Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help IDing a set
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
I'm looking for information on this set of magic trick cards. The set has 24 cards. One of the cards has pencilled on it "Lyons Tea". Seeking title, date, etc. It looks to be a package design. It belongs to a friend of mine. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 2212 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bill

I have consulted my copies of the Cartophilic Society reference books on Trade Cards which eveals the following:-

The cards are cut from the end of a packet of Lyons Tea and are titled on the packet as Quick Puzzle cards. They date from about 1955 measuring 40 x 28 mm being red and white pictures with questions. The answers were at the other end of the packet in text form only measuring about 40 x 37 mm. 24 cards in series and a number of varieties are known such as backgrounds in red, white and grey. Card #4 is known with the flame of the candle in red or white and #24 with a coin red or white.

The cards themselves are taken from a previous Lyons set issued circa 1922 in Cocoa (not sure if the cocoa was in packets or tins). This set numbered 100 and was given the title Tricks and Puzzles. Again variations can be found with different coloured backgrounds, dotted stippled effects and plain grey which includes minor differences in colour.

Reference nos were LYO-1 in index Part I, amended to LYO-41 in index Part II and finally amended to LYO-390 in British Trade Index to 1970.

The 1922 set was given the ref no. LYO-510.

It is possible that the "Tricks and Puzzles" cards might be found on the open market but I very much doubt the same would apply to the packet issue "Quick Puzzles"

regards

John

ps

Looking on the Cartophilic web page I came across the following image front and back of card 52 from Tricks and Puzzles

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOHN LEVITT,

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John -- thanks so much for the information. This is exactly what I was looking for.

"It is possible that the "Tricks and Puzzles" cards might be found on the open market but I very much doubt the same would apply to the packet issue "Quick Puzzles""

Yes, the Tricks and Puzzles cards are available. At any given time there are usually some singles available on ebay (more on ebay.uk that the US site). I'm slowly building a set of them. But the "Quick Puzzles" set is new to me, and I don't recall ever seeing them before.

Posts: 2212 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bill

Glad to be of assistance. I have to admit until you made the request my knowledge of either set was absolutely zero, now I know a little more so many thanks.

regards

John

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's great work, John. I had no idea but Lyons Tea sounded British.

Jess

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Wow, that's great work, John. I had no idea but Lyons Tea sounded British.

Jess

It was just a question of having the right reference material to hand and knowing where else to look if not.

Also note Tea usually comes from China or India and the stereotype drinker is from the UK although I am not a tea or coffee drinker, hot chocolate not cocoa is more in my line so it had to be a British issue.

regards

John