Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killer ants
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The giant cockroaches in "Damnation Alley" were added to keep the audience awake. Big Grin Now "Them" is the film you want to see, also "Tarantula." Strange how some of the black and white 50's Sy-Fi is still better than most of what we get now.

No big bugs, just big plants, but Howard Hawk's "The Thing from Another World" is a masterpiece I rewatch almost every year.
I think part of it is down to the low budgets. As they couldn't afford big, expensive special effects, they made an effort to produce interesting storylines. Usually predictable...but they always made you think. With a lot of modern stuff, I can't help thinking they have given next to no thought to the storyline and hoped that the visuals would carry everything along.

BTW, I agree with the recommendations for 'Them' and 'Tarantula'. As a Ray Harryhausen fan, I would also throw in '20 Million Miles to Earth' and 'The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms'. 'The original version of 'Mighty Joe Young' that he worked on uncredited is also pretty good. He was responsible for nearly all of the Mighty Joe animation work under the guidance of his mentor Willis O'Brien.

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As a kid, I was all into "Them" and "Tarantula" and don't forget "The Deadly Mantis." One of the local channels used to play monster movies on Saturday afternoons (the Chiller Diller Matinee) and Creature Features (local Channel 2) would play them Saturday nights.

As for killer plants, there was "Day of the Triffids" as well.

quote:
The giant cockroaches in "Damnation Alley" were added to keep the audience awake. Big Grin Now "Them" is the film you want to see, also "Tarantula." Strange how some of the black and white 50's Sy-Fi is still better than most of what we get now.

No big bugs, just big plants, but Howard Hawk's "The Thing from Another World" is a masterpiece I rewatch almost every year.

Posts: 4395 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Best ants movie ever......Phase IV.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that was an interesting one. I haven't seen it in years - probably sometime in the 80's. I didn't know it was released in theaters and even thought it was an American made-for-TV movie.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Best ants movie ever......Phase IV.

Posts: 4395 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
"Phase IV" is a deep-thinking Ant movie, or at least now it is. Most people only heard of it years after it came out in the 70's because somebody else saw it once. Not my cup of tea, as I am more into just blasting them up and not communicating with them.

I think "Aliens" may have borrowed from it a little with the hive part. Now "Aliens" was a great movie and the Alien Queen and her drones are most definitely killer bugs.

Posts: 10408 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The first time I saw "Phase IV" was when it was on TV around 1975. Yeah, I don't think I'd seen any talk about it online until maybe in the past 10-15 years. The kids are discovering odd cultural things about the 60's, 70's, and 80's - times outside their experience but more relatable than the decades before the 60's, people being more politically active, protesting elements of government and business.

quote:
"Phase IV" is a deep-thinking Ant movie, or at least now it is. Most people only heard of it years after it came out in the 70's because somebody else saw it once. Not my cup of tea, as I am more into just blasting them up and not communicating with them.

I think "Aliens" may have borrowed from it a little with the hive part. Now "Aliens" was a great movie and the Alien Queen and her drones are most definitely killer bugs.