Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Printing Plates - Scan or no?

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/7897095806

August 19, 2011, 06:05 PM
CardGoddess
Printing Plates - Scan or no?
A graphic designer saw one of my printing plates from the "Avengers: Kree-Skrull War" release and commented that they shouldn't be scanned. I had never heard of this and have scanned printing plates before. Has anyone heard of this? Should I not scan my printing plates? Any help would be appreciated.

- Sherrie Wavey
August 19, 2011, 06:21 PM
Batman
I have scanned plenty of printing plates, never had a problem.

August 19, 2011, 06:31 PM
Miss Lizzy
Did he say why you shouldn't scan them?? Confused

August 19, 2011, 07:37 PM
H_Toser
Maybe the thought is it would make it easier to counterfeit a card (you'd need all four though)? I'm just thinking out loud though. It would be unlikely that you would upload a print-ready scan to the web though, so that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I don't know. Interesting question.

August 20, 2011, 09:18 PM
beamer
I spoke to a friend who is in the printing business and she told me the intense light can bleed out the image on the plate, depending on the inks that are used.
August 21, 2011, 07:51 PM
Packrat
I've scanned tons of plates before and never had a problem.

Jason
August 21, 2011, 08:40 PM
Gregore
Being an printer way back when, I can say that most printing plates are light sensitive. However, if the plate has been exposed and finished properly it should not be a big problem. The big concern would be the plate going blank or losing all detail as it ages. Plates properly handled will hold an image and can be printed with for years. Only time will tell.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gregore,
August 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
CardGoddess
Thank you all for your replies. As I said, I've scanned them before with no problem, so I'll keep on scanning. Elephant
August 22, 2011, 06:50 PM
cardaddict
Does this mean that ALL printing plates will eventually fade away even when exposed to normal lighting? I only have a couple but I don't want them to dissapear!