Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Identi-Card Thread
 Login/Join
 
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
[/URL]

I bought both of these card types as a job lot but have otherwise no idea about their manufacture, The top three have blank backs and are listed as Series 5 as a Coca Cola set. They measure 2.48"X4.1"

The second scan shows a Walt Disney set from 1980. I believe that this could be an enormous set as I have nearly 80 cards and the text on the back seems to indicate that there are 25 cards to each subject matter with at least 10 categories (i.e 250 cards) Theses cards are close to postcard size at 6.8"X4.1"

Has anyone got anyone got any better info about either of these card sets?

____________________
My dog is a RotweillerXLabrador. He'll bite your leg off but he'll always bring it back to you.
 
Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
i was going through my collection and came upon this set and can't find the correct name of it. the two names all over it are Street Chopper and Hot Bike, which are/were magazines in the 70's. there's a lot of pictures and articles about them. just do a search for 'motorcycle trading cards 1970's'. there's no date or manufacturer name on the backs, just 'collect all 66 cards'.

a few examples:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/...ss_Hot_Bike_card.jpg

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/...ke-Chopper-Cards.jpg
 
Posts: 5 | Location: Philly | Registered: November 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord HowitHurtz:
i was going through my collection and came upon this set and can't find the correct name of it. the two names all over it are Street Chopper and Hot Bike, which are/were magazines in the 70's. there's a lot of pictures and articles about them. just do a search for 'motorcycle trading cards 1970's'. there's no date or manufacturer name on the backs, just 'collect all 66 cards'.

a few examples:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/...ss_Hot_Bike_card.jpg

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/...ke-Chopper-Cards.jpg



They are from the 1970's produced by Street Chopper Magazine and TRM Publications.

They released a set of trading cards that featured mostly Choppers and other Customs in a collection of 66 cards.

Here is a link showing them...

Ad for the cards...

____________________
"When you are out numbered and the situation is hopeless, you have no option... You Must Attack!"
 
Posts: 1594 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord HowitHurtz:
i was going through my collection and came upon this set and can't find the correct name of it. the two names all over it are Street Chopper and Hot Bike, which are/were magazines in the 70's. there's a lot of pictures and articles about them. just do a search for 'motorcycle trading cards 1970's'. there's no date or manufacturer name on the backs, just 'collect all 66 cards'.

a few examples:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/...ss_Hot_Bike_card.jpg

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/...ke-Chopper-Cards.jpg



They are from the 1970's produced by Street Chopper Magazine and TRM Publications.

They released a set of trading cards that featured mostly Choppers and other Customs in a collection of 66 cards.

Here is a link showing them...

Ad for the cards...


thanks a lot!!
is it listed on jeff allender's page? i searched there before posting here.
if not when i get a chance i'll send him an email with information about the cards.
 
Posts: 5 | Location: Philly | Registered: November 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord HowitHurtz:
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord HowitHurtz:
i was going through my collection and came upon this set and can't find the correct name of it. the two names all over it are Street Chopper and Hot Bike, which are/were magazines in the 70's. there's a lot of pictures and articles about them. just do a search for 'motorcycle trading cards 1970's'. there's no date or manufacturer name on the backs, just 'collect all 66 cards'.

a few examples:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/...ss_Hot_Bike_card.jpg

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/...ke-Chopper-Cards.jpg



They are from the 1970's produced by Street Chopper Magazine and TRM Publications.

They released a set of trading cards that featured mostly Choppers and other Customs in a collection of 66 cards.

Here is a link showing them...

Ad for the cards...


thanks a lot!!
is it listed on jeff allender's page? i searched there before posting here.
if not when i get a chance i'll send him an email with information about the cards.


No problem...

I do not know if it is listed on Jeff's page...

I believe that link I included from

www.motorparade.nl

shows all of the cards and the wrapper it came in...

____________________
"When you are out numbered and the situation is hopeless, you have no option... You Must Attack!"
 
Posts: 1594 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
[/URL]

I bought both of these card types as a job lot but have otherwise no idea about their manufacture, The top three have blank backs and are listed as Series 5 as a Coca Cola set. They measure 2.48"X4.1"

The second scan shows a Walt Disney set from 1980.

I'm giving up (temporarily) on the second set. But the first is Series V of Coke's World of Nature. The link there to Billy Cole's website has scans for Series I through VIII.
 
Posts: 2423 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
They are from the 1970's produced by Street Chopper Magazine and TRM Publications.

They released a set of trading cards that featured mostly Choppers and other Customs in a collection of 66 cards.


As it turns out, Street Chopper and TRM provided much of the information, but the "Choppers & Hot Bikes" set was issued by Donruss in 1972 and then by Scanlens in 1974.

This is a pretty tough set. List is coming from about a half dozen sources; most of the card fronts are in links above and titles are in the Benjamin guide, but with so many duplicate titles I felt compelled to quote from the card backs, and found about 2/3 of these.
 
Posts: 2423 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeff, informative as ever. I may be able to supply more data on Scanlen's Choppers & Hot Bikes. Back to you shortly on this.

____________________
My dog is a RotweillerXLabrador. He'll bite your leg off but he'll always bring it back to you.
 
Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
They are from the 1970's produced by Street Chopper Magazine and TRM Publications.

They released a set of trading cards that featured mostly Choppers and other Customs in a collection of 66 cards.


As it turns out, Street Chopper and TRM provided much of the information, but the "Choppers & Hot Bikes" set was issued by Donruss in 1972 and then by Scanlens in 1974.

