Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vela sketch cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
There are a lot of sketch cards on ebay from Edward Vela. Since they are in editions of as many as up to x/50, I presume that they are not in fact sketches, but are printed cards. Is this right?

Are they the result of some sort of hand created are (painting, pastel chalk, drawing, etc.)? Or are they photographs that have been run through a photoshop filter of some sort?

Posts: 2212 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You'd have to contact the seller to confirm but I understand each 50-card limited edition to be 50 prints of a sketch. There was a brief discussion of the Vela cards on Card Talk but we didn't really get into it.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....697012796#4697012796

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
There are a lot of sketch cards on ebay from Edward Vela. Since they are in editions of as many as up to x/50, I presume that they are not in fact sketches, but are printed cards. Is this right?

Are they the result of some sort of hand created are (painting, pastel chalk, drawing, etc.)? Or are they photographs that have been run through a photoshop filter of some sort?

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
They get away with this by using the term ACEO Sketches.

A Art
C Cards
E Editions &
O Originals

These are editions, or prints of sketches. Whether the seller (artist) is using the vague descriptions because they assume everyone knows ACEO can be a print, or if they mean to deceive, is anyone's guess.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
They get away with this by using the term ACEO Sketches.

A Art
C Cards
E Editions &
O Originals

These are editions, or prints of sketches. Whether the seller (artist) is using the vague descriptions because they assume everyone knows ACEO can be a print, or if they mean to deceive, is anyone's guess.

Ed

well i would have thought....

Sketch meant sketch from an official release.
ACEO means sketch from a private artist but not part of an official release.

A print of a sketch should clearly be called a print. I would have thought if you buy a sketch and it turns out to be a print you could claim a refund for not as described.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Vela has been selling his limited edition giclee prints on eBay for years and I would imagine has done very well with them. He certainly has the sales numbers. The description does not deceive, unless you don't understand that a giclee print is a type of inkjet that produces a type of printed copy. It is on good paper, has a sheen and a slight smell. All of his work is limited to 50 copies, and he assures will not be reprinted after that. He autographs the back of almost all of them. The subjects range from sports figures, to celebrities, to animals, to plain objects, and to a host of unclad ladies that I assume to be his revolving pool of models.

Now these prints carry no licensing and seem to be done as artwork. I have no idea if Vela has the full-size art for them or if they are created in other ways. Some bear a resemblance to hand drawn sketches; others are more like photos. Most of the likenesses to known celebrities and sports stars are really good, some are occasionally off. I don't know how much of this falls under the laws of art and/or how much may be threading licensing issues. I don't know how any subjects are paid, or if they are paid. I am making no judgements, I'm just telling you what they are and what they not to the best of my knowledge.

I do not consider them collectibles because they are not likely to have any future investment value, even though individual prints are limited. They are not and will never be in price guides. They are worth whatever someone is willing to pay at the time and most sell for under $10. Some buyers do bid up the lower numbers and #1 in any edition generally goes for more. I get the feeling that these may be card collectors applying collector logic, but it's unnecessary to a product like this. If you like it, any number will do.

So that's the thing here. They are not hand drawn sketches. They are not ACEOs. They have no licenses. They are signed by the artist, who created them in some fashion and put out giclee prints. They are generally inexpensive, and he sells a lot, often repeating the same subjects in different poses. Some of the prints look very nice indeed. It is never going to be an heirloom card collection. If that doesn't bother you, and you like his product, he has been on eBay long enough to have a following. It's up to the buyers.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post