Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    PCE 2008, additions, deletions and corrections
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PCE 2008, additions, deletions and corrections
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cecil,

I read that someone wrote an article about the various U.S Customs sets and am trying to find a copy.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
N

NEW FOR 2017
Nickelodeon -(1991) 22 card set, issued in
"2 cards per pack" into CapriSun juice
multipacks. The card fronts are all green
borders, yellow banner around cartoon
characters name and orange as the
Nickelodeon border. The backs are printed
in black, with character info, the card
number "of 22". This card set covers
Rugrats and Eureekas Castle and probably
others. Here's all I have in front of me:

10 of 22 Batfly
17 of 22 Phil and Lil Deville

ADDITION TO 2017

NICKTOONS (1992) 22 stickers available
as a complete set in mail-in offer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cecil,

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Your listing for Nestles Ice Cream 1997 Lion King
Would be more accurate by changing the title to "Lion King's Timon and Pumbaa".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cecil,

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
S

Sally K. Ride (2007 - n.n.) Induction into the National Aviation Hall of Fame. Card sponsored by Rolls Royce. Back of card lists her credits, i.e. First female Astronaut in space. Also lists her training and the flights she was a part of.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

Your listing "Continuity Group" is actually titled "Endangered Species" which I listed with additional information.

Thanks for the additional card info on the Country Music lenticulars - difficult to find (cards and info).

Will we ever really be finished?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Finally completed the C's and made some changes to the A's and B's. At this pace I am on target for finishing in 2019. Late 2019.... Big Grin

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Addition. This one popped up on ebay a few months ago.

1995 Marvel Masterpieces Iceman (X-Men) canvas card. I don't have a saved scan, but i seem to recall it said "Promotional Sample Card" on the back, and it talked about the set

Art by Scanlan

I've never come across one before or since

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right. I haven't seen many of the Glow in the Dark Dinosaurs cards recently - maybe one or two as part of a random lot. I built that set at the time. The food wasn't the greatest.

Yes, I like the Endangered Species set too.

Jess

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Hi Promoking,

Your listing "Continuity Group" is actually titled "Endangered Species" which I listed with additional information.

Noted and removed. It is a beautiful set!

Also, you are correct. You listed under the G's a "Glow in the dark dinosaurs" set of 8. This listing is a duplicate as it is already mentioned in PCE under "Kid's Cuisine glow in the dark dinosaurs". These cards are extremely difficult to unearth. Pun intended...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cecil,

The Grateful Dead set is listed in PCE2008.

I haven't seen that Speed Racer set before.

You might want to build your own list in one post rather than doing it over lots of posts.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
New additions for 2017:

Grateful Dead Collectible Cards - 1992 Creative Card Congress- Sacramento, CA
Set of 3 cards- all marked prototype as a banner on the front
and as text on the back of the card. Marked 1 of 3, etc. on
the back. Photos on card 1 and 3 credited to R.A. Cabral- 1981.
Artwork on card 2 reprinted courtesy of Bill Graham Presents.

1 Playing in the Band- Guitar Trio
2 Classic Art- Warfield Theatre
3 Historic Venues- Greek Theatre 1981

---------------

Speed Racer Movie 2008 Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc.
Made by General Mills, Printed in the USA. Set of 4 motion cards inserted 1
per box of Cherrio's. Not numbered, just titled. The card fronts have the
Speed Racer logo and the name of 4 cars. The back of the 4 cards are
Puzzle backs that form a line drawing of the car with text on one card stating
SPEED RACER Only in Theaters!

SPEED RACER
SNAKE OILER
TAEJO TOGOKAHN
RACER X

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's getting complicated, looking at my list, Promoking's list, and yours as well as going back to PCE and the other additions in this thread before adding to my own list. A few times already, I've thought I found something new but it was in PCE under a different title, some cards not having a clear title.

