Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards To Watch
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I thought TERMINATOR SALVATION was a great movie and eagerly collected all the cards, autographs included. But that's just because I have impeccable taste, harumph, harumph.

OK, we'll go with that. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I actually liked T Salvation as well.

Unfortunately the card set suffered from a lack of sigs from all the major cast and my on card Michael Ironside from Outer Limits beats a sticker any day of the week.

I have picked up a few in putting casts together but I think getting Jane isn't a bad idea at all.

Really not sure if Jadagrace has bailed out of the biz to complete her education or if she is done. Can't find much on her these days.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I did pick up Angourie Rice from the Spider Man set for $40. Really didn't see much from her in that film but really liked her in Nice Guys.

Someone to watch for sure.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice pick up on Angourie Rice, those were holding at $60 for a long time, but looks like they finally dipped. I think there is potential there too.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just copycatted you and picked up a Rice on COMC -- couldn't pass it up for the price. Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I just copycatted you and picked up a Rice on COMC -- couldn't pass it up for the price. Thanks for the tip.

Nice! Still wondering what sigs will be released in the Spiderman set.

Does anyone have an opinion on Erin Kellyman? Saw her in Solo and thought she was very beautiful but her role really wasn't all that deep.

She's in other things that I don't really care for, was wondering if anyone else watches her work on television?

posted Hide Post
Just picked up another Rice on COMC -- there are some good deals on there. Currently there is a Rice listed for $30.25, which I think is a steal.

No clue on Kellyman. . . so hard to tell what someone's career is going to look like.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
John David Washington

Played one year for the 2006 St Louis RAMS. Went to European league after that.

Currently has one autograph rookie card (as far as I can tell) Play Off Contender Under $40 if you can find it.

Played lead in Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman

Also Book of Eli, HBO's Ballers and acting career has been on the move since 2017. Working on two projects for 2020.

Son of Denzel and Pauletta Washington.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
John David Washington

Played one year for the 2006 St Louis RAMS. Went to European league after that.

Currently has one autograph rookie card (as far as I can tell) Play Off Contender Under $40 if you can find it.

Pop his name into Tradingcarddb and there are others listed:

2006 Leaf Rookies & Stars - Rookie Autographs Longevity #110 John David Washington AU, SN50
2006 Leaf Rookies & Stars - Rookie Autographs Longevity Holofoil #110 John David Washington AU, SN25
2006 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity - Rookie Autographs #110 John David Washington AU, SN125
2006 Playoff Contenders #142 John David Washington RC, AU
2006 Playoff Contenders - Championship Ticket #142 John David Washington AU, SN50
2006 Playoff National Treasures #106 John David Washington RC, AU, MEM, SN99
2006 Playoff National Treasures - Gold #106 John David Washington MEM, AU, SN30
2006 Playoff National Treasures - Rookie Signature Gold #106 John David Washington AU, SN15
2006 Playoff National Treasures - Rookie Signature Material Gold #106 John David Washington AU, MEM, SN25
2006 Playoff National Treasures - Rookie Signature Material Silver #106 John David Washington AU, MEM, SN49
2006 Playoff National Treasures - Rookie Signature Silver #106 John David Washington AU, SN30

Also a couple of 1 of 1's, which if you have, you probably already know about, and if you don't, you probably won't.

(or were you not considering most of these because they were limited runs)?

(somewhere I've got a list of people who are on sports cards but have fame/notability for non-athletic endeavors -- like Gina Carano, who is building an acting career, or Bubba Smith, or Jesse Ventura, etc. I need to add Washington to it.)

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

(or were you not considering most of these because they were limited runs)?

Nope! Did an Ebay search and only found one. Then bought it. Wink Usually with sports stuff there is a pretty good selection to be found. From a football perspective his card wouldn't be worth much but if his acting career continues to rise (especially if he does not sign any non sport releases) there is some real potential in what looks to be just a few hundred cards he signed.

Most of these are the same set and the same number just a different tier level.

quote:
(somewhere I've got a list of people who are on sports cards but have fame/notability for non-athletic endeavors -- like Gina Carano, who is building an acting career, or Bubba Smith, or Jesse Ventura, etc. I need to add Washington to it.)

