Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
any interest in animal cards?

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/5397000236

July 05, 2013, 10:36 AM
Studio-Hades
any interest in animal cards?
I'm working on artwork for my next series of cards. Of the 16 to 20 base cards, I wanted to make one animal. Just wondered if there is even any interest in animal cards even if the animal is cool. My top contenders are albino ape and flying fox. One card isnt a deal breaker for a set obviously, just wondered if there is even slight interest in animals. I've only done apes and horses before, and they seemed popular. Some "retro" crazes dont translate to modern buyers, though.

Thanks

Evan
Studio-Hades

July 05, 2013, 11:27 AM
Triple-Frog
Actually I have thought before that there might be a market for the more popular domestic pets like cats and dogs. I know a few people who collect all types of cat memorabilia and would probably be interested in a breeds of cat set.

Not sure about exotic animals though. Probably depends on the type of set as a whole. The Cryptids set from Viceroy did sell out eventually but took a while to do so. I would say there is a market but it's not a big one.
July 05, 2013, 05:29 PM
dcole
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
Actually I have thought before that there might be a market for the more popular domestic pets like cats and dogs. I know a few people who collect all types of cat memorabilia and would probably be interested in a breeds of cat set.

That's what I was thinking, too. I own a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and have a number of corgi-related collectibles, including trading cards. I also have two Siamese cats and collect related items, as well.

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.
July 05, 2013, 09:52 PM
Raven
Well if you wanted to be politically correct and environmentally friendly, how about an endangered species set. Sadly that could make for a lot of cards. Shake Head
July 06, 2013, 01:50 AM
Studio-Hades
Here is an example. Only animal in the set. Just wondering, ditch animal idea altogether and just devote that card to a more popular subject. I do like the endangered species idea though it would be easy to get a lot of funding, id end up donating a ton of time effort and money to WWF (not wrestling, the wildlife one)

Evan
Studio Hades

July 06, 2013, 04:18 AM
Juelle Lou
I love the endangered species set idea, I would definitely be in on that Smile
July 06, 2013, 07:46 AM
allender
There have been endangered species sets before, with photos. I love the idea of artwork showing expressions and "personality", if that's not too anthropomorphic or too cute. But I'm a card junkie, and I'm not sure a set would attract the huddled masses away from the internet.

If you did endangered species or something like it, I'd think you'd feel compelled to research the history, geography, etc. for the card backs. Maybe another idea would be a novel themed set that might really tie to artwork, like "Animals Behaving Badly" or "Animal Movie Stars" (where you could use images you might have thought of for Oz, Lone Ranger, etc.) ... Wink
July 06, 2013, 10:49 AM
treksearcher
I collect Cigarette/Tobacco cards as well as trading cards and some of my favourite sets are of wild-life including Butterflies and Moths. A set on endangered species would have some appeal.

Not sure on a mass appeal but would have a limited appeal.
July 06, 2013, 04:16 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Studio-Hades:
Here is an example. Only animal in the set. Just wondering, ditch animal idea altogether and just devote that card to a more popular subject. I do like the endangered species idea though it would be easy to get a lot of funding, id end up donating a ton of time effort and money to WWF (not wrestling, the wildlife one)

Evan
Studio Hades

If you use the idea don't forget to give me a credit. Big Grin

Honestly I don't know how popular it would be on it's own, but an endangered species set as a tie in to a charity is worth looking into. I get all sorts of calendars, greeting cards, pictures, etc. from these organizations when they want donations. Its not just WWF, there are marine mammals, gorillas, rain forest, African wildlife, you name it and someone is trying to save it.

And animal cards are cool for kids. Thumb Up
July 06, 2013, 06:52 PM
goldenavenger
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
There have been endangered species sets before, with photos. I love the idea of artwork showing expressions and "personality", if that's not too anthropomorphic or too cute. But I'm a card junkie, and I'm not sure a set would attract the huddled masses away from the internet.

If you did endangered species or something like it, I'd think you'd feel compelled to research the history, geography, etc. for the card backs. Maybe another idea would be a novel themed set that might really tie to artwork, like "Animals Behaving Badly" or "Animal Movie Stars" (where you could use images you might have thought of for Oz, Lone Ranger, etc.) ... Wink

I agree, I think interesting fact on the back is a must if you did endangered species cards.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744
July 06, 2013, 09:34 PM
Studio-Hades
The best thing about an endangered species set would be the relic cards. Rhino Horn pieces and ivory slices, and tiger pelt swatches.

Oh wait. Forget I said that. Nix the relic cards.
July 06, 2013, 09:47 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Studio-Hades:
The best thing about an endangered species set would be the relic cards. Rhino Horn pieces and ivory slices, and tiger pelt swatches.

Oh wait. Forget I said that. Nix the relic cards.

Those are the kind of remarks that will put you on the PETA hit list. Big Grin
July 06, 2013, 10:36 PM
Jessica
If you did Guinea Pig cards I would be all over that in a heartbeat and know a ton of non card collectors that would also be all over it.

July 07, 2013, 06:13 AM
wolfie
I've been told that i'm an endangered species so best do a wolfie card before it's too late. Big Grin

July 10, 2013, 11:13 AM
AWR
There was a set of animal cards from the 80s

http://bestofthe80s.wordpress....4/wildlife-treasury/
July 11, 2013, 07:09 AM
allender
If this discussion has engendered an interest in the endangered etc., you can see other animals card sets where we've been able to collate full checklists: Animals/Nature Mainstream Sets and Animals & Birds Tea/Tobacco/Trade Card Sets.

I point out that the older (mostly U.K.) small format sets have a lot of great images and text writeups, and are sometimes very inexpensive (especially if you are willing to forego NMT for some of the oldest/rarest). Some of the classics were reprinted.
July 13, 2013, 10:36 AM
Studio-Hades
At this point i am leaning towards rare/exotic animals and exremophiles. But artwork instead of photos. Of course im biased, but I think most cards that are'nt from licensed properties like tv shows and whatnot should all have artwork rather than photos.

Still, there isnt such a fascination with animals and big game hunting (politically incorrect anyway) like there was Pre-WW2.

July 15, 2013, 05:58 AM
HolmbergsCorner
My friend surprised me by showing of a full set of reptile trading cards from Diamondback Trading Cards. It had excellent pictures, very good information on the back and was printed on a nice type of paper which gave it a sturdy yet elegante feel to it.

And he is not a trading card collector...

The sad news for me is that he doesn't wanna give them up and they aren't for sale anywhere that I have seen. Not even the creator of the cards have any left in his own collection/stock.

If you do like reptiles, and can get a hold of those cards, I highly recommend them.
August 22, 2013, 11:33 AM
spaceace35
i'd love a bullmastiff card .I could supply photos too

August 22, 2013, 10:40 PM
btlfannz
Since someone has now revived this thread and since I missed having my two pennoth worth last time round, I'll jump in now.
Most people on this forum know that I only collect to 2000 but let me assure you that if there was one genre of cards that would be guaranteed to drag me kicking and screaming into this decade (year of the fruit bat) it would be an animal set. If it was even half-way decent I would grab a set immediately. My preference (in order) would be:
1. Dogs
2. Domestic pets
3. Endangered species
4. African animals
5. A "Most Wanted" set showing pictures of poachers, dealers and end users of endangered animals parts.