I am making a list of additions and price updates but will wait until the end of the year to post it. I think I will post the update list and update the listing already up so everyone can see what I found this year instead of typing in "New for 2017" for the new ones in the compiled listing.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
May I suggest that we not add a price to the items listed in this thread. I think we can all agree that some common promos sell for silly prices(see some of the prices fetched in the last 3 months for Outlander promos) and some rare ones don't sell for near for what they should go for. So, since I did not address the price issue when I started the thread, feel free do so if you wish but I would rather not.
As a matter of fact, I had discussed this issue with Todd years ago and recommended a rarity scale such as: A=abundant(25 cents to $1.00); C=common($1.25 to $5.00); S=scarce($5.25 to $25.00); R= rare($25.25 to $100.00) and RR= very rare($100.25 to sky's the limit).

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

I have been including price updates for listing for cards I have bought or have seen sell. I thought collectors would want to know what cards are selling for today especially since the values of pre-2009 promos are underrepresented in the price guide that goes with the magazine. I have not listed prices for cards that I thought were too good of a deal (like a case card that I got for $2 - a card with a title and description not accurately expressing how uncommon it was) or something I might have been willing to pay more for because I like sharks or whatever. Although it that case, I'm thinking I should include it as the upper end of a range as long as the range doesn't look so wide as to not be useful (a range something like $10-60). I provide a price range when I see more than one of something sell.

As for a rarity scale, cards can be tough to rank and you're still trying to tie them to price ranges. If you're not using the current going-rate for a card and just pricing it by how common it is, then you're shoehorning the value artificially. If some cards that are rare don't go for much money and some common promos are selling for more than expected, we should reflect that in the listings because that is what's happening. If collectors see that Buffy the Vampire Slayer promos, for example, are selling for clearly less than they used to, that might get them to wake up and go after them while they are cheap and others are going to notice that they are selling. Values may rise again as a result.

I think if you're going to try to rank promos by rarity, you start with cards that sell for $2 or less. Anyone who collects promos has a feel for these "bargain box" cards because it seems like everyone has them. I think the next level is the card that goes for $3-5. These cards are not hard-to-find and are probably as common as many of the bargain box cards but they might be somewhat in-demand because they are "Star Wars" or "Spider-Man" though a super-popular franchise does not guarantee a higher value. The next level would be $5-10 cards. A lot of uncommon (but you can find them if you look for them) promos hover in this range.

After that, it gets a little complicated how to rank cards but I would say the next price bracket is something like $10-25 - where many oddballs like some cards serial-numbered out of 100 or rare convention issues especially any tied to a popular franchise or celebrity. The brackets would widen after that because fewer and fewer cards fit into them and they are seen being sold less often: $25-50, $50-100, $100-250, $250-500, and beyond that, those cards that are out there in the stratosphere. I think of the Collect-A-Card artist proof gold cards (10 or less made for each series) as cards in that category. I would have to think about it longer to come up with examples to fit each of my noted ranges. It might be tough for any combination of collectors to agree what's a little harder to get than another but I also think we wouldn't be too far apart on relative value. I guess that's what we're talking about in general - relative vs. absolute values (how one card ranks against another from a historical perspective vs. what it sold for recently compared to what that other card sold for recently).

This is certainly something to think about.

Jess

quote:
May I suggest that we not add a price to the items listed in this thread. I think we can all agree that some common promos sell for silly prices(see some of the prices fetched in the last 3 months for Outlander promos) and some rare ones don't sell for near for what they should go for. So, since I did not address the price issue when I started the thread, feel free do so if you wish but I would rather not.
As a matter of fact, I had discussed this issue with Todd years ago and recommended a rarity scale such as: A=abundant(25 cents to $1.00); C=common($1.25 to $5.00); S=scarce($5.25 to $25.00); R= rare($25.25 to $100.00) and RR= very rare($100.25 to sky's the limit).

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cecil,

That promo pack was given out at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con and the Philly show that fall. I found the info on the Allender site.

Last year, I added some of the promos of the 2008 releases from the major manufacturers but there appear to be other Twilight promos as well.

