Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
anyone have info if this is a promo?

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/274605453/m/6397021926

February 28, 2013, 04:32 PM
cardscout182
anyone have info if this is a promo?
gday everyone, now, I know someone out there has some info on this card i found, the front has 3 animated colour drawings, the back states it as advertisement Robert Crumb's A short history of America... a brief story on the underground artist and how to order the posters from kitchen sink press,
can anyone shed some light on this promo/card??
quote:
please, a little respect, for I am Costanza, lord if the idiots

February 28, 2013, 10:46 PM
promoking
A scan would help Smile

March 02, 2013, 04:44 AM
chesspieceface
That actual poster is one of the few I have on my wall. It is a classic work of art.

The card you describe is very likely from the Kitchen Sink set issued in 1987 or 1988. I think it was a 32 card set. They were issued 1 per week at comic shops and were offered briefly as complete sets directly from Kitchen Sink once the promotion had ended. They are a little bigger than regular cards. Subjects include the many varied projects the now defunct Kitchen Sink press was publishing/distributing around that time. I haven't looked at them in a long time, but I think there are at least 2 more cards featuring Robert Crumb artwork in the set.

March 02, 2013, 06:51 PM
chesspieceface
I took a look at the Kitchen Sink cards I described (it's actually 36 cards and is from 1989), but didn't notice the Short History of America card in question.

I have seen it before though, so I'm now thinking it was a promo card in one of the Kitchen Sink boxed card sets. I'll see if I can find it.

July 10, 2018, 07:52 PM
catskilleagle
I have this card and also believe it could have been a bonus card inserted with one of the Kitchen Sink boxed sets or it might have just been sent to some dealers like the Ed Wood Jr. Players (Kitchen Sink) card which was also marked as an "advertisement."

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I took a look at the Kitchen Sink cards I described (it's actually 36 cards and is from 1989), but didn't notice the Short History of America card in question.

I have seen it before though, so I'm now thinking it was a promo card in one of the Kitchen Sink boxed card sets. I'll see if I can find it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
February 11, 2021, 12:58 AM
catskilleagle
The original 12-panel work details not just the urbanization of America across the roughly 100 years between the mid-19th and mid-20th centuries but also the increasing ugliness of it as the trees disappear, the cars take over and the buildings lose character. There have been different versions of it over the years including a color version and a 15-panel piece showing three possible futures for the 12th panel. The card shows three of the twelve panels of a color poster version.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
February 15, 2021, 06:37 PM
cardscout182
yes Cats, that's the card, Thanks for the info. So it's a promo you think? Thumb Up
April 04, 2022, 12:26 AM
catskilleagle
Oh yeah, it's a promo all the way. Todd lists it in PCE2008.

quote:
Originally posted by cardscout182:
yes Cats, that's the card, Thanks for the info. So it's a promo you think? Thumb Up