Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Find
Notify
Tools
Open That Box 2007
 Login/Join

Picture of QBall
posted Hide Post
Match of the Day has just finished (good 3-1 win for the boys) and I've finally opened the last of my boxes just in time. Maybe I did go a little OTT for OTBD but it turned out to be well worth it in the end.

I'll post the full breakdowns in the appropriate threads once I get the base sets sorted out but here are the main highlights (pics below) :

Family Guy : Season 2

Sketch S2-5 Chris Griffin (colour) by Billy Martinez (108/507)

Spawn : The Movie

The Devil's Own (first 1:108 card I've ever pulled from a pack)

Lord of the Rings : Masterpieces

2 x Artist Sketches (1 pencil, 1 ink, no idea who by so any help would be appreciated)

X-Files : Season 4 & 5

Autograph Redemption for Jerry Hardin (have to get onto Sue @ Inkworks to see if this is still valid)
Death Card D2 King of Hearts

Comic Images : Supreme

Nothing special from this but what a gorgeous set - can't understand why I've never picked these up sooner

Alias : Season 4

Autograph A35 Michael McKean
Pieceworks PW6 Marcus Dixon's jacket

Charmed : Conversations

Autograph A1 Alyssa Milano Smile Smile
Pieceworks PWCC6 Elder Zola's robes

Men In Black

Cards In Black B1 Jay

Lost : Season 2

Autograph A22 Monica Dean
Pieceworks PW5 Hurley's shirt

Sabrina the Teenage Witch

And a wierd one to finish with. Picked up three boxes of these over the years - and I've had exactly the same chase cards in each box (prisms S2 & S4)!

Posts: 365 | Location: Up North, England | Registered: October 24, 2002Report This Post
Picture of Thush
posted Hide Post
QBall - those two LOTR sketches are Ryan Waterhouse (left) and Robert Teranishi (right).
LOTR Masterpieces Signature Page

Posts: 385 | Location: London, UK | Registered: October 10, 2006Report This Post
Picture of QBall
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Thush. Know which cards to tick off on the spreadsheet now Smile

Posts: 365 | Location: Up North, England | Registered: October 24, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well apart from opening a box of cornflakes for breckfast Big Grin
My OTB was Sin City by Comic Images
Nothing spectacular Frown

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Report This Post
Picture of ocdlotr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QBall:
Lord of the Rings : Masterpieces

2 x Artist Sketches (1 pencil, 1 ink, no idea who by so any help would be appreciated)

Hey QBall...the first is an Orc by Waterhouse...and the second looks like GashFace by Teranishi... Thumb Up

Posts: 216 | Location: New York | Registered: March 28, 2006Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey QBall????
What were the chase cards for Comic Images Supreme?????
And you are right, it is a fab set Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
I just realized what day it was. I almost missed it. I bought a case of Artbox Universal Monsters Frankenstein a while back to resell but I decided I would open a box to see if I can get a sketch card by one of the other artists.

The first thing I see is the Glow In The Dark Bride Of Frankenstein. This is the first time i've seen one of these in person. They are neat little figures. About 10 packs in I come to a sketch card. It's a Chris Henderson. Not only that it's the least favorite of my sketches. I like the sketches I did but I was hoping to get one by someone else. Maybe I'll pull one of the other chase cards. A few packs later I pull a second sketch. This time it's a Mike Renzine. That was 2 sketches in 1 box. I also pulled 4 of the 9 glow in the dark chase cards and 2 complete Base sets. That was fun so I think I'll open another one.

Box 1
Sketch - Chris Henderson
Sketch - Mike Renzine
Glow In The Dark - R2, R6, R7, R9
Glow In The Dark Bride Of Frankenstein

I'll be back ina little while with the 2nd box.

Chris H

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Report This Post
Picture of QBall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KADRAN00157:
Hey QBall????
What were the chase cards for Comic Images Supreme?????
And you are right, it is a fab set Smile

Check your e-mails Smile

Picture of Darth Smittyous
posted Hide Post
Hey everyone,

It sounds like everyone is having a good time opening their boxes today. I meant to post earlier, but I've been playing Lego Star Wars 2 (that game is addictive!!!)