Jess

quote:
I have a question concerning these promos as I
Have a sealed cello pack of 4 cards labeled
1 of 4: Edward and Bella, 4 of 4 James. On the back of #4 has the San Diego Comic Con logo, under the logo says "Exclusive Collectible". Also has the "Summit Entertainment" logo. Also has
"TWILIGHT THEMOVIE.com" and 12-12-08.

Is this listed somewhere that I am missing?
Thanks in advance!

Twilight (2008) Inkworks 5 card set; photos
P-1; general distribution
P-i; available through the mail via the Inkworks website
P-MS; given out at the Memorabilia Show. UK
P-PS; given out at the Philly show
[/QUOTE]

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that update, Cecil. I hadn't heard of the Asterix album nor the two rare Simpsons cards.

Jess

quote:
Asterix Collection (1996). 16 card set. Promotes the comic book hero. Front has pictures of the characters. Back has info in French and English. Canadian issue. Inserted in VIAU products. No manufacturer.
There is also an uncut sheet of these cards which exists.

New Addition for 2017

There is a really nice album that was issued to
hold these cards.

Correction to updated post:

Simpsons, The (1998) Fox 30 card set. Inserted 1 per package in CC's foods.

There are 32 cards in this set. Cards 31 and 32 are marked "rare".

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That Playboy set would not have been included in PCE since it promotes an adult card set (i.e one with nude photos). Todd did allow cards that promoted sets/products with illustrated nudity.

Jess

quote:
New additions to 2017
========

Grossology (SegaSoft) n.d., n.n. Promotes game software and website.
http://www.GrossologyGames.com
8 (standard sized) card cello pack inserted in PC game box.

n.n. Scab factoid
n.n. Dandruff factoid
n.n. Earwax factoid
n.n. Snot factoid
n.n. Bad Breath factoid
n.n. Burp factoid
n.n. Saliva factoid
n.n. Zits factoid
=======

Disney Family - Nestle (3.75" x 7.5")
n.d. unknown qty. Not sure how they were distributed.
I have these:
1 - Pluto licking Mickey on his face.
3 - Minnie teasing Pluto with bone.
6 - Pluto drooling for pie on ledge.
11 - Daisy Wanting to vacuum. Donald passed out on couch.
12 - Scrooge counting gold, witch casting spell from window.
14 - Pluto @ birthday cake, Mickey with large bone.
n.n. 4 different perfed images of duck with large curl over forehead.
n.n. 4 different perfed images of Donald; with ball and bat, with birthday cake, car trouble, playing Sax.
[All numbered cards have postcard backs, unnumbered cards have Nestle Disney Family printed on back of the 3 perforated cards]
=======

Men In Black Data File set of 40.
(1997) n.n. (1.875" x 3") booklets open (3.75") revealing images and data from first movie. Extremely hard to collate since they all have "data" written with different images and text. Australian issue.
=======

Primates of the World (actual date unknown but mid-90's) cards were inserted into animal figure boxes. n.n. Blank gray backed.

n.n. Baboon Hamadryas
n.n. Rufous-Handed Howler
n.n. Ring-Tailed Lemur
n.n. Cotton-Headed Tamarin
n.n. Common Chimpanzee
n.n. Slender Loris
n.n. Diana Monkey
n.n. Orang-Utan
n.n. Potto
n.n. Snub-Nosed Monkey
n.n. Black Spider Monkey
n.n. De Brazza's Monkey
=======

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1998) n.n. Totino's Pizza. (Logo's on back of phone card.) One card per pizza.
n.n. 2 fingers touching w/sky
n.n. Bicycle ride/moon background
n.n. E.T. Profile w/ finger glowing
n.n. E.T. Profile behind opening door
=======

Estes Rockets n.n. No date 1 lenticular card measuring 4" x5" was attached (lightly glued) to the front box window. Card shows 3 guys watching the rocket ignite and lift off. Has the Estes logo on top above guys heads. Back Of card states "Produced by World Holographics, otherwise blank. Promotes the hobby of model rocketry.
=======

Katie Stam , Miss America 2009. Winners Drink Milk campaign sponsored by The American Dairy Association of Indiana. Katie's photo on front surrounded by milk products, back of card gives her personal stats such as her 4-H involvement, college, favorite ice cream.
=======

