Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Star Trek Original Series Archives And Inscriptions (Rittenhouse)

This topic can be found at:
http://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/4487064296

January 31, 2020, 05:56 AM
ravenheart
Star Trek Original Series Archives And Inscriptions (Rittenhouse)
Added to their home page, with an April 15th release date.
January 31, 2020, 11:48 AM
Raven
I don't get it. So much for my idea that Star Trek Inflexions might be the last big gasp for RA's original series star autographs. And to not even wait to the last quarter of the year when current demand for repeat signers has been lukewarm at best.

Does anyone know if their license is expiring?
January 31, 2020, 02:49 PM
WOMBLE
Maybe their original series sets are more popular than other series sets, it's been two years since their last TOS set.
January 31, 2020, 03:30 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
Maybe their original series sets are more popular than other series sets, it's been two years since their last TOS set.


The TOS Captain's Collection was released July 25, 2018. In that one there were 13 cards that were signed with inscriptions. All of those 13 repeat signers would fall in the supporting guest star category.

My guess now, since RA has stuck "And Inscriptions" in the title, is that we will finally get the main cast inscription cards and the leftover guest inscriptions held back from 2018, plus any new ones if there are any new ones. However since we had the Bridge cards in Inscriptions, we did just get most of the main cast again. So the supply for their autographs just increased with that as well.

I agree, I still like TOS more than any other Star Trek series and I hope that RA can at least include some of the more underused guest stars, if they are going back to the well. But in terms of the main cast signers, with or without inscriptions, the demand has been satisfied.

If you wanted any or all of their autographs, you have them. Now we are into saturation territory and that is good for collectors in terms of availability and bad for collectors if you are looking to hold or increase prices on what you already own. All depends on your position. Wink
February 12, 2020, 08:06 PM
Kryten67
Information is trickling in... New Signers... plus Cut Signature Cards of Angelique Pettyjohn (Shahna) & Arnold Moss (Anton Karidian, alter-ego of the tyrannical Gov. Kodos)





____________________
Today is a Good Day to Buy!
February 13, 2020, 03:20 AM
Scifi Cards
This should make collecting a base set interesting...

98 Card, Variable Inscription Base Set
Memorable quotes from 98 characters from Star Trek TOS. Loads of variations to collect! Where no base set has gone before!

They show 5 variations for Spock. Anyone want to start a contest for how big a "Complete" Base set is?

And a 44 card insert set, inserted at 1:12 packs. 22 boxes to complete that one.

This is going to be seriously difficult to completists.

But the autos and sketches look fantastic.

Ed

____________________
www.nonsportcardshows.com Home of the Chicago Non-Sport Card Show

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

February 13, 2020, 05:00 AM
WOMBLE
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
... Loads of variations to collect! Where no base set has gone before! ...


For good reason, it'll drive people nuts. Razz
February 13, 2020, 06:50 AM
ravenheart
Is it an inscription if it's printed? Confused
February 13, 2020, 08:16 AM
Kennywood
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
This should make collecting a base set interesting...

98 Card, Variable Inscription Base Set
Memorable quotes from 98 characters from Star Trek TOS. Loads of variations to collect! Where no base set has gone before!

They show 5 variations for Spock. Anyone want to start a contest for how big a "Complete" Base set is?

And a 44 card insert set, inserted at 1:12 packs. 22 boxes to complete that one.

This is going to be seriously difficult to completists.

But the autos and sketches look fantastic.

Ed


This sort of nonsense is why I stopped buying new product.

____________________
Lucy Van Pelt: How can you say someone is great who's never had his picture on bubblegum cards?
February 13, 2020, 11:13 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Is it an inscription if it's printed? Confused


I was looking at those varying base cards and they are printed into the cards, so NO. Those are quotes, not inscriptions. The only inscriptions are the ones that signers are adding to their autograph cards and those seem to be "scripted" inscriptions suggested by RA.

I'm sure the base cards are going to frustrate people, but at the same time RA has to try something new when the title is so well worn. so what can you say? I dislike the cuts for actors that, no disrespect to them, are unimportant to the series.
February 13, 2020, 12:07 PM
ravenheart
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I was looking at those varying base cards and they are printed into the cards, so NO. Those are quotes, not inscriptions.


Don't tell me, tell them Big Grin
March 21, 2020, 03:39 AM
Scifi Cards
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I'm sure the base cards are going to frustrate people, but at the same time RA has to try something new when the title is so well worn. so what can you say?


The bare-bones checklist was posted today on the RA website.

