Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Depp Wonka Autographs on eBay.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Depp Wonka Autographs on eBay.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted
This is kind of odd. . . I haven't seen a Johnny Depp Wonka autograph pop up for sale for years. . . Recently a listing popped up on eBay:

BIN $15045 Location Japan, Japan Item 235481320972 This one is not graded.

Several days later another pops up for sale:

BIN $7462.78 Location Japan, Japan Item 355587692518 BGS# 0010974102

Several more days third pops up:

BIN $5869.37 Located in: Osaka higashiosaka, Japan Item 375324936591 BGS# 0010974102

Note these are all from Japan -- and the last 2 auctions are not only the same card (see the BGS number), but the same photos.

Strange.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think it's only a matter of time before Depp officially signs something besides that Wonka card. It may not be a new licensed card. Maybe some send in your own items to a personal signing thing or he shows up on stickers. I think it will happen sooner rather than later because he could use the income and many in his peer group have already taken the easy gig in the last couple of years. I don't see him as being a philosophical holdout, but his signature is fairly disappointing.

Posts: 10417 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Besides the almost parody-like title for those listings which is "Johnny Depp Autograph Card Harry Potter Star Wars Topps" (the final three things being wholly unrelated to this card or Depp in any way), the seller is further trying to get Timothee Chalamet-money for ol' Johnny.
In 2024.
Good luck on that.
That ship has sailed.

Posts: 3329 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Can't help but think that I see higher auction prices being used to push lower auction prices but not the lowest auction price. If that makes any sense.

Posts: 4860 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Can't help but think that I see higher auction prices being used to push lower auction prices but not the lowest auction price. If that makes any sense.

If you are referring to those listings coming out of Japan, maybe. I have always found eBay items offered from places like Japan and China to be inherently problematic and I prefer not to risk it. There is enough risk when you have to rely on domestic laws without going Far East international and abandoning even the pretense of business oversight.

Posts: 10417 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I think it's only a matter of time before Depp officially signs something besides that Wonka card. It may not be a new licensed card. Maybe some send in your own items to a personal signing thing or he shows up on stickers. I think it will happen sooner rather than later because he could use the income and many in his peer group have already taken the easy gig in the last couple of years. I don't see him as being a philosophical holdout, but his signature is fairly disappointing.

OC Celebrity Had a few Depp signed items in some mystery boxes of theirs a few years back, I would HIGHLY suggest not giving them any money though, terrible company. The items were photos and not trading cards. I wanted one, but I refuse to give that company money LOL!!

(Edited to add: the company is terrible because it is terrible in every way - not because the items are not legit, as far as I know or have heard, the items are absolutely legit, it is just that the owner and company customer service is the worst).

Posts: 1952 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2 auctions that had the same pictures both ended over the weekend.

One auction due to the item no longer being available, and the other due to 'an error in the listing.'

I can't figure out why 2 different sellers would be selling the same card, using the same pictures.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
The 2 auctions that had the same pictures both ended over the weekend.

One auction due to the item no longer being available, and the other due to 'an error in the listing.'

I can't figure out why 2 different sellers would be selling the same card, using the same pictures.

This is commonplace with sellers being in Japan. I see it on sketch cards all the time, I don't watch auto auctions as close.

I think the game is this:

List item for 3x it's value.
List it again for almost as much.

List it again at 2x the value hoping that people think sale number 3 is a bargain because of "comps".

I've seen the same sketch listed 2 and 3 times, almost always with the exact same scan.

It's kind of like shill bidding, but trying to make a fake "comp" price to push sales up. I have to assume this is either all the same seller or friends playing the game together.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed, please answer your e-mails!

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting, that makes sense, Ed!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There is a trailer circulating for something called "Jeanne du Barry" starring Johnny Depp, at least that's what it says. The trailer is in French with subtitles. Between the language and his face, I would not have known it was Depp without having been told.

I think a lot has finally caught up to him and, unless he manages to have one of those rare Robert Downey Jr. career resurrections, he will slip into small parts in small movies that need an old name to put above the title.