Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Promo cards come out to play.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Promo cards come out to play.
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted
Just noticed masses of promos appearing on ebay, now i don't mean lots of promos, i mean masses of the same promo.

Remember those Jay lynch martians promos from the philly show that came in pairs that you put together?......

900 in one auction Eek

Also job lots of 25 or 50 etc...where do these come from and what does it do to the value of your cards, if they ever had any real value that is.

Posts: 29003 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that is weird. You would think there wouldn't be that many leftover but who knows. We hardly ever hear the print run of many promos. Maybe they gave out a few hundred or several hundred so there might be 900 extra if the run was 1500-2000.

I've noticed some previously hard-to-find promos appearing for sale and the seller has had a few of each and they're cheap now. Sometimes, the lot sits unsold for months. You wonder what the deal is on those. They should've tried to sell them years ago but maybe the collector liked having them back then but was more the casual type so the cards got put away at some point. Maybe the collector passed away and his/her heirs are just parting it all out now and are happy if they get some gas money out of it all because taking the time to research anything is a pain.

Over the past several years, I've noticed at least one seller offering cheap lots of 20-50 of the same promo but they're usually something that was common or rather common. Sometimes, there was something interesting. Back in the 90's, I might have jumped on a lot of 10 of something unusual so I'd have something to add to my trade list but fewer people seem to trade these days so I haven't bought anything for use as trade pieces in years.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Just noticed masses of promos appearing on ebay, now i don't mean lots of promos, i mean masses of the same promo.

Remember those Jay lynch martians promos from the philly show that came in pairs that you put together?......

900 in one auction Eek

Also job lots of 25 or 50 etc...where do these come from and what does it do to the value of your cards, if they ever had any real value that is.

Posts: 4415 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
More and more pouring onto ebay in quantity, they appear to be coming from the same seller. I mean who on earth wants 30 of the same P1 when 1 of them is worth next to nothing.

Whats worse there are also multiples of unsigned autograph cards and blank sketch cards. Who knows where this lot will end up. Eek

Posts: 29003 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can't say I'm surprised with the early promos -- they were printed in huge quantities to be given away. I'd bet big show promoters probably wound up with 800 ct boxes of lots of them.

The rare cards, unsigned autographs and blank sketches bother me a lot more.

I swear I remember seeing somewhere Dino from Dart Flipcards was drilling holes in these rare chase cards / unsigned autographs that weren't distributed . . . but then a year or two ago lots of unsigned Dart cards started popping up.

I've probably told this story before, but many years ago I was collecting the Judge Dredd Epics and Movie sets. Each release had a very hard to find 4 card set -- like 1 card per 360 packs or something. After hunting for these for a long time I think I had 1 or 2 of the cards.

One day I was at the Motor City Comic Convention and there was a table -- I forget what the table was for, but I don't think it was a regular collectibles dealer maybe a charity or something, but the entire table was covered in team-set bagged sets of just the rare cards. I want to say each 4-card set was like $10.

I bought a few sets, but apparently everyone else did too as these are no longer rare at all. I was shocked not only to just see a table full of something I'd been hunting for over a period of years, but also just that they printed that many and didn't distribute them. . .

Posts: 5422 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:

I was shocked that they printed that many and didn't distribute them. .

I think the Inkworks debacle showed that the insertion rate could not be used to work out how many cards existed, only how many had been inserted.