This is a pretty tough set. List is coming from about a half dozen sources; most of the card fronts are in links above and titles are in the Benjamin guide, but with so many duplicate titles I felt compelled to quote from the card backs, and found about 2/3 of these.


On the link I previously posted it states...

1972 - Choppers and Hot bikes - Donruss

It even shows the retail packaging it came in...

Here is the link again:

Chopper Cards

____________________
"When you are out numbered and the situation is hopeless, you have no option... You Must Attack!"
 
Posts: 1594 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You're right, of course. At first I was distracted by the "produced by" ... Smile
 
Posts: 2423 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
You're right, of course. At first I was distracted by the "produced by" ... Smile


I got ya... no big deal. Smile

I believe the photos were from TRM Publications...

____________________
"When you are out numbered and the situation is hopeless, you have no option... You Must Attack!"
 
Posts: 1594 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post



New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
They are from the 1970's produced by Street Chopper Magazine and TRM Publications.

They released a set of trading cards that featured mostly Choppers and other Customs in a collection of 66 cards.


As it turns out, Street Chopper and TRM provided much of the information, but the "Choppers & Hot Bikes" set was issued by Donruss in 1972 and then by Scanlens in 1974.

This is a pretty tough set. List is coming from about a half dozen sources; most of the card fronts are in links above and titles are in the Benjamin guide, but with so many duplicate titles I felt compelled to quote from the card backs, and found about 2/3 of these.


is there any difference between the donruss/scanlens sets? looking at my almost complete set there is no way to identify who printed these.

also, i just noticed in nsu's take along price guide they have the release date of this set listed as 197?.
 
Posts: 5 | Location: Philly | Registered: November 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
The scan belowhas been copied from The Australian & Nerw Zealand Index Part I (1983) and from Part II (1993)
I'm not sure if you find this helpful to the discussion or merely muddies the water but it is the most authoritative source for Australasian card issues.



Sorry if it's a bit small to read but it's probably just legible enough.

____________________
My dog is a RotweillerXLabrador. He'll bite your leg off but he'll always bring it back to you.
 
Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very helpful to the discussion. My naming 1972 as the Donruss date was based mostly on auctions and the fact it was before the "known" Scanlens date.

The key for distinguishing will (often) be that the Scanlens cards have a logo on the front for what the guide calls "Twins", two faces in a white circle.

From the scattering of cards listed on eBay, some of those card backs have that logo and also a box promoting Scanlens special offers through Revs Motor Cycle News. Some have the Scanlens marking but no Twins logo. Some don't have any distinguishing features on backs (9, 44, 50, 53). Two auctions (50, 53) claim to be Scanlens but don't have the Twins logo on card fronts, but they're from a different seller and it could be a mistake because the other seller shows those two cards with the logo on front. I guess it's time to spread the research farther and find out whether some of the Scanlens-issued cards were identical to the Donruss, or if 100% of them had the logo on the fronts.
 
Posts: 2423 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
OK Buffy Fans.... Character?



I know the artist are the Glebe Brothers, but I'm not familiar with all the Big Bads from the Buffyverse.

Ed

____________________
www.nonsportcardshows.com Home of the Chicago Non-Sport Card Show

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

 
Posts: 4801 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
I know the artist are the Glebe Brothers, but I'm not familiar with all the Big Bads from the Buffyverse.

Ed


Oh oh I know this one! Smile
The Der Kindestod from S02E13 "Killed by Death"
Buffy goes into hospital after getting really sick and the kids there are dying mysteriously.

Really great sketch by the way Ed!
 
Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah he was one of the creepier one-episode-only villains, a child killer. Whedon designed him to resemble Freddy Krueger. It's a cool card. Thumb Up

This is the first sketch scan from this product that I've seen. I'll bet there are sketches of the The Gentlemen and the Uber Vampire floating around somewhere too.
 
Posts: 8463 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Yeah he was one of the creepier one-episode-only villains, a child killer. Whedon designed him to resemble Freddy Krueger. It's a cool card. Thumb Up

This is the first sketch scan from this product that I've seen. I'll bet there are sketches of the The Gentlemen and the Uber Vampire floating around somewhere too.

Yes he is definitely one of the more memorable for me, he was so creepy. That's why I remembered his name.

Not the first sketch I've seen, there's one on fee bay by Tim Shay of Spike. I wish I could grab it... too much for me.
I imagine that will be a low price for these sketches, especially since it is of a main cast member of the show.

And Raven when you say Uber Vampire, do you mean the Master from season 1? as I don't remember any vampires called the uber vampire, but I could be wrong.
 
Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No, not The Master. He was the initial kind of Dracula in the first season. There were a few Uber Vampires throughout the series. They were a race that was just supposed to be very old and stronger than the regular vamps. Their makeup was done along the lines of that silent vampire movie, Nosferatu.

The first Uber Vampire that they introduced had the whole episode and nearly killed Buffy. I forget which season that was without looking it up, but it had to be early on. After that they showed up again and I think they were around in the last seasons, but it was not a single character like the first time.

I guess Whedon liked to use German words for some of his demons. Both Uber and Kinder come from the German.

Just looked it up quick, seems to have been in the later seasons after all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
 
Posts: 8463 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Oh I think I know which ones you're talking about,
are they the ones that came up out of the Hellmouth in Season 7?
 
Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 
 


© Non-Sport Update 2013