Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

June/July 2018 Issue
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Why do Europeans drawn a small line/dash thru the middle of number 7? I don't know, I guess its the way they were taught. Big Grin

It's so it cannot be mistaked for a 1.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
It is the 6th May - why the USA do the date like that is beyond me.

May 6th, 2018 - 5-6-18

Why? I don't know, its the way I was taught.

Why do Europeans drawn a small line/dash thru the middle of number 7? I don't know, I guess its the way they were taught. Big Grin

I don't know about Europeans but we write 7 in England.

May 6th 2018 6/5/18

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Stopped by B&N yesterday and didn't see it on the stands Frown
But maybe this issue was so popular that it already sold out Confused

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I went to a B&N on Wednesday and found several copies - bought just one. I had checked last Friday or Saturday but it wasn't in yet.

Edit: my copy had the envelope with the promos inside

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Stopped by B&N yesterday and didn't see it on the stands Frown
But maybe this issue was so popular that it already sold out Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some Americans have also added a dash to the middle of the 7 but fewer do it these days (might have been a 1970's thing like when some people considered using the metric system). Some also write "6 May" to date their checks/documents but it seems to be people who were in the military.

quote:
quote:
quote:
It is the 6th May - why the USA do the date like that is beyond me.

May 6th, 2018 - 5-6-18

Why? I don't know, its the way I was taught.

I don't know about Europeans but we write 7 in England.

May 6th 2018 6/5/18

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
Harris-

The two copies I got at my shop today were also missing promos. The copy I bought had the top of the bag open as well but the 2nd copy was sealed.

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am off to Toronto next week so will have a look in the shops there. I know of at least two places that I saw the magazine last year.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Yesterday my daughter called and told me the Barnes and Noble she works at got in the new NSU. So today I stopped by - 6 issues, 5 were sealed, and looks like promos are in all of them. The 6th issue had a badly torn bag, shredded on bottom, but promos were still there. So I bought the torn bag issue, I was holding it upside down so promos wouldn't fall out and the bad tore anyway and they fell out. Cards are fine.
If anyone from Chicago area is near Crystal Lake, we have NSU with promos...

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Received my copy over 2 weeks ago. Completely sealed. NO PROMO CARDS. I wrote Beckett right away, and they replied saying "We'll forward your inquiry to the correct department." A week later, I followed up and they replied, "Thanks for your patience." Now, over two weeks later, I have yet to have ANY acknowledgement about this from anyone. No response. No explanation. No refund. I just bought the TP Promo on eBay. LOL. What a terrible experience. Bad enough that this happened, but WORSE how they simply do not care to even acknowledge their customers.

Posts: 12 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: April 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hello:

I have emailed you both about the missing promos, CordeliaChase_Fan and BrianB. Please check your inbox.

Thanks.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Non-Sports Hot List in the July 2018 Beckett Sports Card Monthly again has a couple of Marvel products in it, but the #1 spot shouldn’t be too much of a surprise given a certain Royal Wedding recently took place.

5) 2018 Black Panther, autos (prices vary)
4) 2018 Solo: A Star Wars Story, Denny's Foil ($30-$75)
3) 2018 Daredevil Seasons 1 & 2, autos (prices vary)
2) 2018 DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Seasons 1 & 2, autos (prices vary)
1) 2012 Fringe Seasons One and Two, auto A16, Meghan Markle ($450-$600)

Key Sales:
$1750 - 2008 Indiana Jones Heritage auto George Lucas
$1300 - 2018 Topps WWE auto dual mat relic Triple H

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Non-Sports Hot List in the July 2018 Beckett Sports Card Monthly . . .
Key Sales:
$1750 - 2008 Indiana Jones Heritage auto George Lucas

For some reason I thought that autograph card was trading much higher than that at one time. Then I just checked the latest Almanac and it says $500 - $1000, so I guess not or it came down a lot. I know the Ford and Spielberg were/are much higher.

Was this key sale of the Lucas autograph a graded card by any chance?

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was this key sale of the Lucas autograph a graded card by any chance?

It does not appear so on the picture and it is not noted in the description as being graded.
I just looked on the 'bay and found one was sold with a best offer on May 20th.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just looked on the 'bay and found one was sold with a best offer on May 20th.

Found out that the Best Offer was $1,500 for the 2008 Indiana Jones Heritage George Lucus auto.
Wonder how much were they before? Maybe there's higher prices in an older Almanac?

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the promos from this will be considered "short prints" by future collectors? Confused

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I went to my local comic store today and bought 2 copies of NSU, as I have been doing for 20 years

Neither issue had any cards in it

What do I do now ?

NOTE: Both were sealed and there were no holes in the bag

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I managed to get no promos without buying the magazine. Thumb Up Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

As a habit, I've been checking the magazine at the store to make sure the envelope is inside. Over the years, I've seen sealed magazines that have been torn open. With the issue NSU is having now, we're going to have to check before we buy. Personally, I like buying the magazine at a store whether Barnes & Noble or a comic/baseball card store even if it appears a couple of weeks after subscribers. I prefer to encourage stores to continue carrying it.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I went to my local comic store today and bought 2 copies of NSU, as I have been doing for 20 years

Neither issue had any cards in it

What do I do now ?

NOTE: Both were sealed and there were no holes in the bag

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I like to purchase the magazine at the stores, too. I do it in the hopes that the magazine will be seen by more people and, in some way, will help the collector base grow instead of decline by seeing its availability. My local comic shop received their shipment yesterday from Diamond. Seems kinda late, doesn't it? But the promo envelope was in it. Thanks Diamond, that probably makes it worth the wait for the collectors.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah I see your logic, but I'm wondering how Beckett looks at it, or any of the magazine publishers really. If you have a subscription, they have guaranteed circulation numbers. They have individual readers and the retail stores.

The stores may order 4 - 6 copies for each outlet. If they don't sell, they know it and cut back or cancel. If they do sell thru, they don't increase the order unless they have many inquiries. Chances are the early ones get it and later buyers just don't. So nobody knows how many could have sold because there are none left to sell. The assumption would be no one wants more and if the subscription numbers dip the magazine may be in trouble.

That's why I prefer to subscribe to NSU.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post