Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Uncut sheets
 Login/Join
 
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
I have often watched uncut sheets go by on the 'bay but have never been tempted. What do you actually DO with them? I mean displaying them must be a nightmare! Framing them for display requires a house the size of an aircraft hanger.

For some of the rarer sets (that I need and don't have) there is a temptation to buy an uncut sheet and get a good printer to guillotine them into a set (or does the very thought of that bring tears to your eyes?)

____________________
My dog is a RotweillerXLabrador. He'll bite your leg off but he'll always bring it back to you.
 
Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I only have a few of them. A couple from the Supernatural set and 1 from Buffy. I framed the Buffy one and the Supernatural one's are in the binder.

I think the rarer sets would be cheaper to buy than the rare uncut version. I remember the Supernatural seasonn 1 uncut sheet was selling for over $150, but the 9 card set was a lot cheaper than that to put together.
 
Posts: 1228 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
I have often watched uncut sheets go by on the 'bay but have never been tempted. What do you actually DO with them? I mean displaying them must be a nightmare! Framing them for display requires a house the size of an aircraft hanger.

For some of the rarer sets (that I need and don't have) there is a temptation to buy an uncut sheet and get a good printer to guillotine them into a set (or does the very thought of that bring tears to your eyes?)


Are you talking about the Inkworks 9 card uncut sheets or the huge base set uncut sheets?
I don't have any of the base uncut sheets (way to big to store anywhere for me).
I do have most of the 9 card uncut sheets Inkworks did for the sets I'm collecting, I'm still trying to track down a Firefly sheet but haven't had any luck yet finding that one unfortunately. My favourite one though is the Buffy season 6 'Once More with Feeling' uncut sheet, I love it so much I have it framed and hanging on my wall. Smile
 
Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Base cut sheets, geez no way would I be able to put one of those up, that's probably what the OP meant lol.
 
Posts: 1228 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Kiss uncut sheet of base cards for $4 at a thrift shop and hung it up with thumbtacks on my sons wall. He loves it.
 
Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I have several uncut base sets. Because they are such a pain, they have always been fairly cheap (<$20). However, framing is expensive (>$100). I had several hanging on the wall at my previous house but we don't really have the wall space here. The small (9 card etc) are often really nice because they tend to be puzzles.
 
Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I have the 4400, lost and Roswell uncut 9 card hanging in my "office space" at home. Really nice Smile
 
Posts: 12178 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
I used to think the #/Limited uncut sheets where pointless but started to buy them when I see them going for cheap because some are coming up less and less on the bay. Confused

For the Uncut Mini Press 9 card Sheets I put them in with the binder kept in the original envelope.

I missed out on buying uncut BASE SETS (72 cards/set) of a few Charmed Releases inc. Season 1, Destiny and Conversations. They were too expensive at the time AND I still have NO idea how/where I would store them.

The seller had said it would be shipped folded/rolled (Like a poster) but that it should be unwrapped immediatly upon arrival and laid out flat for a while to minimise any warping.

After that I don't know what you'd do with it - Except find a huge photoframe and a lot of wall space Eek
 
Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
For some of the rarer sets (that I need and don't have) there is a temptation to buy an uncut sheet and get a good printer to guillotine them into a set (or does the very thought of that bring tears to your eyes?)


I've heard of that being done with sportscards many years ago, nothing recent and not with non-sport sets. Don't know how much someone might gain with the cards over the cost of the sheet and cutting. A sharp eye might be able to tell the difference, paper type, cut, whatever.

Probably not a practical solution, but it doesn't offend me. You buy it, you can do what you want with it, so long as its not misrepresented to someone else later on. Wink
 
Posts: 10525 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:

The seller had said it would be shipped folded/rolled (Like a poster) but that it should be unwrapped immediatly upon arrival and laid out flat for a while to minimise any warping.


It's especially a problem with those triangle shaped Priority mail tubes. Unless they put them in something to keep the sheets from expanding you end up with triangle shaped sheets.
 
Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
For some of the rarer sets (that I need and don't have) there is a temptation to buy an uncut sheet and get a good printer to guillotine them into a set (or does the very thought of that bring tears to your eyes?)


I've heard of that being done with sportscards many years ago, nothing recent and not with non-sport sets. Don't know how much someone might gain with the cards over the cost of the sheet and cutting. A sharp eye might be able to tell the difference, paper type, cut, whatever.

I've bought a lot of blank front misprints over the last few years, mostly sports cards, and many of them appear to have been cut down from sheets after release.
 
Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chrisahend:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I've heard of that being done with sportscards many years ago, nothing recent and not with non-sport sets. Don't know how much someone might gain with the cards over the cost of the sheet and cutting. A sharp eye might be able to tell the difference, paper type, cut, whatever.