Yeah Gina was pretty good in The Mandalorian. I recently picked up a James Brown for my Original Gangstas cast.

https://photos.google.com/shar...ZUh6QlRPOWNXSW8zN29R

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is a whole slew of athletes who tried to break into films and TV. Most went for small supporting roles or even just cameos, but a few tried to be stars for awhile. Alex Karras succeeded on TV. Howie Long had a movie and of course John Cena is still trying it. The Rock, Dwayne Johnson, won the prize. I'm sure its a long list and they were on sports cards and maybe some of them were signed cards.

And then there is the most notorious of them all, O. J. Simpson.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recently picked up a James Brown for my Original Gangstas cast.

I read this and my first thought was, "What's he talking about? The Godfather of Soul has no sports cards."

And I looked at the Original Gangstas picture. I'll bet Charles Napier wished they had picked a different picture.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

I read this and my first thought was, "What's he talking about? The Godfather of Soul has no sports cards."

And I looked at the Original Gangstas picture. I'll bet Charles Napier wished they had picked a different picture.

Ha! I wish I had THAT James Brown!! Would go good with my Rocky IV group.

Yeah...some photos selected by the card companies are not very flattering. I have been looking at doing one of the Naked Gun films, may have to purchase an OJ.

I have Howie for 3000 miles to graceland, he's got a really nice signature.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been looking at doing one of the Naked Gun films, may have to purchase an OJ.

You should be able to find a certified Simpson card cheaply. No cards during his playing years carried certified autographs, but he appeared on 3 or 4 certified cards in the 90's, some after The Trial.

I talked to a dealer a few years ago and he said the market for Simpson was just gone then. He couldn't get $50 for a certified autograph card and the bottom fell out of his once very high rookie card and still no one wanted it. Usually you have at least some curiosity seekers picking up stuff from infamous celebrities, but not here.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

You should be able to find a certified Simpson card cheaply.

Yeah, much of his unauthenticated stuff has pretty much hit the dirt. The mid 90's and licensed hall of fame stuff floats between $25 and $45. There are some low numbered newer items and high graded older items that can still sell for a few hundred dollars. I guess he even signed for one company during the trial.

I just need a licensed sig so a $35 hall of fame card will do. ;-)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Merlin Olsen did well on TV. Joe Namath had a short-lived show. Andre the Giant played Bigfoot on "Six Million Dollar Man" and was in "The Princess Bride" and don't forget Carl Weathers, who was in "Predator," "Rocky" movies, and now "The Mandalorian."

quote:
quote:

There is a whole slew of athletes who tried to break into films and TV. Most went for small supporting roles or even just cameos, but a few tried to be stars for awhile. Alex Karras succeeded on TV. Howie Long had a movie and of course John Cena is still trying it. The Rock, Dwayne Johnson, won the prize. I'm sure its a long list and they were on sports cards and maybe some of them were signed cards.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Aldis Hodge seems to be on the move.

Invisible Man looks really good and Clemency is getting a lot of praise.

In Supernatural S1 release, still pretty cheap.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'd keep an eye on Aisling Franciosi autographs from Game of Thrones. She was fantastic in "The Nightingale". The movie is a very difficult watch, but she was great in it. Definitely an autograph with upside potential.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What about Bob Uecker ? Smile

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Merlin Olsen did well on TV. Joe Namath had a short-lived show. Andre the Giant played Bigfoot on "Six Million Dollar Man" and was in "The Princess Bride" and don't forget Carl Weathers, who was in "Predator," "Rocky" movies, and now "The Mandalorian."

quote:
quote:

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you wanted to do one of mykdude's collages for a movie with only autographed sports cards, "Blue Chips" might be the one that you could get the most for --
There are signed cards for
Shaquille O'Neal
Rick Pitino
Bobby Knight
Bob Cousy
Larry Bird
Jerry Tarkanian
Matt Painter
Allan Houston
Dick Vitale
Jim Boeheim
Bobby Hurley
Penny Hardaway
Marques Johnson
Kevin Garnett
George Lynch
George Raveling

Plus signed cards for non-athletes
Ed O'Neill
Mary McDonnell
Alfre Woodard
Jim Beaver
Robert Wuhl
Lou Gossett Jr

Another movie with a bunch of athletes in cameo roles is "Any Given Sunday" -- you could probably do a bunch of signed cards for it as well, athlete and non-athlete.