Anyway...

Erin and I bought our boxes for today at the Philly show a few weeks ago.

Here are Erin's results:

Disney Collector Cards Series 2
- She pulled the double-sided hologram that she needed

Wizard of Oz
- Jerry Maren autograph
- color Chris Henderson Wicked Witch sketch

As for my box pulls:

DC Outburst: Firepower
- full set of Maximum Firepower inserts
- Batman hologram card

Marvel Masterpieces (1992)
- two full base sets (I was surprised by the near perfect colation)
- Wolverine/Sabertooth foil x2 and Silver Surfer/Thanos x2
I wish the chase card had been as nicely colated as the base cards. I still need Captain America/Red Skull and Hulk/Thing (already had Spider-Man/Venom).

My last box had a lot of nostalgic significance for me. When I was at the Philly show, I found a box of Star Wars Galaxy series 1. While that may not seem like much by today's standards, this set is what got me back into collecting trading cards and rekindled my love for Star Wars. When I saw the box, I knew it would be perfect for OTBD. While I did not actually need the cards for my set, just opening these packs again after so many years was fun. I was able to make a full base set, which kind of surprised me because I remember having trouble completing the set years ago. As for the inserts, there wasn't a redemption card (although my jaw would have hit the floor if I had pulled one). The box contained a Leia foil and a Vader foil (which is still one of my favorite Star Wars cards). Since the etched foils have been continued in several recent sets, it was nice to pull some of the cards that started the series.

I hope everyone has a great time with opening their boxes today.

Craig

Posts: 65 | Location: VA | Registered: February 20, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Ribeyespud
posted Hide Post
Holy trading cards Batman! I decided to open a Batman Returns hobby box for OTBD and I got....no autos and 1 costume card of Batman's cape, plus the normal breakdown of base cards. Although nothing really special, it was still fun to celebrate the day. Special note to Chris Henderson, I bought your ear pull 3 card sketch cards of the three stooges and think you rock! I know to you pulling your sketch in frankenstein was a let down, but to me it would have been a real find...keep up the good work!

Posts: 177 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 03, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Ribeyespud
posted Hide Post
Just opened Disney Treasures:Celebrate Mickey 75 Years of Fun and got...a nice factory set of Mickey cards to read and look along with...drum roll please....a large card too (What did you think, that I pulled the 1/1 Disney autograph, silly people!) Roll Eyes

Posts: 177 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 03, 2006Report This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KADRAN00157:
Well apart from opening a box of cornflakes for breckfast Big Grin
My OTB was Sin City by Comic Images
Nothing spectacular Frown

KADRAN00157

??? What were you expecting ???

Posts: 1132 | Location: Cleveland Hts. , Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2003Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
Happy OTB day to all Big Grin

This is my first time for OTB day and I've had alot of fun with it Thumb Up Here's one of my box breaks,

Robots The Movie (Inkworks)

1 Base set (one card short for a second)
BL2
RR 6,7,8,9
FB 3,4
PC 1,6
Darren Auck Sketch 169/500 (here's the sketch from the Inkworks site)
http://inkworks.com/products/robots/robotsmovie/sketch/sk12/robotssk12-3.html

I was hoping for a Ratchet sketch but for the price I paid, I was quite pleased Big Grin

One more box to go guys.

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Well, it almost killed me, but I waited to open that box of SERENITY I won off of ebay last week. Here goes:

BL 2
WS 4,5
Renegades 1,3,4

Auto: JEWEL STAITE(one of the remaining two I needed) Clap
PW2 - Gina Torres

I'm thrilled and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Nice pulls, Jane!! Smile

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
As promised I busted, "The Very Best of The Saint."
A nice looking set that serves as a reminder why Roger Moore got the part of James Bond.

I pulled the following from my box:

1 complete 100 card base set
1 card short of a second complete set, #41

Foil Puzzle Cards: 1, 2, 6, and 7. Very colorful.

