Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Cards To Watch
 Login/Join
 
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I think I might be able to amend the thread title, if you think that would help?

Your original description is sufficient and encompasses ALL cards. Maybe a Mod can merge the 2 threads.


OK, but I don't mind revising to Cards/Promos To Watch or All Cards To Watch or something like that, if it helps.

I really think that there are many undervalued cards of all types that collectors don't know about because of the fixation with the prices of only the top tier hits/names.

Unfortunately neither your thread or this one seems to be getting many posts. I was hoping for more activity to give readers more information on cards that may be passing them by and perhaps some fresh ideas for their card collections.

Let me know if you ever want the wording changed.
 
Posts: 7985 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
There are still many lurkers on this platform who, for whatever reason, don't post often or hardly ever. but if you look at your "views" count, this thread and mine are getting lots of looks.

____________________
 
Posts: 822 | Location: fort lauderdale fl usa | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
There are still many lurkers on this platform who, for whatever reason, don't post often or hardly ever. but if you look at your "views" count, this thread and mine are getting lots of looks.


Very true, but people must post for anyone to have anything new to read. So we get the negative rap of having the same members with the same old consistent ideas talking, and that certainly includes us too Big Grin, but new talkers must emerge.

No one will be criticized for recommending their notion of undervalued cards to other collectors. It may be something new to consider and may be something to act on if it sounds good. We all want tips, fire away with cards to watch! Smile
 
Posts: 7985 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So I have been checking some cards on eBay that I haven't priced in awhile and I'm going to just throw these out there as a group because they are some really nice signature and relic cards that no one seems to be paying much attention to anymore. I'm speaking of the Dexter series, which once was quite hot with the first season's set, but peaked long before Breygent could manage to get the final set out.

I was very surprised to see the low asking prices for most of the hits and even star autographs are quite affordable. I think the highest I saw for multiple signature cards was well within reach. There are several award nominated actors that signed in these sets who have no other certified cards, including one of my favorite character actors of all time Margo Martindale, who may well win a 2020 Emmy for Mrs. America, and the long time Oscar nominated star Charlotte Rampling, among many others.

Give the cards a second look, even if Dexter was not your show.
 
Posts: 7985 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Although I am biased towards Inkworks here are some that i think will command higher prices if they come up on the bay.
Smallville 6 CL1
Family Guy A New Hope CL1
and some Naruto Promos will certainly get to be higher prices asked for them
 
Posts: 483 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Talking of Dexter there must be loads of people out there who think they have a master set.

Breygent made a set of 3 prop cards as a contest exclusivly for this forum and the 3 cards are numbered as such.

I would have thought these should be worth quite a bit to the right person.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28222 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:

For example the Serenity case card CL1 sat dormant for years .I wanted one but very few came up or i was not notified by my watch list as it had been described wrong etc but kept putting it off hoping for what was a cheap one for a cheaper one .
One came up one day for $100 plus and sold from then on this card had appreciated from copper to gold.
And has held its value from then on .



One of these just sold on ebay for $13.50.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28222 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
There you go just when you think that you have it sussed it comes and bites you in the a-s
 
Posts: 483 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
There are several award nominated actors that signed in these sets who have no other certified cards, including one of my favorite character actors of all time Margo Martindale, who may well win a 2020 Emmy for Mrs. America, and the long time Oscar nominated star Charlotte Rampling, among many others.

Give the cards a second look, even if Dexter was not your show.


Picked up the other John Lithgow for $40 a few weeks ago. Now I have both versions for under $90. Also picked up a Rampling, Stiles and Camargo for really cheap. Seems like the only real hot card I see from the Dexter sets is the Yvonne Strahovski.

Also picked up a Jimmy Smits at a great price. Have to admit that one baffles me a bit as he did not sign for SOA or Star Wars as far as I know.
 
Posts: 3316 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a weird one to watch. Many will remember the Machete card set (66 card factory set, Geekroom, 2013) especially for price. It was originally $125/set or $250 with a Lindsay Lohan autograph. By 2015 the price went down to about $35/set. If you look around now, you can get it for $11.99. You can say that's what it's worth as the movie didn't generate a lot of ticket sale but I liked it. Machete don't text.

Anyway, with a print run of only 300 sets at $16 (shipping and tax included) the set sounds like the kind of oddball that could bump up in value. I noticed that the seller has moved 85 sets as of today.

Jess
 
Posts: 1498 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here's a weird one to watch. Many will remember the Machete card set (66 card factory set, Geekroom, 2013) especially for price. It was originally $125/set or $250 with a Lindsay Lohan autograph. By 2015 the price went down to about $35/set. If you look around now, you can get it for $11.99. You can say that's what it's worth as the movie didn't generate a lot of ticket sale but I liked it. Machete don't text.

Anyway, with a print run of only 300 sets at $16 (shipping and tax included) the set sounds like the kind of oddball that could bump up in value. I noticed that the seller has moved 85 sets as of today.

