Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Yearbox 2008 (Strictly Ink)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4026073384/m/2921033113

February 12, 2009, 07:39 AM
Dalekfan
Yearbox 2008 (Strictly Ink)
Yup, that's the one. Here it is. Sorry, I forget that some people aren't Who-nuts like me. I mistakenly assume that everyone knows the Whomobile... Smokin'

February 12, 2009, 09:48 PM
Redemption
Very cute! lol

I'd heard of the Supermobile, the Batmobile, and the Popemobile, but never the Whomobile. Big Grin

February 13, 2009, 02:26 AM
TheUberBob
quote:
Originally posted by Redemption:
Very cute! lol

I'd heard of the Supermobile, the Batmobile, and the Popemobile, but never the Whomobile. Big Grin

Technically, it's called "The Alien" in real life. It never had a name in the show. It was commissioned by Jon Pertwee for his personal use and it was put into two of the stories of his final season.

-Bob-

February 13, 2009, 06:19 AM
Dalekfan
quote:
Originally posted by TheUberBob:
quote:
Very cute! lol

Technically, it's called "The Alien" in real life. It never had a name in the show. It was commissioned by Jon Pertwee for his personal use and it was put into two of the stories of his final season.

-Bob-

...although in one of the stories it wasn't complete at the time of recording.
February 13, 2009, 05:47 PM
Redemption
quote:
Originally posted by Dalekfan:
quote:
quote:
Very cute! lol

-Bob-

Interesting... wish I had seen those. Thanks for the information guys! Thumb Up

February 13, 2009, 06:38 PM
TheUberBob
quote:
Originally posted by Dalekfan:
quote:

-Bob-

That it correct! The canopy wasn't finished so a windscreen was hastily installed.

-Bob-

February 15, 2009, 07:22 PM
Kevin F
One final roll of the dice on this particular set of yearboxes. Note the set number Big Grin

If there is a Robert Hack or Christina Aguilera fan out there interested in doing a trade for the Celebrity Sketch in this set, please let me know.
February 15, 2009, 09:32 PM
Redemption
So are you pleased with this roll of the dice?

February 16, 2009, 05:11 AM
Kevin F
Sort of. I had hoped that the very last set would have had at least one really good sketch in it, e.g. Martineck, Aragon or Mangue. The Nik card is a better skeleton ink sketch than the one I already have. The Pegasus sketch is excellent as is the Pterodactyl (I developed a real liking for Chris Henderson's work on this set and will probably try to pick a couple more of his off eBay). The Perez piccie is not exactly great but does have the redeeming factor that it is the only sketch I have acquired that shows a scene from 'Three Worlds of Gulliver'
February 16, 2009, 05:20 PM
Redemption
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
The Perez piccie is not exactly great but does have the redeeming factor that it is the only sketch I have acquired that shows a scene from 'Three Worlds of Gulliver'

That's what it was! lol I missed the little person in the forground. Big Grin

February 16, 2009, 11:27 PM
Redemption
So was there ever a reason given why the Harryhausen set wasn't made? I must have missed it. Shake Head

February 17, 2009, 08:11 AM
Kevin F
I don't think the reason has been released by Strictly Ink. If I were to hazard a guess I would say licensing costs could have been prohibitively high. The rights to most of Ray Harryhausen's films are owned by Sony-Columbia and they demand large sums of money for any product licenses. I approached them myself a couple of years back in connection with a project I wanted to implement. Back then, they wouldn't even start talking for less than $20,000 up front Shake Head
February 17, 2009, 08:16 AM
hammer
Having said that, the fact that sketch cards were released makes you wonder what went on - unless the sketch cards weren't approved!!!!
February 17, 2009, 07:51 PM
Kevin F
I don't know about that. However, the small print on the back of the Yearset set number card includes this statement:

"The cards issue in this have been for in-house promotion only. No copyright infringement is intended and the individual cards are not sold as a licensed release, all copyright belongs with their respective licensees."

So they weren't 'officially' released just sold off in anonymous bundles in a sort of lottery Big Grin
February 18, 2009, 03:29 PM
Triple-Frog
Makes you wonder about the legal position when re-selling the cards on Ebay and the like.
February 19, 2009, 05:26 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
"The cards issue in this have been for in-house promotion only. No copyright infringement is intended and the individual cards are not sold as a licensed release, all copyright belongs with their respective licensees."

So they weren't 'officially' released just sold off in anonymous bundles in a sort of lottery Big Grin

The fact that the sketch cards have "the harryhausen collection" printed on them seems to run a very thin line on copyright