Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    Travelers Inquiry?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travelers Inquiry?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted
Maybe this is the right place for this question.

One of the challenges of flying is transporting what you purchase or trade for back home.

What are some cost-effective ways to get the bounty home within the USA?

Posts: 4230 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Depends . . . I've shipped stuff once or twice, I typically try to carry whatever I can on to the plane. 800 count boxes hold quite a bit of stuff, travel pretty well (I usually secure the cards inside with paper towel to keep 'em from moving around), and pack very well.

This is definitely problematic, especially for fragile stuff. . .

Good luck!

Posts: 5422 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Try to avoid buying big items, like binders, if possible. Cards are not too bad, but put anything valuable in your carry-on, don't trust it to checked baggage. Like Jon said, shipping is an option, but can get costly, especially if you have to buy packing supplies and then the cost of mailing, and then finding a post office or other outlet to ship it. I also usually pack an smaller empty suitcase in my larger suitcase just to transport stuff home. If you do find that you brought too much and it won't fit in the suitcase(s) you brought with you, try looking for another suitcase at Target or similar store, you can usually find ones for around $40 and even if they airline charges you $25 for an additional bag, it's probably cheaper and less hassle than shipping excess items, and you will have an extra suitcase for future travels!

Posts: 5790 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
What Batman suggests is excellent. You wouldn't believe the stuff you accumulate until it comes to posting.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And stuff does accumulate like crazy. . .

last time I was in San Diego I sold the binder I got in the Artbox goodie bags dirt cheap to a dealer, and ended up putting all the commons from the boxes I bought out for other people to take.

Posts: 5422 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Big Grin

Anybody else with a creative suggestion?

Posts: 4230 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if there is PO near the Allentown show, or does the hotel offer shipping service?

By chance, does anyone know the size and weight limits for carry-ons?

I'm hoping to ride with a group, but just in case flying may work out. Want to be ready in either case.

Wave

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtime:
Does anyone know if there is PO near the Allentown show, or does the hotel offer shipping service?

By chance, does anyone know the size and weight limits for carry-ons?

I'm hoping to ride with a group, but just in case flying may work out. Want to be ready in either case.

Wave

xtime~

I've never checked in to this but I just looked this up for you. There is a Post Office .5 miles from the Merchants Square Mall and another 2 miles from the Mall. Bear in mind that they would not be open on Sunday, when the show closes and you would have to wait until Monday.

I think your carry-on restrictions will vary by airline. I did a quick check for you. I couldn't find a weight restriction listed on American Airline's site for carry-ons but I did find one on US Airways -- 40 pounds and size limited listed as "up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm)"

Hope that helps.

Harris

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
In addition to what Harris said, the post office is generally only open until noon on Saturday, so that's a short window since the show opens at ten on Saturday. The hotel may be able to help, if you know where you are staying, I would inquire. You might also consider asking a card talk member to help out as you could pack everything and give it to them and they could possibly mail it out to you on Monday after the show. There are a number of possibilities, but the most important one is coming to Allentown! Thumb Up

Posts: 5790 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Thanks Harris & Batman.

Will keep working out the kinks.

Wavey