Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards To Watch
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There are a few longer shots coming from Game of Thrones that I think may outpace the initially more popular younger stars of that series. As the prime example I really like Bella Ramsey, who is only 16 now and has been acting for a few years. She reminds me of a younger Saoirse Ronan, who is at a ripe 26 years of age herself.

Millie Bobby Brown is another good name to watch. She is also just 16 and many people don't know that she is actually British. She will be returning in Godzilla vs Kong and of course is still in Stranger Things, if the new season ever drops.

These two kids are so young its hard to say what they will do in the future, but all three look like good actors to me. If they get to be big stars, as Ronan already is, all the better.

Posts: 10425 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Just one thing to add to the conversation is the secondary collectible market bears little on the arrangement between a signer and manufacturer. Especially when dealing with what we are calling the "common" autograph. A card manufacturer must operate within the set price for the entire box and not just the one signature card. It's not as if what the market does with open product is going to kick back to the card manufacturer.
[/QUOTE]

Getting away from topic again, but I'm not sure I can agree with that, or perhaps I am misunderstanding your point. Yes, a common signer is going to be handled in a standard way. Yes, a card manufacturer must budget out the overhead on any project to achieve the necessary profit margin that the company has to make for the product.

However I believe what happens on the the secondary market bears significant influence and pressure on the card manufacturer, particularly for hobby only products. Getting away with a mass retail product is a lot easier than trying to sell 8000 hobby boxes to either card collectors or to dealers/sellers looking for resale to card collectors. Good or bad, what happens on the secondary market in the last hobby only product does kick back to the card manufacturers in the next product and they know it. Its why card makers take care to try to sweeten deals with buyers and dealers after too many of their new products under perform in resale.

When cards come out in great demand and high prices on the secondary market, that's a hot ticket. When they appreciate on the secondary market over time, be it for stars or commons, that's a bonus. When they are dumped early on, that's something everybody reacts to right away because it will effect what is made next. So in that regard it may not be the very old open product, but I think its what's happening with the new open products that does effect things like what titles, what signers, what incentives, what designs card makers need to sell the next set coming.

Posts: 10425 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Getting away from topic again, but I'm not sure I can agree with that, or perhaps I am misunderstanding your point. Yes, a common signer is going to be handled in a standard way. Yes, a card manufacturer must budget out the overhead on any project to achieve the necessary profit margin that the company has to make for the product.

Yeah ya kinda nuked it. All I was saying was this part.

When a celebrity complains about seeing their card sell for much more on ebay than what they were compensated there is no connection.

Obviously popularity and demand will have their role in determining production as needed. But I was referring to the confines of a single release.

Posts: 4867 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
My order came in, I got numbers 278 and 286....wonder if he is finally getting low on them?

Actually for what it is it's a very nice set. I am glad to have it.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here's a weird one to watch. Many will remember the Machete card set (66 card factory set, Geekroom, 2013) especially for price. It was originally $125/set or $250 with a Lindsay Lohan autograph. By 2015 the price went down to about $35/set. If you look around now, you can get it for $11.99. You can say that's what it's worth as the movie didn't generate a lot of ticket sale but I liked it. Machete don't text.

Anyway, with a print run of only 300 sets at $16 (shipping and tax included) the set sounds like the kind of oddball that could bump up in value. I noticed that the seller has moved 85 sets as of today.

Jess

Posts: 4867 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I got my MACHETE set today too!
Is that the number on the back?
Mine is AP/300!

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I got my MACHETE set today too!
Is that the number on the back?
Mine is AP/300!

Yeah, in a box, if you open it there is a sealed wrap around the set that says Machete. Strange, AP usually stands for Artist Proof. Seller was slybrood7. Sounds like a valid question to ask the seller if it is the same one.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Here's the back of the box.
Whatever it is, I have no plans to open it.

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Haha! It is still a valid question. What part of AP fits into 300? Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Haha! It is still a valid question. What part of AP fits into 300? Wink

Maybe no part. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Was looking through some of the Star Trek Beyond autographs and found three actresses with a solid career since the film.

Fiona Vroom has yet to break out but has been busy. Including 7 episodes on Snowpiercer.

Lydia Wilson has starred in Requiem and Flack along with other TV and move projects.

Melissa Roxburgh was in the series Valor the movie I Still Believe and stars in the show Manifest going into its 3rd season.

All three can be found for under $15.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My dad got 287/300 a couple of weeks ago. He opened it and got a kick out of it.

Jess

quote:
My order came in, I got numbers 278 and 286....wonder if he is finally getting low on them?

Actually for what it is it's a very nice set. I am glad to have it.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here's a weird one to watch. Many will remember the Machete card set (66 card factory set, Geekroom, 2013) especially for price. It was originally $125/set or $250 with a Lindsay Lohan autograph. By 2015 the price went down to about $35/set. If you look around now, you can get it for $11.99. You can say that's what it's worth as the movie didn't generate a lot of ticket sale but I liked it. Machete don't text.

Anyway, with a print run of only 300 sets at $16 (shipping and tax included) the set sounds like the kind of oddball that could bump up in value. I noticed that the seller has moved 85 sets as of today.

Jess

Posts: 4411 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Orphan Blacks's Tatiana Maslany has just been announced as Marvel's She Hulk.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
In my humble opinion, some of the most undervalued promotional cards that exist are the animation gallery promo cards released by both Disney and WB during the mid to late 1990s. At that time, these 2 studios issued hundreds of different animation cels depicting the characters and scenes from those franchises' favorite movies or cartoons. These cels were sold through the Warner Brothers and Disney stores and each cost up to thousands of dollars despite the fact that they were being produced by the respective studios as limited edition releases from a few thousand to as few as 250 production runs.