I'll leave this here without further comment (you do the maths):
quote:
98 Base Cards (10-30 Variations in Quote per card)


____________________
www.nonsportcardshows.com Home of the Chicago Non-Sport Card Show

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

March 21, 2020, 10:03 AM
Raven
We live in a world of extremes. It's all or nothing, with nothing in between.

Interested Star Trek collectors will make a base set out of whatever version of a base card they get. That would be sensible. The multiple base quotes will not increase demand one iota because who would attempt to get them all? Perhaps on one character? Maybe that's possible if an individual was so inclined.

My only interest would be in the autographs, if anything, and I have bigger things to worry about now. Big Grin
April 04, 2020, 07:46 PM
Curler
The checklist on Rittenhouse's website states "98 base cards (Up to 36 variations/quotes per character/base card)." That's a lot of variations on base cards. Frown
April 05, 2020, 04:30 AM
Scifi Cards
quote:
Originally posted by Curler:
The checklist on Rittenhouse's website states "98 base cards (Up to 36 variations/quotes per character/base card)." That's a lot of variations on base cards. Frown


I've heard that it will be at least 2000 cards for a "complete" base set. Won't that be something to collect?

Ed

____________________
www.nonsportcardshows.com Home of the Chicago Non-Sport Card Show

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

April 05, 2020, 06:55 AM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

I've heard that it will be at least 2000 cards for a "complete" base set. Won't that be something to collect?

Ed



er, no! Big Grin

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
April 05, 2020, 12:46 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

I've heard that it will be at least 2000 cards for a "complete" base set. Won't that be something to collect?

Ed



er, no! Big Grin


Not only that, if someone did put together the 2000 card base set, what would it actually be worth?

Collectibles are a strange market. Things can be rare. Things can be priceless. But being priceless can smooth out to $50, if you can even find a buyer. Priceless can also mean worthless, but you find that out a lot later. Big Grin

It is also easier to move a small collection than a large collection because larger collections have a plethora of average and filler cards that no one wants to pay for. So the more complete or bigger your collection is the more cards you will be throwing in for free, should you be foolish enough to think that even those few people that may appreciate it are willing to pay for it. Only the best hits can claim some demand and hope of sustained value.

Card makers can play with the base set as much as they want. It has already been amply demonstrated that short printed or ultra premium base sets elevate the price only so far and then it loses all demand. Same thing goes for parallel sets. Worse yet, if you play around too much, collectors will just be turned off and won't go into a product at all.
April 05, 2020, 04:33 PM
catskilleagle
Right, the average Star Trek card collector is going to be happy with one of each base card number and maybe a couple of the variations of their favorites. It's going to cost more money to build that ultimate master set than it's going to be worth when its done. Of course, some collectors don't care because running that marathon is going to be fun for them and you can't put a price on that especially these days. Two competitive friends are going to go for it and see who finishes first.

I'm not really into parallels. The parallel refractor set for Star Wars Finest was fun because there was just that one level and the refractors looked great. I like the Topps 75th refractors too and I will finish that set over time. I'm not into the minor accent differences in some parallels of increasing rarity. I keep thinking the company could've done some extra sketches or random box toppers with the same money it cost for printing that extra level few are going to chase.

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

I've heard that it will be at least 2000 cards for a "complete" base set. Won't that be something to collect?

Ed



er, no! Big Grin


Not only that, if someone did put together the 2000 card base set, what would it actually be worth?

Collectibles are a strange market. Things can be rare. Things can be priceless. But being priceless can smooth out to $50, if you can even find a buyer. Priceless can also mean worthless, but you find that out a lot later. Big Grin

It is also easier to move a small collection than a large collection because larger collections have a plethora of average and filler cards that no one wants to pay for. So the more complete or bigger your collection is the more cards you will be throwing in for free, should you be foolish enough to think that even those few people that may appreciate it are willing to pay for it. Only the best hits can claim some demand and hope of sustained value.

Card makers can play with the base set as much as they want. It has already been amply demonstrated that short printed or ultra premium base sets elevate the price only so far and then it loses all demand. Same thing goes for parallel sets. Worse yet, if you play around too much, collectors will just be turned off and won't go into a product at all.

April 05, 2020, 09:57 PM
webjon
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
I've heard that it will be at least 2000 cards for a "complete" base set. Won't that be something to collect?

Ed


Cool! I think it's good to have options.
April 06, 2020, 06:46 AM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Priceless can also mean worthless, but you find that out a lot later. Big Grin




That is certainly true. Looking at completed auctions for most base and chase from sets done years ago will tell you that.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.