Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Mars Attacks cards come to life
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Mars Attacks cards come to life
 Login/Join
 
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted
Designer Justin Gammon has done a nifty job animating some of the original Mars Attacks cards: http://www.beckett.com/news/vi...rds-brought-to-life/


____________________
Ryan Cracknell
http://www.tradercracks.com

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook
 
Posts: 1150 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
VERY cool! Strangely enough, over the last few months I've been animating some of the paintings of Amanda Visell - http://www.elementdesigner.com/#/nacht/
 
Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
These are very creative, I wish they were real cards. Which begs the question, why isn't something like this produced under the category of digital cards? Why are we referring to pictures of real cards as digital cards when they are not cards, only images of cards, and have no substance of their own? At least these GIFs have taken the original cards and added movement to create something brand new. I could understand someone wanting to collect a whole run of this version of Mars Attack cards as a digital set. I could not understand it if they were actually produced as real cards. I would like to own them as real cards, but they would probably never look this good. Very nice work.
 
Posts: 8568 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
These are very creative, I wish they were real cards. Which begs the question, why isn't something like this produced under the category of digital cards? Why are we referring to pictures of real cards as digital cards when they are not cards, only images of cards, and have no substance of their own? At least these GIFs have taken the original cards and added movement to create something brand new. I could understand someone wanting to collect a whole run of this version of Mars Attack cards as a digital set. I could not understand it if they were actually produced as real cards. I would like to own them as real cards, but they would probably never look this good. Very nice work.


Agreed on all points. Why not animated digital cards? You could feature portraits of the cast / stars that slightly rotate or move (think, Harry Potter newspapers) or feature a scene from a film or tv show. The possibilities are endless.

Of course you could also do physical looping lenticular cards, but it seems most card companies these days don't want to spend any money on higher-end technology like that.
 
Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:


Agreed on all points. Why not animated digital cards? You could feature portraits of the cast / stars that slightly rotate or move (think, Harry Potter newspapers) or feature a scene from a film or tv show. The possibilities are endless.

Of course you could also do physical looping lenticular cards, but it seems most card companies these days don't want to spend any money on higher-end technology like that.


They're coming. Topps' new hockey card app debuted a card that has video. I think the issue there is storage (ironically). The current card apps use a lot of cache (think gigabytes over the course of a few months if you use regularly). Video would make that worse I suspect. And for those of us with not enough memory, that's an issue -- plus they have to host it.

____________________
Ryan Cracknell
http://www.tradercracks.com

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook
 
Posts: 1150 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
These are very creative, I wish they were real cards. Which begs the question, why isn't something like this produced under the category of digital cards? Why are we referring to pictures of real cards as digital cards when they are not cards, only images of cards, and have no substance of their own? At least these GIFs have taken the original cards and added movement to create something brand new. I could understand someone wanting to collect a whole run of this version of Mars Attack cards as a digital set. I could not understand it if they were actually produced as real cards. I would like to own them as real cards, but they would probably never look this good. Very nice work.


Agreed on all points. Why not animated digital cards? You could feature portraits of the cast / stars that slightly rotate or move (think, Harry Potter newspapers) or feature a scene from a film or tv show. The possibilities are endless.

Of course you could also do physical looping lenticular cards, but it seems most card companies these days don't want to spend any money on higher-end technology like that.


I like lenticulars too, but some come off better than others. I have found that in general, many tend to be too dark, too fuzzy, or both. Then at worst, sometimes the movement effect is not even worth it. However when it works lenticulars look great.
 
Posts: 8568 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
These are very creative, I wish they were real cards. Which begs the question, why isn't something like this produced under the category of digital cards? Why are we referring to pictures of real cards as digital cards when they are not cards, only images of cards, and have no substance of their own? At least these GIFs have taken the original cards and added movement to create something brand new. I could understand someone wanting to collect a whole run of this version of Mars Attack cards as a digital set. I could not understand it if they were actually produced as real cards. I would like to own them as real cards, but they would probably never look this good. Very nice work.


Agreed on all points. Why not animated digital cards? You could feature portraits of the cast / stars that slightly rotate or move (think, Harry Potter newspapers) or feature a scene from a film or tv show. The possibilities are endless.

Of course you could also do physical looping lenticular cards, but it seems most card companies these days don't want to spend any money on higher-end technology like that.


I like lenticulars too, but some come off better than others. I have found that in general, many tend to be too dark, too fuzzy, or both. Then at worst, sometimes the movement effect is not even worth it. However when it works lenticulars look great.


I think Rittenhouse did the very best lenticular work. Their later Star Trek and Bond "Motion" sets were very clear and had clean FPS motion. This was because they used newer lenticular technology that printed the image directly on the lens (as opposed to using the paper-backed kind). That, along with a very fine lens, made some of the most exceptional lenticular cards.
 
Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Mars Attacks cards come to life

© Non-Sport Update 2013