To herald an upcoming cel, these studios would print and issue reproductions of the cels, printed on glossy trading card stock. Because the real cels cost thousands to purchase, the print run for the promotional versions was mostly very small and those cards were sent to stores that sold the animation cels so they could distribute them to customers who may be interested in acquiring an original.

There are several hundreds of these different promotional cards which exist, displaying just about every character in the DC and Disney universes. The WB ones, clearly say that they are promotional and "not for sale", whereas the Disney ones do not carry that designation. Yet, all of them were produced as a promo card. They come in varying sizes, but most are 4x6 to 5x7. The artwork is very detailed and some either have a blank back or detail the print run of the original cel including some other identifying info such as the name of the gallery where one could be purchased. As with a lot of promotional material, the exact print run of the doppelgangers is unknown but is definitely very low since the originals could only be afforded by well heeled customers and purchased only through specialized venues.
These cards are truly beautiful, unfortunately nowadays, many show their age through dog ears and surface scratches etc.. so caveat emptor. But, you can still find many of these for sale, in great shape, either individually or through "lot" sales on Ebay or other collectible sites. You'll have to do some searching because sellers list them under various designations. You might want to start under the nomenclature of "WB or Disney animation gallery reproduction cards" etc.. These can still be found for very reasonable prices if you don't mind plugging in different search words in your quest. These cards are becoming scarcer as collectors of these 2 franchises are discovering their existence. It's not too late to pick these beauties, if you don't mind a little sleuthing. Once discovered, I believe their prices will rise commensurately with their scarcity and rising popularity.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
John Cleese
John Hurt
Julie Christie
Maggie Smith
Gary Oldman
Michael Gambon
Miranda Richardson
David Tennent
Michelle Fairley
Helena Bonham Carter
Brendon Gleeson

All on certified Harry Potter autograph cards and not even mentioning the three lead actors. I'm sure I have missed a few other notable signers, some like Smith and Christie, who have signed for no other titles.

I don't know if there is such great demand for Potter cards as the years go by. They are already in most of the better collections for fans, but taken as a whole, Artbox did a beautiful job with autographs, props and costumes. And it was across a number of sets. I would stack them up against any of the long running titles who may be bigger, but not of better quality. We don't hear enough about these cards anymore.

If Artbox had been able to get autographs from Alan Rickman, Ralph Finnes and Robbie Coltrane, I would have called the Potter series perfect. Smile

Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
Most of the Harry Potter autograph cards are holding their value and increasing. I keep my eyes on them from time to time.
There are a lot of HP signers whom have since died. So even the lower end ones are still a stronger price than when they were first released.

Other actors to add to those HP signed cards: Kenneth Branagh - I think the only other cards he signed were for Wild Wild West and Thor.
Julie Walters - only signed for HP. She might not be as famous in the US, but to the Brits she's a national treasure and so is one of my favourite HP cards.
Robert Pattinson - Rarely see his two cards cheap, including the dual and I doubt they'll ever drop in value.

I also wish Artbox had got Emma Thompson, Domhnall Gleeson and Jim Broadbent. The latter did sign for GoT, so that's something.

Posts: 429 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Also from Game of Thrones, Jessica Henwick. She has a large role in Underwater coming out now and a few projects in the works including Kong vs. Godzilla.

Shes had a strong 2020 and I see she has now landed a role in Matrix 4.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Naomi Ackie has just been announced to play Whitney Houston. She has several Star Wars cards under $40.

https://www.hollywoodreporter....aomi-ackie-exclusive

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just saw that Charlie Cox will be reprising his role as Daredevil in the next Spider-Man movie. . .

His DD auto was selling for ~$60, which I think would be far below a main 'hero' autograph from any MCU set.

Posts: 5422 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I didn't watch "Babylon 5" when it was first run and didn't collect the sets but clearly remember all the talk about the "Mira Furlan Mystery Card" when collectors found it in packs of Babylon 5: Special Edition in 1997. It didn't have the same design as the other cards and it was unnumbered so it stuck out and everyone wanted to know what it was.

It turned out to be an accidental chase card. Furlan, who played one of the characters in the TV series, had negotiated for a quantity of specially-printed cards for her own use in her autograph card deal. Later, she signed and sold them at her appearances at shows. She probably made more money doing that because she was getting $35 each before she raised the price to $50. A mix-up at Skybox led to an unknown quantity of unsigned cards getting randomly inserted in packs. I saw online that it was speculated that 200-300 might have been in packs but does anyone remember the approximate odds of getting one in a pack? Were they every other box or more like two per case?

Anyway, the card peaked in value in the $100-120 range in the months right after the release and leveled off around $75 for years. The card and the set seemed to slip into relative obscurity after 2008 during a time when card values were largely dropping across the board due to the recession and while NSU was deleting entries from the price guide to make room for new titles. It isn't listed in the 2020 Beckett Non-Sport Almanac but a check of Ebay Completed Listings show unsigned cards have sold a few times for about $20. I haven't seen a signed card sell in recent years. Dealers have been trying to get $50 or more but they go unsold. Twenty bucks seems like a really good deal for an oddball card like that, though in the absence of a recent reboot, the old "Babylon 5" episodes don't seem to be pulling in new fans. Just about everyone who would be interested in the card already has it. I still think it's an interesting card worth having even if the mystery has long since been solved.

Posts: 4411 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just saw another fairly unknown name from the Game of Thrones pop up in Hollywood Reporter. I did not know that Nell Tiger Free was featured in M. Night Shyamalan's Servant or did a couple of other cable shows last year. Anyway she is just 21 and starting to get press. GoT autograph cards are already better than commons, so maybe I'm the one who is late on this one.