Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Signed Base Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Thanks for the info, would love to have met Pertwee.

Is it a coincidence that all the main Doctor Who actors all seem to be fairly/very fan friendly?

It's like any workplace , the people at the top set the example for everyone else . You look at all of the seven original doctors and all of them were very responsive to fans . That behaviour then rubs off on the other actors .

I would have loved to have met Patrick Troughton but sadly he passed away just before I started going to conventions .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have reached out to the seller and his explanation is Genuine Authentic on the hologram or whatever it is .
As other posters on this site have said anyone can make one of these , But this is the first time I have seen one like this
I am not against anyone collecting these cards as this is all anyone could get before Trading card companies started bringing out certified signature cards etc. A lot of them look really good especially the custom cards that people make .
What i am against is them being sold like they are being described as if they were in the set
or hinting that they were in the set.
I think that they should be given a seperate title EG Nathan Fillion Personally signed autograph or Personally signed .... on card so they cannot be attributed to any companys authorised certified cards I have actually had a young collector showing me a card signed by a famous N Z Rugby player thinking that it was one of the very limited edition ones and thinking that he had a $500 card .
How do you burst their bubble ?
The same happens here there are mostly NZ sports cards that have base signed cards for sale asking sometimes $20,30 and more for them .I think that the time has come to give this type of card its own personal slot after all they are only autographs

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
I have reached out to the seller and his explanation is Genuine Authentic on the hologram or whatever it is .

So its a signature authentication hologram then? There have been a couple of grading services in the not so recent past who used variations of GA. They were popular for awhile, but things happened.

I understand your concern, but if a seller deliberately uses language that makes it seem as though an autograph card is certified by the card maker, that would be misrepresentation and its actionable. If its just that the buyer is assuming what's not being said, there is not a lot you can do about it when nothing in the description is a lie.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I feel like the bigger issue here is that almost all signed based cards look ugly as hell Big Grin

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It goes back to what was said about "holy grails" - they're personal. I haven't set out to collect autographs on base cards or other cards not meant to be signed but I have at least two. I heard that Ralph McQuarrie was going to sign at a local show but I didn't have any posters nor prints with his artwork on them so I took what I had to the show which was a couple of Star Wars Mastervisions promos (oversized cards). Someone else might have kicked out for an art print and now I wish I had done that too - didn't see him at a show again - but it's nice to have those even if they aren't certified. It's more of a souvenir than a collectible.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
I feel like the bigger issue here is that almost all signed based cards look ugly as hell Big Grin

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
It's more of a souvenir than a collectible.

Jess

I'm with you Jess. For every personal signing I attended, besides the inscribed photo, I always shelled out for at least one more autograph on a card that I brought along. There is no re-sale value in it, I just like cards better. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end". Smile

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember that song. My earliest radio memories are of listening to the one in the family car on our way to visit my grandparents (my mom's parents didn't live far from my dad's). That was a hit song at the time (1969-1970). "Good Morning Starshine" was another one. You don't hear those songs on the radio anymore.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
It's more of a souvenir than a collectible.

Jess

I'm with you Jess. For every personal signing I attended, besides the inscribed photo, I always shelled out for at least one more autograph on a card that I brought along. There is no re-sale value in it, I just like cards better. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end". Smile

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Welsh folk singer Mary Hopkin . Those were the days indeed Smile .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post