I've bought a lot of blank front misprints over the last few years, mostly sports cards, and many of them appear to have been cut down from sheets after release.


I think that is something of a different nature. Years ago cards were produced with old fashioned printing presses and printing plates and there were a lot of errors in the process. Some of these errors, like blank backs or fronts, or missing colors, or missing names, got accepted in the hobby as variants and were assigned their own prices.

Now honestly I never understood the logic of this, because clearly these were damaged cards with improper quality control, that somehow got released. If anything they should have been sold at a discount and not afforded the premiums that many had.

But there were collectors who wanted blank front or blank back cards. If you bought blank front cards because you were told they were misprints, and then found out that they were from a cut up sheet, I would call that a misrepresentation (or even a fraud if you paid a lot) because they are not the true misprints that came out of the printing process missing the other side.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
 
Posts: 10525 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A few ramblings.

UltraPro actually makes a hard plastic sleeve of that size. Still makes it hard to mail.

Error cards are for the true fanatics who aren't satisfied with master sets. Big Grin

The full-set (or half-set) uncut sheets are collecting oddballs. Most people don't have the space or location to show them off. I have a few, but they're in a closet. (It's hard to view the backs of the cards together with the fronts, and I'm a card-text junkie too.) The size just doesn't fit into how I "enjoy" my cards.

Except for the true fans of a media release, I think uncut sheets might be most useful as subject-matter attractions for businesses: the Corvette set or another auto series for a car dealership; a focused sports set for a sports bar or better a golf or bowling set for a course or alley; etc. I once told the hotel at Tobay Beach that they should think about framing subset sheets or card arrangements from the Marilyn set for their lobby or guest rooms.
.
 
Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Chrisahend:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I've heard of that being done with sportscards many years ago, nothing recent and not with non-sport sets. Don't know how much someone might gain with the cards over the cost of the sheet and cutting. A sharp eye might be able to tell the difference, paper type, cut, whatever.

I've bought a lot of blank front misprints over the last few years, mostly sports cards, and many of them appear to have been cut down from sheets after release.


I think that is something of a different nature. Years ago cards were produced with old fashioned printing presses and printing plates and there were a lot of errors in the process. Some of these errors, like blank backs or fronts, or missing colors, or missing names, got accepted in the hobby as variants and were assigned their own prices.

Now honestly I never understood the logic of this, because clearly these were damaged cards with improper quality control, that somehow got released. If anything they should have been sold at a discount and not afforded the premiums that many had.

But there were collectors who wanted blank front or blank back cards. If you bought blank front cards because you were told they were misprints, and then found out that they were from a cut up sheet, I would call that a misrepresentation (or even a fraud if you paid a lot) because they are not the true misprints that came out of the printing process missing the other side.


I have a specific use for them so it doesn't really matter to me where they came from. Unless it's an already in demand card like the Frank Thomas Rookie, misprints don't usually have the same demand as error cards and I usually can get them very cheap.
 
Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of the Inkworks 9 card variety that they did. They're all stored in an Itoya portfolio binder that was the perfect size. The sheets were JUST a touch too big to fit in their respective binders and not have to worry about damage to me.

Full set uncut sheets, the big monsters, I have 1. A Star Wars Decipherb CCG uncut Endor foil sheet. It was an impulse buy at an SDCC 1 year for $10 when Decipher lost the SW license. Sadly, it's still rolled up so I don't even know if it's still framable when I finally get to it.

____________________
Shiny! Faerie Metal & Photography - Specializing in Custom Metal Printing!
https://www.facebook.com/faeriephotos
www.faeriemetal.com
 
Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
I have a few sheets framed. I rotate them out as they take up too much wall space in my man cave.

Sometimes posters sometimes uncut sheets where Yoda is in the picture.


____________________
Dazed and Confused
 
Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
I cut up a strip of Star Wars Stickers to fit inside a double sided frame


____________________
Dazed and Confused
 
Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
Got a Buy one get one for a penny deal on frames for my Wacky Packages Old School 3 Posters
These are not uncut sheets but are the same size!


____________________
Dazed and Confused
 
Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Wow! Thanks for sharing - Always wondered how large the full base uncut sheets were in the context of an actual frame. When these come up for sale (unframed) and depending on the photo size it's difficult to judge. Nice collection Thumb Up
 
Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
I have an uncut sheet of Wacky Packages Series 1 (Reprint set from 1979) that is 28 1/2" wide by 43" tall. They take up a lot of wall space.

____________________
Dazed and Confused
 
Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 


© Non-Sport Update 2013