Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
customs charges on good less than threshold/allowance?

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/2567077476

February 18, 2015, 02:19 PM
richnet
customs charges on good less than threshold/allowance?
i see customs charges are being imposed by the automatic customs charging even when the value of the goods would not incur customs charges. So where is that money going if the customs wouldn't have asked or expected it on that value?

on a £15 card there was $9 customs charge.

i asked the seller and he said its nothing to do with him.

from hmrc site

"You don’t pay Customs Duty if you owe less than £9."

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-g...-from-outside-the-eu

...if you can count them you haven't got enough.
February 18, 2015, 02:22 PM
wolfie
that sounds like the global shipping programme, it's a great get out for the sellers as it is nothing to do with them but it is totally useless for loads of buyers getting the lower end purchases.

February 18, 2015, 03:43 PM
richnet
if the money is not expected by customs despite it being collected on the pretext of customs one wonders where it is going?

February 18, 2015, 03:47 PM
Neilsy
Customs duty only applies for amounts above £135. What you have to pay is VAT at 20%, this only applies to items bought above £15. So if you card cost was exactly £15 you shouldnt pay anything.

However I often find the seller adds the costs of postage and package on the declaration form taking it over the limit.

If it was the global shipping programme they charge you fees and shipping costs ontop of the actual vat you pay.
February 18, 2015, 03:50 PM
richnet
lol vat on post and packing. yes its the global shipping thingy

February 18, 2015, 03:53 PM
richnet
i did have one guy put on the customs form not what i paid but what he thought it was worth according to some book which was three times what i paid for it. lolo what fun explaining that one.

February 18, 2015, 08:11 PM
WarriorBabe
Totally avoid US sellers using the GSP on items which would not normally incur charges. Total ripoff doesnt even cover it!

February 19, 2015, 06:24 AM
hammer
the E-Bay selling fee is calculated including P&P as well! The killer is when you get a £2 VAT fee and £8 Handling charge from Royal Mail Shake Head
April 08, 2015, 12:11 PM
cheifbrody
I just had a custom charge or a single card for £22.30, that's 22 items in the pound shop plus 30p
April 09, 2015, 11:00 AM
JR2D2
Any US seller using the GSP simply does not get my business. If I see GSP on a listing I move on. Shame because it should not affect a seller whether they use it or not. They say what the GSP charges is out of there hands but so is customs at the other end of the deal so why should it make a difference to seller being involved in the GSP in the first place.

I wonder if anyone ever did any research to see if GSP has affected international sales. My bet is that the GSP has a negative effect on sellers.
April 09, 2015, 11:40 AM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by JR2D2:

Any seller using the GSP simply does not get my business. If I see GSP on a listing I move on.

Same here, I will not touch an auction using this system.