Jess


I just picked up a couple, 1 to open and 1 to keep sealed.

Yeah if I remember correctly I think that seller is the manufacturer. I picked up one of the Lohan cards and exchanged some emails with him. You can also get the Lohan signed nun with a gun figure for the low price of $29.99 Smokin'
 
Posts: 3316 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Darn you!
You made me buy a set.
I am a hypocrite, because I said I stopped collecting, but I love the MACHETE movies.
My greedy governor charged sales tax, of course.
 
Posts: 2178 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Seems like the only real hot card I see from the Dexter sets is the Yvonne Strahovski.


In terms of general demand and possibly more value potential I think you're right. Fans remember her fondly from Chuck and she is still doing films and starring in the streaming Stateless.

Jennifer Carpenter is doing more voice work lately than acting before the cameras. Michael C. Hall was signing in every set and it hurt his value. Remar is a thrill for Warrior fans. Julie Benz still has a following from a slew of card related TV shows and Julia Stiles is still doing movies, so they are somewhat in play. Lithgow, Smits, Rampling and Martindale are dirt cheap for their solid bodies of work.

There are also some very good looking costume, relic and prop cards in Dexter that could command higher prices. Some of them might even be called variants, like the bowling shirt patch card.

The only problem with the autographs in some years was that the cards were too glossy and it made the signatures streaky and unattractive. I don't think I've ever seen a Smits autograph that I liked, but he hasn't signed elsewhere as you said.

The quality of the Dexter cards far exceeded the success of the show to me. I watched and liked Dexter for the first 3 years, by the 5th year I stopped looking. It all wrapped up in a total mess by the 8th and final season. Just like Hannibal and Bates Motel, you can't really make a sympathetic anti-hero out of a psycho serial killer over the long haul.

However forgetting the base, insert and parallel cards altogether, I would put Breygent's Dexter hits at the top of my card collector's list for their quality and affordable, undervalued prices.
 
Posts: 7985 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I remember my boss at the last place I worked really hating the last season of Dexter.

I loved the series from beginning to end.
 
Posts: 2178 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The only problem with the autographs in some years was that the cards were too glossy and it made the signatures streaky and unattractive. I don't think I've ever seen a Smits autograph that I liked, but he hasn't signed elsewhere as you said.


Also season 5 used some light colored pens. Almost afraid of keeping my Stiles autograph in the light as it might fade. Have an Olivia Cooke from Bates that is the same way as well.

I noticed many of the Smits sigs were smeared but I did manage to find one with a clean signature in black. Very happy to have it and always enjoy his work.
 
Posts: 3316 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Talking of Dexter there must be loads of people out there who think they have a master set.

Breygent made a set of 3 prop cards as a contest exclusivly for this forum and the 3 cards are numbered as such.

I would have thought these should be worth quite a bit to the right person.


Although i have done a search i cannot find any photo's of these. Frown

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28222 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember reading that you won a Dexter prop card in a Card Talk contest but also think Card Talk did at least two Dexter giveaways 8-10 years ago. Did you do a search of this site? The only problem is that a lot of the photo links from back then are broken.

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Talking of Dexter there must be loads of people out there who think they have a master set.

Breygent made a set of 3 prop cards as a contest exclusivly for this forum and the 3 cards are numbered as such.

I would have thought these should be worth quite a bit to the right person.


Although i have done a search i cannot find any photo's of these. Frown
 
Posts: 1498 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So I think the thread I bumped up in the NSU section at the top of Card Talk is the one you guys are talking about. Don't know how many images survived. Maybe not, they don't seem to be props, but multi case incentives. Still nice.

Breygent was great for customer relations. I remember that they made redemption cards in Grimm that got the holder a complete and intact screen used prop. Don't know who ever got those either, but it would have been so cool. Thumb Up
 
Posts: 7985 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Did you do a search of this site? The only problem is that a lot of the photo links from back then are broken.

Jess



Yes the thread is still there but all the images have gone.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28222 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
If the upcoming The Batman movie from Matt Reeves is half as good as the trailer that dropped the other day, I think it will be a popular one with Batmam fans.
Maybe some DC card collectors will want the new Commissioner Gordon's auto - and look to pick up some of Jeffrey Wright's Bond auto cards?

Upper Deck made him artificially scarce, however despite all four of his Rittenhouse autos being 'very limited', they are all very easy to find.

He was one of the most requested hold-outs RA could not secure for the longest time, and unlike many celebs they interacted with, RA repeatedly shared he had flat out refused to participate.

He's a great actor and will be returning in No Time To Die as well. His cards are criminally under-priced IMO and can go REALLY cheap in eBay auctions. One of my favourite Bond autos from the Daniel Craig era:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,
 
Posts: 3025 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6  
 


© Non-Sport Update 2013