Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Spartacus -

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/2527056906

September 13, 2011, 02:19 AM
KAZ
Spartacus -
As you may know Andy Whitfield starring Spartacus past away this Sunday.

In the day all Spartacus Andy's auto disappeared from the auctions sites. Then today they start to reappearing but the price raise up !

I think it's the buisness law but it's not good and not fair for the hobby.
September 13, 2011, 05:58 AM
beamer
When a famous personality passes, their memorabilia tends to increase in price and value for a few months, then settles back to where it was before they died.
September 14, 2011, 12:06 AM
Raven
Its ghoulish, but it happens all the time.

Best thing collectors can do is ignor it. If you didn't need his autograph before, you don't need it now.

And beamer is right, the prices will spike for a little while and than drop back down. So anyone selling now will make a profit, but anyone just buying in is already getting the inflated price.
September 16, 2011, 06:31 PM
drofdarb
I was in the process of negotiating a "best offer" on ebay for spartacus, the dealer actually retracted the counter-offer and jacked the price up like $150 bucks..
September 16, 2011, 06:33 PM
Mister E.
You know your name is bradford - spelled backwards ??? The next city over from mine.

September 16, 2011, 06:52 PM
Juelle Lou
quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:
I was in the process of negotiating a "best offer" on ebay for spartacus, the dealer actually retracted the counter-offer and jacked the price up like $150 bucks..

Don't you hate it when sellers do that!
I've had that happen to me on a couple of occasions, not for the same reason though.
September 16, 2011, 07:43 PM
cardaddict
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the TWILIGHT ZONE Cliff Robertson autos. It is ghoulish, but human nature has a long way to go before it acquires 'human' characteristics, meaning noble and grand and altruistic and all that other garbage that would make life so darn boring.
September 17, 2011, 07:14 AM
drofdarb
quote:
Originally posted by Mister E.:
You know your name is bradford - spelled backwards ??? The next city over from mine.

Actually, my first name is Bradford... apparantly in my ancestery one of my relatives was the Mayor of that sh!thole.. though my Mum denies that is the reason why I got the name..
September 17, 2011, 08:44 AM
webjon
Anytime someone makes the news it can impact the prices of their cards, the more shocking the news the more it impacts the value. A tragic death is sometimes the most shocking news of all.

The cards certainly will spike up for a while, but will eventually drop. . . but it's hard to tell how far they will drop, a lot of that will depend on the rarity of the card. . . in a shocking, tragic death most autograph cards remain at a premium price (compared to before the tragedy, but far off from the peak) long term.

Jon