Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Simpsons Mania! (Inkworks)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simpsons Mania! (Inkworks)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted
WORST - BOX - EVER

bye bye hard earned money..... Wavey

Got a box, was hoping for a sketch card or a consolation auto card - NOTHING, NADA

I got 1 base set
Simpsadelic Blacklight 5 & 6(didn't even get 3, these were given odds of 1 in 11 packs)
Fold 'em 4 & 5

That's it!
Mad Mad Mad: Shake Head Shake Head

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xSaBx,

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
Wow where did you find a box of that at?

Sorry to hear you didn't pull anything good.

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Well, this is another of inkworks older sets, the Sketches were 1 in 4 boxes and autos 1 in 2

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Dan is right about the insertion rates. I remember opening a case of 10 boxes and just pulling 2 sketch cards while some dealers pulled 3 out of a case.

Posts: 420 | Location: USA | Registered: October 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
One of my friend's best card stories deals with this set.
G.Goodin who sometimes visits this site, went to suncoast(when these were released) and picked 1 pack each from 2 different boxes of Simpson Mania and got a nancy cartwright auto from one pack and a radioactive man sketch from the other.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Here's my best pulls from about 3 cases of Simpsons Mania, mostly purchased back in 2001.

I opened 2 sealed cases and got 3 sketchcards in one and 4 in the other, if I'm not mistaken. The third case is only approximate as I bought a few boxes from various places (one had the Flanders below) and about 10 polybags from good ol' Marchant cards, which were loaded with sketches. Those were the last sealed packs I was able to find of these and that was about 3-4 years ago. I remember getting a sketch in pretty much every other Marchant bag (which cost $54 per 36 pack polybag), so that was a tremendous buy, because there were also lots of autographs in those. I also bought 1 or 2 off of Ebay including the color one of Homer.

The set features every single family member, and a few solid supporting characters. The Phil Ortiz sketch, by the way, is of Karl who was Homer's assistant (voiced by Harvey Fierstein) in the classic early episode in which Homer gets hair and is promoted to management at the power plant.

Enjoy these and head on over to the old "Scooby Doo Monsters and Mysteries" breakdown page for my sketches from that great series. (I bought about 3 cases of Scooby M&M and got 12 sketches, plus I've bought and sold several on Ebay over the last few years. I have all 9 artists, each member of the Scooby Gang, and even a cool villain card)

Simpsons Mania artists, left to right:
top: Mike Anderson,Julius Preite,Swinton Scott middle: Jim Reardon, Wes Archer, Mark Kirkland bottom: David Silverman, Rich Moore,Phil Ortiz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Not a breakdown, really, but here's a 2nd set I'm working on, to go with the one directly above:

This one needs missing a Jim Reardon (fairly easy) and a Phil Ortiz (very tough!) to be another complete set of 9. Reardon drew most of his cards the same, whereas Ortiz drew an incredible variety of different characters.

And Reardon is the more important of the two, in terms of their contributions to the success of the series as he is a longtime episode director with many classics to his credit, while Phil Ortiz has most of his Simpsons work in the Bongo Comics line. Even so, thanks to the great variety and detail in his cards, a Phil Ortiz is worth 3 times as much ($300 versus $100) and the simpler (and mostly Bart) cards drawn by Reardon). Ortiz did such a great job on his cards that they are valued about the same as the Rich Moore cards, the only ones in color, and about twice as much as any card by David Silverman and Wesley Archer, arguably the two most important and accomplished animators to ever draw a sketch card.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Not a breakdown, really, but here's a 2nd set I'm working on, to go with the one directly above:

This one needs missing a Jim Reardon (fairly easy) and a Phil Ortiz (very tough!) to be another complete set of 9. Reardon drew most of his cards the same, whereas Ortiz drew an incredible variety of different characters.

And Reardon is the more important of the two, in terms of their contributions to the success of the series as he is a longtime episode director with many classics to his credit, while Phil Ortiz has most of his Simpsons work in the Bongo Comics line. Even so, thanks to the great variety and detail in his cards, a Phil Ortiz is worth 3 times as much ($300 versus $100) and the simpler (and mostly Bart) cards drawn by Reardon). Ortiz did such a great job on his cards that they are valued about the same as the Rich Moore cards, the only ones in color, and about twice as much as any card by David Silverman and Wesley Archer, arguably the two most important and accomplished animators to ever draw a sketch card.

WOW, WHAT A COLLECTION. I'M GREEN WITH ENVY DID I MENTION I WAS GREEN WITH ENVY? Big Grin Big Grin Wave

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jane!

Not being "made of money" as they say, I actually didn't intend to make that second set, until around this time last year when someone (you could say foolishly) listed 4 or 5 sketches and an autograph set in a single auction. (Sketches and autos from the Mania set are much better to sell individually due to the many collectors who are in various stages of completing their sets.)

Anyway, the final bid for that lot was still pretty high, but I was able to win the auction knowing I could get much of the money back just by selling the autographs individually (which I'd no problem doing since I'd finished my set of those long ago.). The plan worked to a "T" and netted me not only the Professor Frink by Archer but also the Rich Moore "bondage" Marge in color for well under $100 each by my estimate. Just after that, my trusted distributor Tom Breyer came up with a great run of sketches and though I missed some beauties (including the famed Phil Ortiz sketch of Matt Groening himself!), I did net 3 more for a great price from Tom. That, and a bit more wheeling and dealing pretty much comprises the 7 card set shown in the more recent post. I could easily get another Reardon to make it 8 out of a full set of 9, but Phil Ortiz cards are few and far between thanks to the amazing variety of characters he drew, so I'm not holding my breath on ever finding another of those.

Even, so I am absolutely delighted with my 16 Mania sketches. If I kept every single one I ever had, I think it would be somewhere around 40, but then, I'd have gone to the poorhouse long ago (as opposed to right after the release of the next $500 case of cards I can't say no to, probably Empire 3D Widevision!)

Surely some other Card Talkers have some of these, and I'd love to see them, and I know I'm not alone. Please post 'em if you got 'em!