variant and it along with the Andress being printed the first time with the numbers on the image and then quickly pulled make them extremely desirable. The others I certainly get what you are saying and I probably wouldn't have noticed them upon just glancing at them.