Dinosaur stickers n.n. n.d. Issued as panels of 2 stickers, 12 stickers total. Panels measure 1.375 x 2.25 and came 1 panel per package of Danimals Yogurt.
n.n. Tyrannosaurus / Pachycephhlosaurus
n.n. Triceratops / Centrosaurus
n.n. Apatosaurus / Deinonychus
n.n. Anatosaurus / Corythosaurus
n.n. Scelidosaurus / Compsognathus
n.n. Pteranodon / Dimorphodon
=======

Animaniacs stickers n.n. 1995 Warner Brothers. Sun-Maid Raisins 6 cello packages with 2 stickers each.
n.n. Dot/The Brain
n.n. Dot/Runt
n.n. Wakko/Pinky
n.n. Wakko/Dr. Scratchansniff
n.n. Yakko/Rita
n.n. Yakko/Slappy
=======

Walt Disney Classics - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs set of 8 lenticular cards, inserted one per package of Ready Brek (Weetabix) snacks. Cards measure 2.25" x 3.25" and are numbered "1 in a set of 8", etc.; promotes the release of the Snow White video. British release.
=======

Butt-Ugly Martians (2000 Just Ent. LTD, Mike Young LTD.) 1.75" x 2.75" cards from action figures. Qty unknown. Numbered. Card fronts are all the same, backs have name, picture and number.
#03 - Corporal Do-Wah
#04 - Commander B.BOP BKM
#05 - Tech Officer 2-T BKM
#12 - Emperor Bog
#15 - Dog
#16 - Mikey Ellis Extreme
#24 - Fleaboid
=======

Dinosaurs (1995) Grist Mill Fruit Snacks n.n. Cards on back of box. Qty. unknown, come 2 per box.

n.n. Apatosaurus, Tyrannosaurus
=======

Dinosaur Collector Cards (no date but was 1995) Golden Grain Macaroni and Cheese "Collect All 4" on box. n.n. One card printed per box.
n.n. Stegosaurus
n.n. Diplodocus
n.n. Tyrannosaurus Rex
=======

Playboy (1993) unopened pack. Front card has the Swedish Bikini Team. The last card says #6 Betty Page with the word promo printed over the text in light red text.
=======

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The chromium sets display only Playboy magazine covers which could be suggestive but not show clear nudity even now.

quote:
I don't see much difference in this set and the Chromium
Sets. But, that's cool, I'm ok with it being in my collection.

Concerning the other listings, have you heard of everything
Else in my listing? I was lucky back in the day to have a few
Really good traders in Australia, Canada and Amsterdam that took
really good care of me. I'm really having a great time rediscovering my collection.

quote:
That Playboy set would not have been included in PCE since it promotes an adult card set (i.e one with nude photos). Todd did allow cards that promoted sets/products with illustrated nudity

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Isn't that A1 Masters of the Grill part of a 28 card set ? Doing a search, that is what I have seen.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Looking back, it was 28 cards. I found the complete set in my football promo album and a few overlap singles in the non-sport album. Will now switch the 28 into my non-sport one and claim one more set completed! Dance

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that these are not in PCE:

Images of Shadowhawk (1994) variants on the regular 9 promos from Cards Illustrated; the variants have foil borders and come sealed in an 8 x 11 plastic holder/frame, with a seal of authenticity. Even though many were made (if one is to believe the numbering on the sticker/seal), I have only come across this set once.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've seen someone offer gold-bordered versions of the cards. I figured it must have been from a mailaway offer in the magazine or maybe one of their promotions (contest prize or gift to dealers for ordering a certain number of copies).

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I am pretty sure that these are not in PCE:

Images of Shadowhawk (1994) variants on the regular 9 promos from Cards Illustrated; the variants have foil borders and come sealed in an 8 x 11 plastic holder/frame, with a seal of authenticity. Even though many were made (if one is to believe the numbering on the sticker/seal), I have only come across this set once.