Saintly Merchandise: 4, 5, and 6.

My autograph was of a very young looking Julian Glover. I was quite pleased with it, as there weren't very many actors in this set I was familar with. I've seen Mr. Glover in a number of war movies, as well as several horror flicks.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jack London
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone, been awhile since I have posted but wanted to give a try to OTBD. I bought a box of the Vintage SciFi and Horror Posters a few weeks ago and got a nice selection of cards. Got the requisite puzzle cards and four of the Creature from the Black Lagoon cards. Got one base set and 5 cards short of a second set.

But I really bought the box for the sketch and the possibility of an autograph. I was not disappointed.

I got a neat Brian Kong sketch of the Day the Earth Stood Still as well as a cool autograph of Billy Gray from the same movie. I remember seeing Billy in Father Knows Best and was happy to get the autograph.

My gf and I both enjoy cards. We try to go to card shows as often as our budget allows. It is a lot of fun to open cards together and talk about them as we open them. We have been together for 6 years and though cards may seem like an unimportant thing overall, it is something that we enjoy together. Over the years we have bought each other many singles for our collections, and even made cards for each other (yes, we are geeks). I like Open That Box Day as it is something fun to look forward to with our loved ones and our friends. Look forward to next year!

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 1553 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 01, 2005Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My 12 year old daughter and I spent OTB day together opening and sorting like we did last year. She has been really looking forward to today and that feeling was intensified when she saw our report from last year published in the latest issue of NSU, she's had to show everyone the article! This year she chose boxes of Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed. She opened 2 boxes and ended up with 4 base sets, 2 of 3 box loaders, 4 of 6 Mystery Inc. foils, 6 of 9 Monster's Unleashed foils, Pieceworks cards PW7 and PW11, Auto cards A6 and A7 which are her first ever autograph cards and although she was excited by the autos, I think she likes the Pieceworks cards the best!

I picked up a box of Breygent's Vintage SciFi & Horror Posters and I must say I am very impressed. I really like this set. I ended up with 1 base set and 5 cards short of a 2nd, 3 of the Creature from the Black Lagoon chase cards, 1 each of the 3 different Puzzle Chase sets. I didn't get an autograph card but I did get a very nice sketch by Ray Dillon.

We had a fun time and are already looking forward to next year!

Greg and Nicole

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
Second box,

The Sopranos Season One (Inkworks)

2 Base sets w/ extras
BL none Frown
FM 1,2
BL 1,2
Aida Turturro Autograph Redemption

Was hoping for the Discala auto since that's
the last one I need, but it was a very good box overall
Thumb Up

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
I ended up opening 2 more boxes of the Frankenstein cards. In the second box I again got 2 sketches, Another mike Renzine and a Gabe Hernandez. In addition to the 2 sketches I also pulled a Cinema Filmcard CFC 7 #29/84. I also got the painted Frankenstein figure. I know the Clear and Glow In The Dark figures list for more but I think I like the painted ones the best.

In the third box I only got one sketch but it was a Mike Lilly which was one of the artists I was hoping for and.... a second Cinema Filmcard. It was CFC 1 #02/84. I can't believe how good my luck was on these. I'm starting to think I should open some more and see If I can pull a Boris Karloff Cut Signature.

Here are The totals for my 3 boxes.

Sketch Card - Chris Henderson
Sketch Card - Mike Renzine
Sketch Card - Gabe Hernandez
Sketch Card - Mike Renzine
Sketch Card - Mike Lilly

Cinema Filmcard - CFC 1 02/84
Cinema Filmcard - CFC 7 29/84

Frightful Figures - Glow In The Dark Bride Of Frankenstein
Frightful Figures - Painted Frankenstein
Frightful Figures - Clear Bride Of Frankenstein

Glow In The Dark 9 Card Chase Set
R1 (1)
R2 (2)
R3 (1)
R4 (1)
R5 (2)
R6 (2)
R7 (2)
R8 (1)
R9 (2)

When I have time I'll scan the sketch cards and filmcards and post them in the box breakdown.

Chris H

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Report This Post