Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Vintage Sets

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/5837047966

March 21, 2014, 11:28 AM
PEZman
Vintage Sets
Last night while I was trolling Ebay I bid and won a Zorro card from 1958 for .99 cents. I was wondering who out there collects vintage (pre-1970) and what do you collect? Do you have any complete sets? What are you working on?
March 21, 2014, 12:31 PM
Don Norton
I have a few sets from this period. Combat 1 and 2, Fighting Marines, TV Westerns, Red Menace, Davy Crockett, Battle, Civil War News, Power for Peace and a couple of others.
I only finished a couple of these sets by myself, I had a lot of help from a friend who collects just the cards of his youth.
It's hard to find old cards around here now. Still working on World on Wheels, and Davy Crockett Green, but need the hard ones from them.
March 21, 2014, 02:37 PM
Don Norton
Nope Kevin - got all those.
March 22, 2014, 10:55 PM
btlfannz
quote:
I was wondering who out there collects vintage (pre-1970) and what do you collect? Do you have any complete sets? What are you working on?

Although my collecting period is 1975 to 2000 I have managed to acquire a number of sets pre that period. I have never bought individual cards to make a set though, preferring to spend a bit more and get the whole set in one go. I believe that it much cheaper that way and a damn sight less hassle.

April 03, 2014, 04:13 PM
TC00
I collect the vintage Penny/Cigarette/Gum cards.

I specifically the Classic Hollywood stars - there's a great variety globally the only down side is the expense can be quite extravigant depending up condition.

Still a great challenge.
April 05, 2014, 09:09 AM
Studio-Hades
Hassan cigarette cards, the Arctic ones in particular. The art borders on fine art and the color lithography is excellent for the time (1911). Pre WW2 Goudey and post ww2 Bowman made good looking sets too.